Chrome Packages?

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2016, 06:46 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Chrome Packages?

Does anyone know if the division offered a chrome package on the D88 as an upgrade over the base? My '64 is a base convertible and lacks chrome fender trim and chrome lower rockers. I haven't found any literature that denotes if such a package existed or not but I have found at least 1 other '64 convertible that have the chrome trim around the fenders and rockers, and that's about the extent of the differences in our cars.

Not that I'm missing the chrome - less polishing is a good thing!

Thanks!

Last edited by btw; March 4th, 2016 at 06:59 AM. Reason: add pic
Old March 4th, 2016, 08:35 AM

In looking up 1964 Olds Dynamic 88 Images on the net, it seems that some had the chrome and some did not. It may have simply been an option package, or possibly a mid year change. I even saw at least one that had the fender lip Mouldings and didn't have the rocker panel Moulding. Maybe someone else will be able to clear this up. Larry
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

The external trim was a function of the model chosen.

The Starfire, Jetstar I, Super 88, Dynamic 88, and Jetstar 88 all used different chrome trim that was specific to each model. I'll also point out that all Dynamic 88 models came from the factory with the site trim spears. If yours truly is a Dynamic 88 per the VIN, and it does not have the trim, then someone removed it and filled the holes.
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Joe ,I believe the left front fender Wheel opening Moulding (GM #384615) was used on all 1964 model full size Olds,unless they had the optional lights in each front fender,that shined when the turn signal was turned on to give better when turning at night. I stand corrected ,if I am wrong. Weren't the front fenders all interchangeable on all full size 1964 Oldsmobiles,unless they had that turn light option? Larry
Old March 4th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Larry, those lights were referred to as cornering lights. On some models over the years the wheel opening moldings were an option. I have no idea if they were on these models or not.
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Joe ,I believe the left front fender Wheel opening Moulding (GM #384615) was used on all 1964 model full size Olds,unless they had the optional lights in each front fender,that shined when the turn signal was turned on to give better when turning at night. I stand corrected ,if I am wrong. Weren't the front fenders all interchangeable on all full size 1964 Oldsmobiles,unless they had that turn light option? Larry
That is correct. Even the lowly Jetstar 88 got the wheel opening moldings. The OP's car has had the trim removed at some time in the last 52 years. Lots can happen in half a century.

As for available trim packages in the 1964 model year, here are the only optional ones offered by Olds on the B-body cars, per the SPECS manual:

B80 - Mouldings [sic], Roof Drip
B85 - Mouldings, Belt
B87 - Guard, Fuel Filler Door
B90 - Frames, Door Window (Celebrity Sedan only)
B92 - Mouldings, Roof Rail Reveal (Holiday Coupe only)
B93 - Guards, Door-Edge
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Starfire is a different animal with its vents.

Each series' collision repair part came punched for the specific model's trim pieces, though in later years I'm sure it was a "one part fits all" deal.

But yes, all 64 FSC front fenders will interchange as far as bolting to the car. Trim, not so much as SF and Ninety Eight had specific wheel arch mouldings to connect to their rocker mouldings.
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:55 AM

BTW is not the only one that owns a 1964 Olds Dynamic without the Wheel Opening Mouldings. I found at least 4 others by a search on the Internet (1964 Olds Dynamic 88 Images). I didn't find any Dynamic 88's with the Corning lights,but there is a '64 Jetstar with them. In '64 the cornering lights must have been a option ,because the "98's"were not all equipped with them. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (58.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; March 5th, 2016 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Change
Old March 5th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
In '64 the cornering lights must have been a option ,because the "98's were not all equipped with them. Larry
RPO T87 - Lamps, Safety Cornering $34.43

These were an available option on all 1964 B-body and C-body cars except the J88.
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:35 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The OP's car has had the trim removed at some time in the last 52 years. Lots can happen in half a century.

As for available trim packages in the 1964 model year, here are the only optional ones offered by Olds on the B-body cars, per the SPECS manual:

B80 - Mouldings [sic], Roof Drip
B85 - Mouldings, Belt
B87 - Guard, Fuel Filler Door
B90 - Frames, Door Window (Celebrity Sedan only)
B92 - Mouldings, Roof Rail Reveal (Holiday Coupe only)
B93 - Guards, Door-Edge
Yet one more good reason to ask those in the know on the best Olds site on the www! And for what its worth, any nostalgia of missing the pot metal on the fenders I can make up with the wheel appearance package!

AutoFair is coming to Charlotte in a month - maybe I can score some rockers in the vendor tent city.