Starter?

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Starter?

First of all, where is the starter located on a 62 Dynamic 88? I got a manual coming but I dont want to wait.

Second, this car has been one contradiction after another ever since I bought her. I thought it was the breaker points after a huge rain and a hurricane so I take out the old points. The condenser is attached, but the new points dont have anywhere to mount the condenser to. No wire or screw or anything. I put the points on and the car almost catches and starts several times, but even with starter fluid sprayed into the 4bbl it wont. And this is without a condenser. I sand and wipe off the old points and put them back on and it still wont even try to start. My mom says she thinks its the starter.

Can anyone give me any clues? The vacuum advance control is rusty. Should i change that? The vacuum hose itself flows.

EDIT: And in case anyone is wondering why I dont drive it on a ramp and look for the starter under the car, cuz I dont have a ramp, but I plan on getting it when I get the money.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Beer Connoisseur

If the engine is turning it's not the starter.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Administrator

You need to either add a condenser or get another set of unipoints with the condenser built in.

unipoints:

points and condenser - separate:
Old July 8th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

These images may also help:

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2014, 03:45 PM

If you need the manual you can sign up at wildaboutcars.com. You can download pdfs and print out. The 61 manual is the one you need, 62 is just a supplement to the 61.

I have the physical manuals but it's good to access the pdf's via wildaboutcars.com when I leave the manuals in the garage.
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Or, if your distributor rotates CCW viewed from above:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ha ha ha. I think it would have driven home the point better with the word "Corvette" backwards.

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Ok, maybe there is a part missing on the condenser because I do not see a wire running from the condenser on the old part. Maybe it got washed away in the hurricane or something (sarcasm). Tomorrow morning I will try to finagle the condenser to work and if I still cant get the engine to catch, I will take the new breaker points back to NAPA and either get a set with a condenser attached, or figure out how to attach a new condenser to the new points. Thanks everyone.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:20 PM

The condenser does not actually attach to the points. The wire from the condenser attaches to the points, there is a screw on most points, loosen it slide the condenser wire in and tighten it. The condenser attaches on the opposite side of the distributor with one small screw same as the screws that hold down the points. If your not sure what your doing get a manual or google it. Go to Wild About Cars join free get free manuals. Also the distributor wire that connects to the coil is attached to the same terminal on the points as the condenser wire.

Last edited by steverw; July 8th, 2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: info
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by steverw
The condenser does not actually attach to the points. The wire from the condenser attaches to the points, there is a screw on most points, loosen it slide the condenser wire in and tighten it. The condenser attaches on the opposite side of the distributor with one small screw same as the screws that hold down the points.
All of which is clearly illustrated in the pictures I posted, which I would recommend that the OP actually look at.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2014, 04:42 AM

Yeah, to be honest, very little has been said here that I didnt already know. I'm already frustrated with "professional" mechanics who are pretty much useless in diagnosing problems, so telling me things I've already mentioned in posts isnt going to help. Maybe I missed something with the wire but I'm sure the condenser doesnt have one. I am about to go out there and figure it out right now.
Old July 9th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by The_Infamous
Maybe I missed something with the wire but I'm sure the condenser doesnt have one.
Once again, Eric posted nice pictures of this above.

Here they are again:

Traditional, Old-School, Separate Points and Condenser

Newer, Easier-to-Install (two screws instead of three) Unipoints

- Eric