Removing rear seat on '65 Delta 88 sedan

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Removing rear seat on '65 Delta 88 sedan

Forgive me if this is a total newbie question, but, well, I'm a total newbie. I'm taking out the back seat so I can get a good look what's back there in my quest to install 3 point harnesses in all 3 seating positions. The seat bottom was really easy to remove. But what's the trick to removing the verticle part of the rear seat? I saw two tabs, one on each side of the seat near the edge. They had a verticle slit in them that fit over a tab or whatever you call it that stuck out. That was easy. But a few inches to the inside of those there was a square hook, like a "U" mounted to the bottom of the seat. It hooked into a tab facing downward mounted to the car. It looked like the seat back should just push downward to allow the "U" to slide off the tab. But it doesn't budge. What am I missing?
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:56 AM
2 '66 98's

I'm at somewhat of a loss from your description. Usually there are just two metal tabs hooked through heavy wire loops at the bottom of the seat. You just bend the tabs to free the loops and then pull the seat straight upward to lift it off hooks near the upper seat back. Could you post a picture?
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Sorry, my description sucked. I read it again and was scratching my own head...

It's those metal tabs hooked through the wire loops that I was stuck on. I didn't know you were supposed to bend the tabs. Obviously, I have no plans to constantly remove the backseat, but wouldn't you risk breaking the tabs if you bent them too many times?

The other part I was referring to is a few inches towards the rocker panel from the tabs you described. They just look like guides for the seat. It's a tab with a verticle slit in it.

I didn't take photos last night, but plan to tonight to see if someone can help me figure out how to mount 3 point belts back there, especially in the center section.
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I would assume your 65 seats would be similar to my 67. When I did my rear seat, I recall the seatback being retained by 2 flat tabs on the bottom (hidden by the seat bottom when installed). The 2 tabs were screwed into the sheetmetal. After removing the 2 screws, you just push back and up on the seat simultaneously to free the 2 upper mounting loops from the vertical "hooks".
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM

In my experience, copper128 is correct. I have removed the rear seats out of several cars, and, in my instances, I have never had to remove any screws or bend anything. To get the seat back out (as opposed to the seat bottom), you generally push back and up at the same time. You might have to push inward rather hard to free it, but it should come.
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I have removed the rear seats out of several cars, and, in my instances, I have never had to remove any screws or bend anything.
Tabs to hold the top half of rear seat were bent down when I purchased the car.

Most likely done when the seats were reupholstered.
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:07 AM

Besides the screws on the floor sheet metal, I have had a single philips screw that had to be acccessed from the trunk side...not easy to find
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
Tabs to hold the top half of rear seat were bent down when I purchased the car.

Most likely done when the seats were reupholstered.
Were they not supposed to be bent down? It looked to me like they were as they came from the factory, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the seatback.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Most of the 65-6 GM B body cars I had did not have them bent down.

After having seats reupholstered twice in other cars, the guy bent my tabs down.
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM

I just want to make sure I'm talking about the right thing. This is a picture of it. It held the lower part of the seatback in place. There is a "D" shaped loop on the bottom of the seat that fit into it. What direction is the tab supposed to be?

By the way, radioburningchrome, holy moly!!! I never realized just how much stuff can fit in that trunk. As I was unloading it and sticking the stuff in the basement, my wife kept asking "Aren't you done yet?" Thanks for putting all that stuff in there, I appreciate it. Can't wait to get my tags and get the belts in it so we can hit the cruise nights.

P1020568.jpg
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Klayfish

By the way, radioburningchrome, holy moly!!! I never realized just how much stuff can fit in that trunk. As I was unloading it and sticking the stuff in the basement, my wife kept asking "Aren't you done yet?"

My wife said the same thing as I made many trips from different parts of the house!
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM

Mine, too were bent down. Hmmmm