Nubie to Olds forum

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Talking Nubie to Olds forum

Hi guy& gals ? As a retirement project I got a 56 Olds and have been working on it off ( mostly off ) and on since 2000. What started as a simple job to clean up the engine compartment has evolved into a monster project. Ha, bet you haven't heard that one before. Anyhow I pulled the engine and tranny, stripped it to the frame from the firewall forward, cleaned and painted the frame, blasted and repainted the fender liners and have modified and repainted the firewall to fit in power brakes and added some other upgrades. Some new ( to me ) things that I have found and have added or in process of adding that might be of interest: A new rear main seal that replaces the old rope seal, an adapter for the oil filter to change to spin-on filters and new needle bearing kingpins. I have also machined an adapter from alumnium that changed my old harmonic balancer from a single groove to a 3 groove since I could not locate a 3 groove anyplace. I would also like to hear about what to use for trans. fluid for the 56 Jetaway.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. Yeah, some of that stuff is pretty straightforward like the rear main seal and the oil filter adapter. That adapter for the balancer sounds like an interesting item, guess you are a machinist (retired?). Hope you enjoy our site and post up some pictures!.