newb-69 Delta 88 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM

newb-69 Delta 88 Convertible

Hi all.
Just started work on a 69 Delta 88 Convertible. I do not try to fool myself, its an absolute heap....complete junk....but hey it keeps me busy.

In doing initial inspections and such I find that the front driver side bearing cap is missing...therefore no speedo drive.

Is there an easy source for this or is it going to be hours of scrounging junkyards?

Anyone happen to have one?

I'll try to keep the questions to a minimum.

Located in Southern NJ by the way.

Jim
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM

I would first try AutoZone or one of the big chains. Since millions of GM cars used this same common part they can likely get it for you in a day or so.

They may not have it in the store, but they can search the district. Some of them can even search nationwide. You would be amazed at what they can get if it is a service part such as this.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

I understand your troubles, I used to own a '69 Delta. Have you thought about manufacturing one? If you can get a cap that fits and braze a ferrule on the inside to fit the end of the cable you would be set. Just an idea. Welcome to our site.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I understand your troubles, I used to own a '69 Delta. Have you thought about manufacturing one? If you can get a cap that fits and braze a ferrule on the inside to fit the end of the cable you would be set. Just an idea. Welcome to our site.

I actually have considered that and most likely will if nothing else turns up. If anyone has a photo of the original I would just like to make sure my mental image of what I need to do matches up with what actually works.

Just a little more info on the car and myself. She will be competing in the 2009 Big Apple to Big Easy rally. This is a 5 day road rally from NYC to New Orleans with daily challenges (think scavenger hunt) for points. This will be my 4th year on the rally, having previously placed 4th in 06 (82 Chevy van), 1st in 07 (73 Beetle), and 2nd in 08 (85 Mustang GT)

Oh, there's a catch too, you can only pay $500 for the car. Actually this is the first year for $500, prior to this it was $250. Obviously there are allowances to fix things to make them safe but you are not to go overboard. Each year we pick a new vehicle and try to get something more interesting than before. Ive always wanted to use a big convertible and Ive owned and restored a few older 98s in the past. Our 88 is everything you'd expect from a $500 88 convertible, ugly, rusty, no top (but the bows are there and the power works) At the end of each rally we bring them home again and restore if possible or at least fix them to a good driver quality or donate them to charity.

So obviously for a 3000 mile round trip having a speedo would be nice, but if all else fails I'll use the GPS.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Captain of my ship

Smile

Originally Posted by JThw8
Hi all.
Just started work on a 69 Delta 88 Convertible. I do not try to fool myself, its an absolute heap....complete junk....but hey it keeps me busy.

In doing initial inspections and such I find that the front driver side bearing cap is missing...therefore no speedo drive.

Is there an easy source for this or is it going to be hours of scrounging junkyards?

Anyone happen to have one?

I'll try to keep the questions to a minimum.

Located in Southern NJ by the way.

Jim
I have a 69-98 convetible http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfman98/ I am fixing up the motor mostly and might be able to direct you to places to find repo and nos parts.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
I have a 69-98 convetible http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfman98/ I am fixing up the motor mostly and might be able to direct you to places to find repo and nos parts.
Man, thats a beautiful car

This one is really beyond restoration so NOS parts are not too much of a concern. Mostly just the functional parts like the speedo adapter for the hub.

Im sure I'll run into others too but that's the latest bug in the soup so to speak.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Captain of my ship

Man, thats a beautiful car

This one is really beyond restoration so NOS parts are not too much of a concern. Mostly just the functional parts like the speedo adapter for the hub.

Im sure I'll run into others too but that's the latest bug in the soup so to speak.
Are you talking about the speedo cable end or where the cable fits into the hub?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

Are you talking about the speedo cable end or where the cable fits into the hub?
Cable into hub. I have the cable, I lack the dust cap for the bearings with the fitting for the cable built into it.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by old98owner
I would first try AutoZone or one of the big chains. Since millions of GM cars used this same common part they can likely get it for you in a day or so.
Only the full size Oldsmobiles from the 60s had the special cap with the fitting for the speedo cable drive, so no, millions of GM cars did not use this part.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Captain of my ship

Cable into hub. I have the cable, I lack the dust cap for the bearings with the fitting for the cable built into it.
I had to undo my cable as it would go crazy once in a while so I cleaned it and it works ok now. Would a close up pic of this with the cable out do you any good. I can do this tomorrow as we seem to be in a snowstorm at the moment.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:37 AM

I had to undo my cable as it would go crazy once in a while so I cleaned it and it works ok now. Would a close up pic of this with the cable out do you any good. I can do this tomorrow as we seem to be in a snowstorm at the moment.
Actually a close up picture of the dust cap where the cable connects would be excellent, that's the part Im probably going to have to remake. I have a pretty good idea of how to do it but having never seen one in person Im just guessing at it.

No rush on my end, the car doesnt hit the road until June and I have ALOT of other work to do to it before then
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Only the full size Oldsmobiles from the 60s had the special cap with the fitting for the speedo cable drive, so no, millions of GM cars did not use this part.

I kind of thought that was the case myself, thank you for clearing that up.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Captain of my ship

OK

Actually a close up picture of the dust cap where the cable connects would be excellent, that's the part Im probably going to have to remake. I have a pretty good idea of how to do it but having never seen one in person Im just guessing at it.

No rush on my end, the car doesnt hit the road until June and I have ALOT of other work to do to it before then
I will try to get one tomorrow if I can get out of driveway , I keep the car at my mom's house since she has heated garage.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM

The rally sounds like fun and you picked a sturdy car this time. Good luck with the build and race.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
The rally sounds like fun and you picked a sturdy car this time. Good luck with the build and race.
Thanks
Oddly we've had good luck with all the cars. The van only developed a small radiator leak. The VW ran great but developed some brake problems despite a full rebuild prior to the rally (I dont take chances on brakes) and the mustang ate a clutch cable but that was due to my fault not the car

The olds is probably in worse condition than anything else we've started with but Im a firm beliver than an old american V8 will run badly longer than most cars will run at all. I have confidence the old girl will do us proud.
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Welcome and good luck ~ Hows the frame, especially at the four center corners? Here in Ohio, our frames would rot there before the body does - one day you lower the top and open a door, -crunch-, CW
Oddly enough the frame looks pretty good. The floors, fenders etc arent so hot though.

Oh, quick question although Im snowed in today so I may just go out to the garage and do the trial an error approach. Does the heater core get removed from the engine side or under the dash? Mine leaks something fierce and since the rally is in June I was just going to bypass it but if its easy to get to then I might as well do the job right.

Ordered a full brake kit from Kanter last night and 2 upper ball joints, everything else looks pretty good in that realm. The brakes didnt even look too bad but I dont like to take chances on brakes.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Core removes from passenger compartment side as I recall - But if you have worn ball joints, man, you better check the inner A-arm bushings which wear terribly, especially the uppers - My old '72 88, '67 Delmont 88, '67 98, '71 98, the rubber was completely gone, and sleeve was wearing through the A-arm metal - Even if yours looks good on casual inspection, you better get a bar on there and try to clunk them side to side - Any perceptable loose movement in those will give you steering wheel judder, like a bad center link does, sometimes suddenly at freeway speeds, which will make you spot your pants - CW
Thanks for the advice, I did give them a pretty complete check, they aren't perfect but they are pretty solid, but as I tear into it further we will see where it leads. The upper balljoints didn't look terrible but the boot was torn away on the driver side so I decided not to chance it.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Captain of my ship

heater core

Oddly enough the frame looks pretty good. The floors, fenders etc arent so hot though.

Oh, quick question although Im snowed in today so I may just go out to the garage and do the trial an error approach. Does the heater core get removed from the engine side or under the dash? Mine leaks something fierce and since the rally is in June I was just going to bypass it but if its easy to get to then I might as well do the job right.

Ordered a full brake kit from Kanter last night and 2 upper ball joints, everything else looks pretty good in that realm. The brakes didnt even look too bad but I dont like to take chances on brakes.
Yeah it can be rerouted cause mine was when i got it. It comes out of the waterpump then splits into a "Y" one goes into the top left rear of the block and the other goes into the bottom left (passenger)front of the block. You will need to protect it when you pass by the exhaust manifold on the way to the bottom front. I plan on testing my heatercore this spring but I got a funny feeling it is shot.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM

newb 69 olds delta

Hi I sent a e-mail to you ,if you still need a hub dust cover with speed odometer in it I have several of them.

rocwal
Dan B
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:37 PM

speed hub dust cover

I do not think anyone can make one of these ?? it has a plastic sleeve attached inside where the cable slides into it and also a Brass star shaped washer is how i can explaine it around the sleeve ,i assume for static charge and is packed with some wheel lube .

On the heater you have to remove the nuts and hoses on firewall side holding the inside core support and remove most of the vacum hoses and air ducts ,mabey radio before sliding the inside heater system out ,after this it an easy fix .

rocwal
Dan B
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks Dan, I did get your message and replied via email, I hope you got it.

And thank you to Wolfman98 for the pics!
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
"me somebody" site member

If still needed, here is a speedo drive cap on Ebay which I believe should work on your car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...Q5fAccessories
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Thank you for keeping me in mind on that one. Dan was able to provide me with one.

Just waiting on a load of brake parts now so I can tear into it all.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM
"me somebody" site member

Glad you got one. A spare is never a bad idea, by the way...I have a spare myself, and worry that I might end up needing it someday was the only reason I didn't offer it to you. That and I knew one would eventually show up on EBay (just about EVERYTHING eventually shows up on Ebay!)