How to store my 74?

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2015 | 06:35 AM

How to store my 74?

I have no room in the garage now since I got another car that needs the garage space.
My top does not hold back the elements well. I have one of those clear bag covers to keep the rain out of it. Can I put any type of car cover over that. Right now I am looking at inside storage which then I don't need that but if it is outside is that a safe way to cover it.
Old September 1st, 2015 | 07:16 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 1yesfan
I have no room in the garage now since I got another car that needs the garage space.
My top does not hold back the elements well. I have one of those clear bag covers to keep the rain out of it. Can I put any type of car cover over that. Right now I am looking at inside storage which then I don't need that but if it is outside is that a safe way to cover it.
I would store in doors if possible . There's always going to be some kind of moisture getting on it outside no matter what you do it seems . If you have to store outside maybe a breathable cover would be in order . Someone that knows more about this will chime in I'm sure .
Old September 1st, 2015 | 07:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If it's in pretty nice shape and you leave it outdoors in any way, it will deteriorate more than if you left it indoors, and it will deteriorate noticeably over the course of a year, which will decrease its value.

Since you are trying to sell it elsewhere on this board, and have decreased your asking price, and have made clear that you no longer want to keep it, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider your storage in light of these facts.

Specifically, start with the amount of money you would actually accept for the car today, then
subtract the cost of any of the storage gear that you are considering buying,
subtract a suitable amount of money to reflect the decrease in value between now and when you put it on the market again,
subtract the administrative costs of keeping the car between now and when you put it up for sale again (registration, insurance, etc.),
subtract any maintenance costs between now and then (oil changes, possible new battery, etc), and finally,
subtract any costs you may have, whether tangible or not, to store it during that time (costs such as the inability to store something else in that spot in the driveway, which may or may not be important to you).

The final number that you get is the MOST you can expect to get for the car when all is said and done. If you're certain that you want to sell it anyway, list the car for sale at that price here, and possibly in other places, and it will probably sell, and you will not have to worry about the time, effort, and worry associated with these storage schemes, the costs of which you haven't included in these calculations.

- Eric