delta 88 wheel covers!!

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM

delta 88 wheel covers!!

Well new rims are not in the budget right now so I just bought some cheep wheel covers ........maybe later in the summer I would like to get some crager rims!!!

DSC08151.jpg
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM

What a beautiful car ! Have more pics ?
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:23 AM
"me somebody" site member

Your car looks very nice; those hubcaps however looks terrible in my opinion.

If you want something sporty for your car, and that would compliment its looks, you should go for THESE rims:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-Oldsmo...2d7aea&vxp=mtr

They are not exactly cheap, but they are about the nicest set of SSIVs I've seen for sale in a while. The seller appears to have gone out of his way as well to describe their imperfections. In my opinion, these would look a heck of a lot sharper on your car than a set of Cragars. JUST my opinion.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick

If you want something sporty for your car, and that would compliment its looks, you should go for THESE rims:

They are not exactly cheap, but they are about the nicest set of SSIVs I've seen for sale in a while. The seller appears to have gone out of his way as well to describe their imperfections. In my opinion, these would look a heck of a lot sharper on your car than a set of Cragars. JUST my opinion.
x2-those rims would look great!..
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM

here ya go dave!!!
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0399.jpg
DSC08152.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks for showing off your ride. That is a special car you have there. I love a completely original looking car like that. Over the years, I`ve always tried to keep my cars "stock looking" but usually dressed them up with rims (era correct) of some sort. Those Olds rims that the other fella pointed out to you would sure look great but I`m guessing you want to take it to the next level of "flashiness". Go with whatever floats your boat. I always liked to spiff up a car with the right rims.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Thanks Dave...special is right...did you notice the hitch ....I wonder how many delta88's are out there with a hitch...lol
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Registered Loser

I like green cars & LOVE white interior. Your car is gorgeous & deserves at least metal wheelcovers! The SSIV rims are the ultimate but it took me years to piece together a set from the scrapyards for my '73.

A cheap & incorrect alternative would be to find a set of '73-'87 Chevy Truck Rally wheels from a junkyard & swap out the bowtie emblem for a Rocket one. They made these rims in 6, 6.5, 7(I think), and 8" wide sizes. They are very common down here in NC & would look better than the plastic covers or any hideous oversize clown rimz.

Just an idea. If you hated the look of the truck rims..well...you could just slap the plastic covers back on the Rally rims, lol. Excuse the non-Olds pictures but the LF wheel on my truck was a 6.5" wide version (off a van I think) while the rest are the original 8" wide version. I added the second pic to show a whitewall on this type rim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
454b.jpg (118.6 KB, 28 views)
78GMC losesboom2.jpg (87.8 KB, 26 views)
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM

you mean something like this!!!!

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ360723261
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

They are not exactly cheap, but they are about the nicest set of SSIVs I've seen for sale in a while.
Nice find Aliens. X2 on those being the nicest. That price is actually pretty decent all things considered. see he's had 2 offers on them. Shipping to Canada would likely add another 200.00+ to the cost though. Friend of mine had those on his 71 and you're right, they look killer!
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Registered Loser

Wink

I figured you guy's would eat me alive for my post! I forgot that some of the Astro Vans had some pretty neat looking aluminum rims..I had some on my Delta for awhile as rollers. I can't remember if they were 6 or 7 inches wide though.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:59 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Thumbs up

That is a beautiful Delta! I love the new wheel covers, and the paint, and the interior... great car.

Where did you get the wheel covers?
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by junqueboi
I like green cars & LOVE white interior.
Apparently JD Green with black is also on your list. Nice riding tractor. What's with the big old Pontiac sitting in the trees. Looks like a 73/74?

Originally Posted by junqueboi
I figured you guy's would eat me alive for my post! I forgot that some of the Astro Vans had some pretty neat looking aluminum rims.
Naw, we've seen much worse... I thought those were steel painted with aluminum or silver paint. Most of them were anyway.....
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM

I completely agree! If you want something other than the standard Delta 88 full wheel covers, these are absolutely the way to go!
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:14 PM

The car looks stunning in the bright sunshine. I also have a preference for the color green. The white interior certainly compliments the green body perfectly. The interior pattern is classic but ,unlike other patterns, still appears contemporary. While I'm far from a purest when it comes to modifications, those wheel covers aren't worthy of that classic. There's plenty of different era Olds wheel covers from sporty to plain to choose from that would change the look depending on your mood.....still, beautiful, beautiful car.
PS. I love the hand-pulls in the back.
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by Centurion
I completely agree! If you want something other than the standard Delta 88 full wheel covers, these are absolutely the way to go!
I see the seller lowered his price by $50. These wheels are a steal, and at the risk of talking them up too much (they are NOT mine), it is a rare opportunity to buy such a nice, complete set.

I knew a guy who had a set on his '65 Starfire. They looked great on it. Funny thing is if you ever looked at the backside of the bolt-on metal caps that were available in 64-65, they look a lot like the polycast wheels. I always assumed that's where they got the idea for the design

While I'm rambling on, it always amazes me how a different wheelset can totally transform the look of a car.

Here's a '71 with a set:

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; March 11th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's a '71 with a set:

Now THAT's what I remember!! Only it was a dark metallic brown with the same top. That is total class
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Allan R
Now THAT's what I remember!! Only it was a dark metallic brown with the same top. That is total class
X2-they were a sharp car.Agree with Allan and it had a hint of sportiness!
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by scooter123
Well new rims are not in the budget right now so I just bought some cheep wheel covers ........maybe later in the summer I would like to get some crager rims!!!
Overall, I think your car looks great! While they wouldn't be my first choice, if they get you by until your budget lets you get some sweet Cragars... they're great! (I think we've all been there... hell, I was driving on two bent rims for over a year, lol)
Bottom line, if your happy with 'em... I'm happy with 'em!
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM

Thanks for all the great comments guys.....Im keeping my eye on the classifides in my area for some wheels!!!
Not that I dont like the old school olds wheels they are just not what im looking for.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM

I see the seller lowered his price by $50. These wheels are a steal, and at the risk of talking them up too much (they are NOT mine), it is a rare opportunity to buy such a nice, complete set.

I knew a guy who had a set on his '65 Starfire. They looked great on it. Funny thing is if you ever looked at the backside of the bolt-on metal caps that were available in 64-65, they look a lot like the polycast wheels. I always assumed that's where they got the idea for the design

While I'm rambling on, it always amazes me how a different wheelset can totally transform the look of a car.

Here's a '71 with a set:

Great photo, Scott! Thanks for posting this!
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Registered Loser

Originally Posted by Allan R
Apparently JD Green with black is also on your list. Nice riding tractor. What's with the big old Pontiac sitting in the trees. Looks like a 73/74?
LOL on the JD -- it's a well built machine but the Kawasaki engine has been a royal pain! It wasn't running then either.. The exhaust valve seat unglued itself (a common issue with those engines). For the last year, we've been limping around on my wife's rusted/worn out Craftsman(Murray?) "thing".

My secret weapons, 2 Old Cub Cadet Hydrostatic hotrods are stuck in the barn, blocked by non-running vehicles thanks to ETHANOL. The bigger one you see in the crappy pic runs but the front oil seal needs to be replaced before I can "maul grass" with it

Maybe this spring though I can style around the yard in Ford Blue..the other pic shows our $35 estate auction special. Hopefully I can get it running. Even simple tasks around our house are exciting since I refuse to buy pretty much anything new.
Attached Images
CUBCADET1.jpg (23.4 KB, 9 views)
FORDZ1.jpg (29.4 KB, 10 views)
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Registered Loser

More thread pollution

REDGV2.jpgSince you asked Scooter

Good eye on the Pontiac. It's a '73 GrandVille I got off ebay several years ago, advertised as an engineless "demo-derby" car. It was 3 hours away but only $300 and a goldmine of parts for my other '73 Pontiacs. Sick as it sounds, the body isn't all that bad & I'm tempted to put an engine in it as it's a non-vinyl top Florentine Red 2-door... not that there aren't three other '73 Bonnevilles & a 4-door GrandVille on the property also!
Attached Images
BLUEGV2.jpg (57.8 KB, 15 views)
73Bonneville4S031710.jpg (57.1 KB, 13 views)
BlueRTS1.jpg (85.5 KB, 18 views)
2N57-5.jpg (108.2 KB, 16 views)