Delta 88 timing

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Delta 88 timing

Hey everyone, just swapped secondary rods on my dads 1970 delta 88. It runs awesome (thanks jensenracing77). However, i think the timing is a little off because when i checked for carb vaccum it read 15, which said late ignition timing. Does anyone know what the timing should be on the crank for a 455? Also what should the dwell be set to? What order do i do these in, should i do timing light, then dwell, then carb vacuum? Thanks for the help.
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Timing is 8° BTDC @ 1100 RPM with the vacuum advance disconnected and capped. Dwell is 30° +/- 2°.
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM

How can you tell what rpm? Our car doesn't have tachometer. Where is vacuum advance located? So do timing at the crank first then dwell?
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Prsabordo
How can you tell what rpm? Our car doesn't have tachometer. Where is vacuum advance located? So do timing at the crank first then dwell?
You need one of these:

Timing adjustments won't change the dwell, but dwell adjustments CAN change the timing, so you need to set the dwell first, then adjust the timing.
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:54 PM

Ok, so dwell first, then timing, then carb vacuum? Can carb vacuum affect timing or dwell? So to set timing at 8 degress BTDC @ 1100 RPM do you have to have someone keep that RPM by pressing the accelerator or holding the throttle on the carb while timing it? Or is that what the RPM should be at idle? If so, do you change idle by idle adjustment screw on carb?
Old February 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Prsabordo
Ok, so dwell first, then timing, then carb vacuum?
Yes.

Can carb vacuum affect timing or dwell?
No, but adjusting the mixture screws will affect idle speed, so you need to reset the idle speed after adjusting the mixture, or else THAT will affect the timing.

So to set timing at 8 degress BTDC @ 1100 RPM do you have to have someone keep that RPM by pressing the accelerator or holding the throttle on the carb while timing it? Or is that what the RPM should be at idle? If so, do you change idle by idle adjustment screw on carb?
I usually work the throttle lever on the carb with one hand while holding the timing light in the other. If it's easier, you can temporarily adjust the idle speed screw, since you will likely be adjusting it after the idle mixture adjustment anyway.
Old February 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM

So just to clarify, the idle speed is Not 1100 RPM? The idle SHOULD be 1100 RPM when timing is 8 degress BTDC, correct? What is the recommended idle?
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

At this juncture, please allow me to ask this question:

Do you have a shop manual?

If not, then you should get one. They are not expensive on eBay, or from other sources.
Get a beat-up one - you'll beat it up anyway.

In the meantime, the manual for your car is available here, and the specific section you need for tune-up info is here.

You really should read the manual first if you haven't done this stuff before - it isn't hard to do, but it will go much better after reading the instructions.

Sorry if I sound terse, but this seems to come up a lot.

- Eric