delta 88 ..... bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

delta 88 ..... bucket seats

I'd like to take out the front bench seat and add in a custom center console with some oil pressure gauges and temp etc.....drink holders ...etc..... what price and what should i look for in bucket seats to throw in my 85 delta 88 royale brougham ls?

Last edited by bdub217; July 17th, 2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Edit: My avatar is the car im talking about =)
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

The 78-81 Holiday 88's basically used the same buckets & consoles that were found in the 78-88 A/G body Cutlass.

Those A/G body Cutlass buckets were pretty much the same as the other GM A/G bodies had as well ... sans the obvious trim differences of course.

Tear off the fabrics & seat trim ... & you'd be pretty much be left with the same thing.

One of the only exceptions that come to mind ... might be a Buick GN or GNX seat. Some of those I think had some unique stuff available.

The Buick center console's (at least the later ones) were similar in appearance to the Olds console ... but they are a lil' bit different.

If you don't want to go the A/G body seat/console route .....

Best bet is to do some poking around here :

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...isplay.php?f=4

There's a couple of stickies there discussing stuff (including center consoles) that work in the Chevy's - Buick Roadmaster's - Fleetwood Brougham Caddie's - misc seat swaps etc etc etc.

While I'm not 100% sure ...

I believe the floor pans were pretty much the same going back to 1977 ... so that 411 should be useful.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Thanks for the info !~ Much appreciated! I'm just worried about the bolts matching up really I guess. I'm thinking of taking out the stock bench and doing 2 buckets in front with a console running down the tranny hump to the back seat. I'm a carpenter by trade but love working on my car. Ever since I got my delta I've been hooked on mods and cleaning it up a bit trying to stay close to original design. End goal for this led sled is to have a fast comfy street cruiser. =) I've got 3" ID flowmaster 40 series on it so it's too loud to be a sleeper. =P
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Almost all of the 9C1 Caprice police cars have front bucket seats. They should be plentiful in the junkyards by now.
Old July 19th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

BTW ...

What kind of shape are your seats in ?.

The D88RBLS was a good as it got in the Delta food chain.

Top of the line 1984-1985.

They had the same style/design seat of the 1982-1984 98 Brougham's ... which was the top of the line 98 at the time.

If your seats are still in decent shape, just make sure whatever you end up doing .....

Doesn't involve trashing those seats !.

Those RBLS & 98Brgm seats are some of the nicest seats there were back in the day.

IMHO comparable in class/luxury/comfort to Lincoln & Caddy stuff ...

As well as the best trim levels Buick had to offer on their Electra (Park Avenue) & LeSabre (Limited & Ltd Collectors Editions).
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

yes they are in great shape and have the embroidery RB, it's navy blue interior i will post pics some time =P ill throw em into the gallery , this is my driver so it's in need of some cosmetic help here and there but overall i give it as is a 3 on a scale of 1 show quality and 6 junkyard. i bought it with 85k on it and only had to change the water pump so far in the major category......it has 108k on it now. and i'll settle for a set of the same seats i have now in a different color, such as gray or black ....tan or camel depending .... im wanting to redo the interior to a nice black/gray color scheme with wood grain..... real wood grain like some oak =P will be classy i think plus the black/gray will make the wood "pop" ......the headliner is going to be all woodgrain also =)
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

They never made those seats in black.

1978-1980 I believe were the only years black was an option in the 77-85 cars.

Black & gray would be a nice combo inside.

Tan or camel would be the last thing I'd do with a white exterior.

I had one white & mocha car ... & I've pretty much told myself never again.

I just found myself bored with the color combo towards the end of my ownership.

But to each their own.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the headliner tho.

Old July 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

okay so i'll do the headliner in black because it will be way too much now that i've done a test fit wood sample............and the car will no longer be white once the interior is done.
it will be like "charcoal/ash" two tone, keeping all the original chrome and maybe ill just dish out the $$$ for getting my current seats redone in the same fashion as they are now with a way nice material, same fashion as now meaning the armrest will have the classic "RB" in cursive embroidery etc. I think that'll look sick. Plus the dash plastic is going bye bye, i'm gonna use some oak (mention earlier i think) and redo all the wood trim with it. Black wheels or keep the stock hubcaps which are the spoked chrome? im open to all ideas and such for customizing this ride within limits of keeping it mostly stock in appearance, just classier. it's already a nice car. i need to get pix up soon.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Oh and I'm from Ft. Lauderdale! =0 Arizona ave, where i used to live. Uncle used to take me down to the everglades and ]Joe Robby Stadium to watch the Dolphins practice. West Palm Beach, Plantation, Miami, the strip.........oooooooooooo the memories. =)

what on earth made my uncle think riding around in a 1991 Lowered, Chopped Top, Mazda Truck .............HOT PINK...........was cool but.....to each his own.

Last edited by bdub217; July 20th, 2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: trying to show the truck in signature.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM

The front seats from a 92-96 Roadmaster can be made into buckets. The passenger's side is already a bucket. They come in a couple colors of red, blue, tan, and gray. If you remove the arm rest from the driver's side, and loosen the material on the inside, you can remove the frame for the arm rest, and reattach the material to the frame. They should mount on about the same rails. If they are leather, you can use SEM Universal Color Coat to make them any color you want. They are like sitting in an easy chair in the living room.

A friend of mine has a set of dark blue leather seats from a 94 wagon. The fronts should almost bolt in, and the rear skins should be adaptable to your frames (if you need/want rears). They are in excellent condition. I helped pull them from the wagon. He would probably take about $200 for the set (same price for the fronts only, rears are a freebie). I am on the opposite coast, near Clearwater, and you could drive over to save the shipping by picking them up. Shipping for the seats by Greyhound would be about $95 for just the fronts. You could get about $50 for the arm rest by reselling it on the longroof forum.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:11 AM

bdub, as in your conversation with packrat, is your bench solid or 60/40? If it's solid, you'll have to weld in 4 inner seat mounts along the trans tunnel, the solid bench only has the outer mounts.
Sounds like it will be nice when completed. I was doing this to an 82 88 2dr, had the seats and console mounted, vin9 air cleaner, paint just about finished, then someone liked it more than I. Never to be seen again
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:29 AM

My vote keep the nice plush pillow top bench, love my stock interior
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Cool

Originally Posted by mike's88
bdub, as in your conversation with packrat, is your bench solid or 60/40? If it's solid, you'll have to weld in 4 inner seat mounts along the trans tunnel, the solid bench only has the outer mounts.
Sounds like it will be nice when completed. I was doing this to an 82 88 2dr, had the seats and console mounted, vin9 air cleaner, paint just about finished, then someone liked it more than I. Never to be seen again
ewwww dirty turkey's thieving your hard work~~!! I have a 60/40 front. And i would just use two "40's" because there will be a console in between them.
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:43 AM

Since you have the 60/40, late 70s,-88 cutlass buckets will bolt right in.
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:11 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Damn Mike that really sucks someone snatched your car.

IIRC ...

All the RB's had the 60/40's so they are nice & easy for bucket swaps.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:37 AM

As far as 77-79 88's or 98's, Is there any other dashboard that will work in these cars?