Considering a 1950 4 door

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
REO

Considering a 1950 4 door

I found a '50 4 door today and am seriously considering it. Now besides a 442, my favorite Olds is the '50 Rocket 88 fastback coupe. The car needs a new headliner, but besides that the interior is nice minus a tear on the seam of the seat that could be repaired. It needs to be repainted. It has the sunvisor and chrome fins. 303 seems to be locked, and it has an automatic. Radiator and hubcaps are missing unless in the trunk which doesn't have a key. Any advice as far as what a good deal would be, motor, and anything I need to check for on it?

I will try to get some pics up tomorrow, but the body is real clean. The windsheild has a chip on the passenger side and a couple of the side windows have some cracks in it.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM

If it needs to be repainted give the underside a good look and the rest of the body if you see bubbles thats costly rust repair even if you do it yourself. You said the motor doesnt turn if you rebuild it you could also be looking at a hefty machine shop and replacement part bill or the cost of a replacement motor. The interior may look fine now but when you get her home and start picturing the car in your head you will want to start replacing stuff and that could be costly. Try no to be emotionally attached when you make an offer that usually leads to overpaying (ask me how I know this and why I never take my own advice). Given those factors and the time spent getting her to just run I wouldnt pay no more than 2 to 3000. I don't think thats a lowball number for how much work it wil need thats quite fair without seeing it.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
REO

It's less than that. It's dry around here, so rust isn't a problem on this one. I'd be content with the interior, and would just wanted to get it driving and painted. I may eventually want it chopped and lose the back doors though.
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
REO

So the owner told me the radiator was put in the trunk, and maybe even the hubcaps. He said he couldn't find a key, but I know there is an ignition key. The ignition key wouldn't be the same for the trunk in those years, would it?

I forgot to mention the skirts are still there and must have been taken off when the car was parked as the paint on them is still decent. I'm a bit hesitant since it is a 4 door, but I think regardless it's a cool ride.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM

REO
Take the glove box in to your local lock shop (if it's not locked also) and have them make a key,should be the same as the trunk and easier than drilling out the trunk lock...Tedd
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM

1950 Olds 88

If it has been sitting a while, you may need to do over all the brakes -- and I have everything BRAND NEW -- the Master Cylinder, all the Wheel Cylinders, the Brake Hoses, the Brake Shoes, and Wheel Bearings & Seals, as well as the Emergency Brake Cables, & more....

And much more for this car............

Best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.............
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by REO
I'm a bit hesitant since it is a 4 door, but I think regardless it's a cool ride.
Hey - Four doors need love too! Look at my stable!

I drive my 4 door sedan regularly and I get 10x more looks and thumbs up than I ever do with my 71 'vert - even with the top down....and the convertible was a frame-off restoration!
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:11 AM
REO

Surely, the glove box isn't locked too, but that will certainly be helpful.

I was imagining the brakes would need to be redone.

Olds Dad, are your daughters named after Olds? If so that is way cool. One of my keepers is a 4 door, a Continental convertible albeit one of the coolest 4 doors ever. 4 doors can be good especially on upscale makes.
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

[QUOTE=REO;363893]
Olds Dad, are your daughters named after Olds? QUOTE]

Yep! Funny part is that almost nobody (outside of 'our' world) has even heard of those cars - when I explain the origin of their names I usually get a "Huh..."

I will tell you this - people always remember their names though.

I pulled a '56 Holiday Sedan out of the woods in NJ before I had kids and my wife saw the H O L I D A Y on the fender and said "That would be a cool name for a girl" - well, it happened - and then when my second was born, we couldn't not name her for a car...so Starfire it is.

I made each of them a decorative placard for their bedrooms using the scripts from a '55 Holiday and a '55 Starfire (From Fusick) - way cool.
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Neat story Olds Dad , It's things like that that make his forum personal and special. Sometime around Valentines day I'll post a story about my Olds written by my wife that chokes me up every time I read it, but it needs something like Valentines to make it not so mushy, after all this is a gear head forum....Tedd
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM

Hello,

I would like to add to this thread if I may. I am looking at buying a 50 rocket 88 4 door as well. This one runs, drives and sounds great. Nothing but a few surface rust spots. 2nd owner with an original 39k on the odo. My question to you all is. Are the 4 doors looked down upon like most cars are as opposed to the 2 doors? I am not really worried about it because this is such a sweet 4 door rocket I can't pass up. I am just curious how the 4 door fairs to the 2 door in this style of car.

Thanks,

MP21
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by REO
I found a '50 4 door today and am seriously considering it. Now besides a 442, my favorite Olds is the '50 Rocket 88 fastback coupe. The car needs a new headliner, but besides that the interior is nice minus a tear on the seam of the seat that could be repaired. It needs to be repainted. It has the sunvisor and chrome fins. 303 seems to be locked, and it has an automatic. Radiator and hubcaps are missing unless in the trunk which doesn't have a key. Any advice as far as what a good deal would be, motor, and anything I need to check for on it?

I will try to get some pics up tomorrow, but the body is real clean. The windsheild has a chip on the passenger side and a couple of the side windows have some cracks in it.
You may be able to free the engine up, but a rebuild would still be wise. The transmission may need to be redone as well.
The suspension and brakes will need work as well. The rule of thumb is if it's rubber, it needs replacing. That means all the weatherstripping, brake lines, and various grommets.
The electrical system may not be great either, but could be cleaned up. It will be a 6-volt, so be careful not to use a regular battery to test it (if you do). Stuff will burn.
The side windows will be easy to replace, as they're plate glass. I don't know about the windshield, but you may be able to get the chip filled with epoxy.
As for a good price, I would look around to see what they-re selling for. I'd be hesitant on anything over $5000, though.
Good luck!
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by mp21
Hello,

I would like to add to this thread if I may. I am looking at buying a 50 rocket 88 4 door as well. This one runs, drives and sounds great. Nothing but a few surface rust spots. 2nd owner with an original 39k on the odo. My question to you all is. Are the 4 doors looked down upon like most cars are as opposed to the 2 doors? I am not really worried about it because this is such a sweet 4 door rocket I can't pass up. I am just curious how the 4 door fairs to the 2 door in this style of car.

Thanks,

MP21
Well, "looked down" is sort of a rough way of putting it, but they certainly are less desireable from a "Value" point of view - that being said, any Olds of this vintage has enough distinctive styling and pure beauty (paint, chrome, lines) to be desirable. I drive a black and white '55 4 door sedan that is AT BEST a #3-4 car - but I get way more 'thumbs up' and gawks and smiles than I ever do with my '71 Supreme Convertible which is a body-off, meticulously detailed restoration. So, if you have a lead on a nice looking vintage Olds, and it's priced right (another advantage of the 4 doors - they're usually obtainable for the average collector) - I say go for it, and perceptions be damned!

IMHO
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM

My feeling on 4 doors is if you like them then build them. It's harder, or impossible, to get back the money you have invested in any restoration.Most of us don't make money on our cars no matter how many doors it has or doesn't have.

If i build another car it will be a prewar luxury sedan with a bunch of doors and I doubt I'll ever get my money out of it, but I will enjoy it for years. Lost in the fifties...Tedd
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks!

I appreciate it guys. I am not worried about perception. The guy is only asking 4K for the car. Its a 50 deluxe Rocket with 39k on the odo all original. I stomped it at a light and the tires squawked, I was giggling like a 3 yr old lol. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds1.jpg (102.9 KB, 30 views)
olds2.jpg (71.9 KB, 32 views)
olds7.jpg (104.2 KB, 30 views)
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM

my '70 is a 4 door and it gets a lot of looks and attention... i've gotten a lot of compliments on it and even had an older lady tell me that "she loved my car". i just decided that if it suited me then to hell with what anybody else thought about it... besides, in my case, where else am i going to get a 1 owner '70 cutlass for $900???? it just came to mind that the car is aspen green and i have redish orange ss2 ralleyes on it and it's got fair paint with a couple minor dents (it was stored in a farm quonset for 25yrs) from getting rubbed by farm equipment being moved around it and it still turns heads everywhere i take it...

the '50 that you've posted pictures of is awesome!! i'd buy it in a heartbeat if i was in your situation but just the same it has to be right with you...
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by mp21
I appreciate it guys. I am not worried about perception. The guy is only asking 4K for the car. Its a 50 deluxe Rocket with 39k on the odo all original. I stomped it at a light and the tires squawked, I was giggling like a 3 yr old lol. Here are a few pics.
If you don't buy that, tell me where it is - gorgeous!...and a bargain if you ask me
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:57 AM

mp21, that is one gorgeous car and a bargain at that price. It looks as though it has just been restored. Cool engine bay shot, super clean and original...Ya did good...Tedd
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Smile 1950 Olds - 4 door -

The "collectors" who set the value of cars have decided that 2 doors are worth more than 4 door cars.... that comes into play when buying and selling cars... so, obviously, you don't spend $ 10,000 for a car -- and then have to settle for $ 5000 selling it....

$ 4000 for a 4 door car is not major money at all -- and leaves you room on the far end if you decide to "flip it (resell it)".

Enjoy, good luck with it, you will receive plenty of "thumbs up"s......
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM

I"m with Olds Dad, if you don't wanna' buy it, let one of us know where it is..............be mighty interested.
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Bought!

Thanks again guys. I picked it up this afternoon. Now to get the car seat fixed in good and tight and taking the fam for a spin. Thanks for all the comments and answers though. This is an awesome site and forum.