Bias vs Radial Tires for 1950 88???

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:37 AM

Bias vs Radial Tires for 1950 88???

Hello Everyone!

I posted this in the "Tires/Wheels" section also.
I have searched but did not find a good discussion on this topic. Sorry if I missed it.
I will soon purchase new tires for my 1950 88 and I'm not clear on the pros/cons of bias vs radial tires for this specific vehicle. I am however well aware of the advantages of radial tires generally, and deem the increased cost as worth it. I plan to purchase wide white walls.

Here is a little info about my car:
> 1950 Olds 88 4-door 40K miles.
> New brakes, shocks, springs.
> Front end, steering etc. are all nice and tight.
> Car is a driver - I will likely never have it judged, but do want the new tires to have the correct "look".
> Current tires are 760-15 bias on original rims and the car drives very well.

Assuming that I can find a WWW tire of same/similar tread width and overall diameter, why would I NOT buy radials?

Thanks in advance for the help!

George
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:08 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

We replaced the tires on my friends 50 and 54 convertibles. We got them from Wallace Wade in Dallas who gets them from Coker. If I remember correctly, we would have to change the wheels on the 50 to put radials on it. We could do on the 54 but wound up putting the correct repro bias belted tires on both cars. The 50 had a little bit wider whitewall than the 54.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
We replaced the tires on my friends 50 and 54 convertibles. We got them from Wallace Wade in Dallas who gets them from Coker. If I remember correctly, we would have to change the wheels on the 50 to put radials on it. We could do on the 54 but wound up putting the correct repro bias belted tires on both cars. The 50 had a little bit wider whitewall than the 54.

Why would you have to change the wheels on the 50?? Radials have been the norm for some 30 years now, and I know bias-ply tires are getting harder to find in recent years. You can find info @ http://www.cokertire.com/ or http://www.universaltire.com/

All tires are made with layers of rubber permeated fabric, the most common fabric used today is polyester.
The difference between the construction of radials and bias is the direction of how these layers or plies are applied in relation to each other and to the center line of the tread. The plies on a bias-ply tire run approximately 45 degrees to the center line of the tread, alternating in direction with each layer. The plies on a radial tire run 90 degrees to the center line of the tire and basically overlap instead of crisscrossing.

Most of us would agree that radial tires probably are safer at sustained higher speed hwy driving.

The reasons for you to go with bias-ply are purely personal or show judging related.

Last edited by oldcutlass; April 3rd, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
why would you have to change the wheels on the 50?? Radials have been the norm for some 30 years now, and i know bias-ply tires are getting harder to find in recent years. You can find info @ http://www.cokertire.com/ or http://www.universaltire.com/

we went by what wallace wade who is a dealer for coker told us. I know we had to run tubes in the 50 and not the 54. I am not a tire expert and i trust somebody that i consider to be. Radials have been the norm for closer to 40 years.

All tires are made with layers of rubber permeated fabric, the most common fabric used today is polyester.
The difference between the construction of radials and bias is the direction of how these layers or plies are applied in relation to each other and to the center line of the tread. The plies on a bias-ply tire run approximately 45 degrees to the center line of the tread, alternating in direction with each layer. The plies on a radial tire run 90 degrees to the center line of the tire and basically overlap instead of crisscrossing.

Thanks for the lesson in tire construction.

Most of us would agree that radial tires probably are safer at sustained higher speed hwy driving.

No question about that

the reasons for you to go with bias-ply are purely personal or show judging related.
that would be correct
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

In my experience with '60's-era cars, radials feel much smoother and more controlled than bias tires (which can sometimes be a little s-c-a-r-y). I don't know whether that observation would also apply to '50's-era cars, though.

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:49 AM

I put radials on my 57 Olds. We have a lot of grooved pavement around here and the old bias ply tires would follow the grooves and cause the car to weave. I do not have that problem since I switched to steel radials. I went with wide white Diamond Backs and have been very happy with them. I like the look a lot better then my previous set of Coker Tires.
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Split rims?

Originally Posted by oldcutlass "the reasons for you to go with bias-ply are purely personal or show judging related.:

I had heard that the original wheels were subject to spliting due to the higher pressure required by radial tires. True?

Any other reasons to NOT mount radial tires???

Thanks!
George
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Tire pressures are not significantly different enough between the radials and bias-ply to worry about that affecting the wheels. Age on the other hand does. I personally don't remember (I'm 53 and have CRS-Can't Remember Stuff) if the older wheels that required tubes - were able to run tubeless tires.
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Some older rims have problems holding air without tubes. My 55 has not shown that to be a problem though. I have switched to bias tires only because I show my car in judged events. The radials were a much nicer ride and lasted many miles longer than the bias type. If I were to buy tires for just cruising I see no need for bias tires at all....Tedd
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM
N43

IMHO, radials add a measure of safety and in So Cal where I live, there are enough white knuckle moments. I think the split rim issue is partly wider tire sizes needed on stock rims to achieve the stock tire diameter and all that goes with it. Tire dealers should know maximum sizes for respective wheel widths.

Thanks.

Dick
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM

To me radials spoil the whole look on a 50's early 60's car. If it's got radials it probably has a SBC too. Nah that's a little far, radials are indeed alot safer....
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

I am not sure if there is an issue with putting radials on rims made back in the 50's, but I am sure if you spoke to someone at Coker or Universal Tire, they could tell you. If they say you can put them on your rims, just inspect them thoroughly. If they are good and solid without any rust or issues, then I would make the switch.

I remember hearing that I should not put radials on my 63 Riv because those rims were not designed for radials and I would have problems, etc. Switching from biased ply tires to radials was like night and day. Better handling, braking, safety, etc. were worth more to me than the original look. (I have had radials on that car now for 20 years.) Biased tires are great for a trailer queen, but not for driving.
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:13 PM

I remember hearing that I should not put radials on my 63 Riv because those rims were not designed for radials and I would have problems, etc. Switching from biased ply tires to radials was like night and day. Better handling, braking, safety, etc. were worth more to me than the original look. (I have had radials on that car now for 20 years.) Biased tires are great for a trailer queen, but not for driving
Iheard the same thing 30 years ago when putting radials on my '66 GTO, of course they were wrong.