Added a 67 Delta to the collection

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2016, 04:09 PM

Added a 67 Delta to the collection

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm looking for the following parts for a 1967 Delta 88 Holiday Coupe.
Finally added a decent car to that stable of yours? Congratulations. Have you posted photos of this beast anywhere?

As I've mentioned a few times on this site, I have a '67 Delta myself. I have none of those parts, though. Good luck.
Old August 28th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Jaunty,

I moved your post here so I can start a new thread about the car. I broke down and bought the 67 D88 Holiday Coupe being sold by ChiTown67Delta88. Here's the for sale ad.

I drove to Chicago Thursday and picked the car up Friday AM. Anthony was unfortunately out of town but his dad was home to complete the transaction. The car is as good or better than represented and I'm quite happy with the purchase. Unfortunately, the towing process was a string of problems and the car is currently being stored in Canfield, OH while I fix my truck. We had to leave the car and trailer there since I was sure my truck was not going to be able to pull it up the grades on the PA Turnpike. As it is, we barely made it back due to a deteriorating plugged cat on the truck.

If you can tolerate a story, we left NoVA Thurs morning and stopped in Breezewood, PA for gas and lunch. Coming out of the restaurant I noticed the electrical connector from the trailer had fallen out of the truck socket and was dragging on the ground. Of course, half the connector was ground away. We drove west on Hwy 30 to an Advance Auto and replaced the plug. So far, so good.

On the OH Turnpike, I started to notice an occasional grinding noise over bumps. I had lubed the trailer jack and naturally, no good deed goes unpunished. The jack unscrewed itself and by the time I could pull off the road, the tube on the jack was bent and could not be retracted. Fortunately I had brought a full toolbox and my floor jack, so we just unbolted the trailer jack and threw it in the truck. I figured there should be no need to unhook the trailer until I got home, and I had the floor jack anyway just in case.

We stopped for the night in Elkhart, IN, home of the RV/Motor Home hall of fame and just about every RV and trailer manufacturer in the country. No, we did not stop to get a trailer jack... Headed for ChiTown Fri AM, planning to drive in after the morning rush. Traffic was still bad, but we arrived at the car by 10:00. The house is on a narrow street and we had to block traffic to load it. Apparently drivers think leaning on the horn makes people move faster. I just stopped and waved...

Note that rarely do I buy cars that can actually be DRIVEN onto the trailer.

We had planned to drive to Canfield so we could blow even more money at TP Tools on the way home. The drive was pretty uneventful, except for the loss of power from the (formerly only suspected) plugged catalyst. We pulled off the OH Turnpike at a service plaza near Cleveland and as I pulled into the parking lot, the brake pedal went nearly to the floor. A quick inspection showed a leak somewhere in the vicinity of the rear brake hose and tee fitting on the axle. We also noticed that the now extremely hot exhaust pipe on the passenger side had started to melt the rubber seal where the A/C pipes enter the firewall directly above the exhaust. I drove gingerly (using front brakes and trailer brakes) the rest of the way to Canfield, where we dropped the trailer at the hotel (using the floor jack and the jackstands that I had also brought).

The next morning I got parts at O'Reilly's and replaced the rusted out hard line on the axle. Bled the brakes well enough to drive the truck the remaining five hours home and negotiated with the hotel to leave the car there for a week for a nominal fee. Naturally we still spent too much money at TP Tools, then drove home. I noticed that the 4L80E in the truck was not locking the torque converter and would not shift into OD. Now I'm concerned. Fortunately we made it home.

A quick inspection of the service manual showed that when the TCC fails to lock up when commanded, the VCM inhibits shifts into OD, so that may not be a real problem. The TCC solenoid is in the trans pan, directly adjacent to the overheated exhaust, which makes me think that might be the cause. I've got a new TCC solenoid as well as a complete new exhaust system with cats on the way. Hopefully that all gets delivered this week so the truck works by Sunday. If not, I'll be renting a truck.

At any rate, here's a shot of the car on the trailer as we were getting ready to leave Chicago on Friday.

Old August 28th, 2016, 05:02 PM

If you can tolerate a story
Certainly! Great story, and congrats on the purchase.
Old August 28th, 2016, 05:12 PM

as i look at the pictures of your delta i find it funny that the 67 delmont i just scrapped had the same fog lamps mounted to the lower center of the bumper requiring extra holes drilled in the nice front bumper.it also had delta front bumper/grille/lights. it did have deluxe wheel covers tho if you want them.jc
Old August 28th, 2016, 08:11 PM

Nice car, man that should be a smooth ride!
Old August 29th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
as i look at the pictures of your delta i find it funny that the 67 delmont i just scrapped had the same fog lamps mounted to the lower center of the bumper requiring extra holes drilled in the nice front bumper.it also had delta front bumper/grille/lights. it did have deluxe wheel covers tho if you want them.jc
The fog lights and spotlight on the A-pillar will be the first things to go when I finally get it home. I'm going with Torque Thrust TTOs and 235/70-15s for rolling stock, based on how this one looks:

Old August 29th, 2016, 07:06 AM

that is an awesome look,it still amazes me that these cars are so overlooked.i did save the window cranks from the delmont but they are black.
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:28 AM
71 cutlass convertible

To bad the Delmont didn't have a trailer hitch. It could have pulled your pick-up home. The suspension probably wouldn't handled it but the motor would have. Looks really nice.
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
To bad the Delmont didn't have a trailer hitch. It could have pulled your pick-up home. The suspension probably wouldn't handled it but the motor would have. Looks really nice.
Other than not being registered or insured...

My truck weighs over 7000 lbs empty, and the trailer is another 2000 lbs, so that's not something I'd want to try with four wheel drum brakes. Have you driven the PA Turnpike? It ain't flat, at least not from Pittsburgh to Breezewood.
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:38 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Yes I have driven the Pa turnpike. OK a little brake work too. As for not being registered or insured I am sure you wouldn't be alone.
Old August 29th, 2016, 09:41 AM

Sweet deal, 4-bbl hi-comp and all. Glad that the previous owner was able to re-home the car with another ClassicOlds member. I also like the blue/blue color scheme with the factory tinting. Beautiful car.

Sounds like your truck was a bit temperamental in fetching the car (jealousy?), but that's part of what makes for an interesting tale. Good to hear that you got home safely despite the trouble.
Old August 29th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Supernaut72
Sounds like your truck was a bit temperamental in fetching the car (jealousy?), but that's part of what makes for an interesting tale. Good to hear that you got home safely despite the trouble.
Actually, the truck is just old. It's a 1999 Chevy and the only vehicle I've ever bought brand new. It now has over 266,000 miles on it and that's the original exhaust system and cats, so basically I was pressing my luck.
Old August 30th, 2016, 06:57 AM

Sorry for your troubles but the car looks great!
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by SeanMiller063
Sorry for your troubles but the car looks great!
Thanks. Parts for the truck should be here by Thurs (according to RockAuto), so I get to do it again this weekend (in holiday traffic ).

Interestingly, someone has fitted the car with dual exhausts using the center-dump driver's side manifold from the single exhaust system. I haven't been under the car yet, but it appears that they used a pretty small diameter pipe to route under the steering linkage and crossmember, up to the manifold. Impressive tube bending, though obviously restrictive. I'll get some photos of this once the car is home and in the air.

A Thronton's repro dual exhaust manifold is already on the way.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Joe:

I think you need another car. Thirteen might be an unlucky number. I can only dream of having a place to store that many cars.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Joe:

I think you need another car. Thirteen might be an unlucky number.
Not to worry, that list doesn't include parts cars or non-Oldsmobiles.
Old August 30th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Actually, the truck is just old. It's a 1999 Chevy and the only vehicle I've ever bought brand new. It now has over 266,000 miles on it and that's the original exhaust system and cats, so basically I was pressing my luck.
Not bad at all, reliability-wise. 266k is almost 200,000 more miles than my friend's brother's warranty-maintained 2011 Aveo went before everything began failing on it at once. Hopefully the truck repairs go smoothly.

Anyways, a properly done dual exhaust setup will be a real treat for that 425.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well, RockAuto send the wrong part for my truck (I ordered Walker P/N 50308 and they sent P/N 40308... ), so I just broke down and rented a truck yesterday to go fetch the 67 from Ohio. I have to say, $100 a day with unlimited mileage for a 2016 Ram crewcab dually 4x4 with Cummins was a pretty good deal (though WAAAAY too much electronics on that truck ). Unfortunately if you tell them you plan to tow, Enterprise tacks a $16/day "towing surcharge" onto the rental... apparently just because they can.

The trip was uneventful (other than realizing that a Class V hitch has a 2.5" receiver instead of 2" - fortunately spacer sleeves are readily available). The Delta is now safely at home and ready for an assessment of what's needed to make it a reliable driver. My Thornton's repro dual exhaust manifold already arrived, and I found someone selling a pair of new, factory-style exhaust pipes on ebay, which I'll pick up at Carlisle.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 05:52 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

The Vista, a Jetstar and now a Delta. The land of big fenders is very happy! Congrats on the purchase!
Old September 3rd, 2016, 05:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by btw
The Vista, a Jetstar and now a Delta. The land of big fenders is very happy! Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks, but a Vista is an A-body, just like any other Cutlass.
Old September 4th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've got springs, KYB shocks, and lower ball joints and bushings on the way. The one thing that worries me is that the car has excessive camber and there's no more adjustment. The front springs are definitely sagging, despite having spacer blocks in them, so I'm hoping that restoring ride height will fix the camber problem.

What concerns me is that the nose has apparently been replaced at some time during the car's life, as there is yellow paint under the aquamarine on the hood and front fenders. If it got hit, possibly an upper control arm is bent? I'm really hoping it's just a long-overdue front end rebuild that's the problem.
Old September 4th, 2016, 01:04 PM

the car has excessive camber and there's no more adjustment.

The front springs are definitely sagging, despite having spacer blocks in them

the nose has apparently been replaced at some time during the car's life, as there is yellow paint under the aquamarine on the hood and front fenders. If it got hit, possibly an upper control arm is bent?
To summarize, now the fun begins...
Old September 4th, 2016, 01:16 PM

as there is yellow paint under the aquamarine on the hood and front fenders.
So the car's current color is its original color? It wasn't yellow to begin with? It seems that every other '67 Delta I come across, heck, ever other '67 Olds I come across, including my own, started out life as a yellow car. Was it that "spring special" Olds had back in '67?

Here's a '67, but it ain't a Delta.

Nice 98 at the Charlotte Auto Fair in 2011.

Old September 4th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Well, at the worst it could be an excuse to upgrade to aftermarket control arms, if any are made for that thing. Is the ride on those cars nice, or does it cross the line over into mushy?
Old September 4th, 2016, 01:36 PM

That yellow I believe is the preferred color of Mr. Ed Skaff for his 67s. I'm in the JB Weld Antique Pewter camp, although I did see and hear run a nice 67 W-30 at a Florida Mecum in that color years ago.
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
So the car's current color is its original color? It wasn't yellow to begin with?
Yep. The K-K paint code (aquamarine) and aqua interior give it away. The car has been repainted, presumably when the front end was replaced.

Let us not forget, however, that 1967 saw the triple-yellow Cutlii convertibles.

Originally Posted by Koda
Well, at the worst it could be an excuse to upgrade to aftermarket control arms, if any are made for that thing. Is the ride on those cars nice, or does it cross the line over into mushy?
Aftermarket control arms? For a 67 Delta?? HAHAHAHAHA. Good one.

I'm assuming it's on the mushy side, hence the KYBs. I wouldn't mind if this one were a little cushy, anyway. It's not exactly a pro-touring car, after all. I do plan to see what I can do about a rear sway bar, however.
Old September 4th, 2016, 03:49 PM

Yep. The K-K paint code (aquamarine) and aqua interior give it away. The car has been repainted, presumably when the front end was replaced.

Let us not forget, however, that 1967 saw the triple-yellow Cutlii convertibles.

Aftermarket control arms? For a 67 Delta?? HAHAHAHAHA. Good one.

I'm assuming it's on the mushy side, hence the KYBs. I wouldn't mind if this one were a little cushy, anyway. It's not exactly a pro-touring car, after all. I do plan to see what I can do about a rear sway bar, however.
NIce car ,I was able to get some of the mushy ride out of mine by installing some heavy duty police/taxi Monroe shocks and add new Springs in the rear.The shocks help firm up the ride without being harsh. Please let me know we're you find a rear sway bar source if you find one.
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:14 PM
344879M363895

Yes, somehow I missed this thread. I had been thinking for the past week, "I wonder what Joe's been up to, must be super busy with work again." Now I know.

Nice ride. Really hard to find in that condition I would think. And your trip with the few snags kept it even more interesting. Cool that you got that Ram 3500 to make the return trip. I had the 2500 for the trip up and back to PA for the W-30 and it was like butter through the mountains. Easy sailing.

I think the wheel/tire combo you are getting for it is gonna look amazing. Like "I don't necessarily want to kick your hind end, but I can if I have to" kind of look. Mean.
Old September 5th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Finally got to spend a little quality time with the D88. Good news is that the camber problem is caused by the fact that there is no rubber left in the upper control arm bushings. At least it isn't a bent control arm or worse. Bushings are easy.

Drove the car around the property a little. Brakes are awful. Steering is just a suggestion (likely due in no small part to the upper control arm bushings). Car desperately needs a tune up and carb rebuild. Most of those parts will be here this week.
Old September 5th, 2016, 09:43 PM

Hah.

Joe: <turns left> "Hey, go left."
Delta: Hell NAW man, I ain't gonna go no left! I'm keepin' it REAL!

(why I imagined the car to have a ghetto personality a la Chris Rock is beyond me at this moment.)
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:37 AM

Well, RockAuto send the wrong part for my truck (I ordered Walker P/N 50308 and they sent P/N 40308... ), so I just broke down and rented a truck yesterday to go fetch the 67 from Ohio. I have to say, $100 a day with unlimited mileage for a 2016 Ram crewcab dually 4x4 with Cummins was a pretty good deal (though WAAAAY too much electronics on that truck ). Unfortunately if you tell them you plan to tow, Enterprise tacks a $16/day "towing surcharge" onto the rental... apparently just because they can.

The trip was uneventful (other than realizing that a Class V hitch has a 2.5" receiver instead of 2" - fortunately spacer sleeves are readily available). The Delta is now safely at home and ready for an assessment of what's needed to make it a reliable driver. My Thornton's repro dual exhaust manifold already arrived, and I found someone selling a pair of new, factory-style exhaust pipes on ebay, which I'll pick up at Carlisle.
Where did u find the repro dual exhaust manifold??? I couldn't find one

Last edited by Aqua67; September 6th, 2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aqua67
Where did u find the repro dual exhaust manifold??? I couldn't find one
Thorntons, who has be reproing them for about a decade now. Everyone else (Fusick, etc) just sells those. Thorntons calls it a "Starfire dual exhaust manifold", so search for that.
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:38 AM

Finally got to spend a little quality time with the D88. Good news is that the camber problem is caused by the fact that there is no rubber left in the upper control arm bushings. At least it isn't a bent control arm or worse. Bushings are easy.

Drove the car around the property a little. Brakes are awful. Steering is just a suggestion (likely due in no small part to the upper control arm bushings). Car desperately needs a tune up and carb rebuild. Most of those parts will be here this week.
Just went through that myself earlier this year... Except it turned out to be both uppers AND lowers that were completely gone.

I wish you luck in finding a sway bar, I remember seeing this thread a while back concerning the correct Delmont police pkg bars. I've thought about hunting one down myself for the "cool factor" but truth be told, I haven't had any complaints about handling besides some major steering slop from a few worn-out parts.
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Supernaut72
Just went through that myself earlier this year... Except it turned out to be both uppers AND lowers that were completely gone.

I wish you luck in finding a sway bar, I remember seeing this thread a while back concerning the correct Delmont police pkg bars. I've thought about hunting one down myself for the "cool factor" but truth be told, I haven't had any complaints about handling besides some major steering slop from a few worn-out parts.
Yeah, I'm planning on a complete front end rebuild while I'm at it. I didn't plan on hunting down an original bar. I was intending to either go aftermarket or adapt something. I've got a large rear bar for the 73-77 A-body cars that might be made to work, or else the Crown Vic bar that clamps to the housing and has end links to the frame is another option.
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:15 PM

as far as a swaybar i used one for an A body and used a piece of 2 inch square tubing on each side for spacers,works perfectly.i have a used factory manifold for driver's side with duals if anyone is interested.jc

66 dynamic 88 with sway bar
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
as far as a swaybar i used one for an A body and used a piece of 2 inch square tubing on each side for spacers,works perfectly.i have a used factory manifold for driver's side with duals if anyone is interested.jc
Nicely done. Thanks for the photo.
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Thorntons, who has be reproing them for about a decade now. Everyone else (Fusick, etc) just sells those. Thorntons calls it a "Starfire dual exhaust manifold", so search for that.
Thanks Joe, found it. Are you replacing the existing passenger exhaust pipes as well or just adding to the left?
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aqua67
Thanks Joe, found it. Are you replacing the existing passenger exhaust pipes as well or just adding to the left?
I got a smoking deal on a pair of exhaust pipes that I'll be picking up at Carlisle. Plan to do the manifold when I get those pipes, and probably switch to Dynomax Super Turbos.
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:56 AM

I got a smoking deal on a pair of exhaust pipes that I'll be picking up at Carlisle. Plan to do the manifold when I get those pipes, and probably switch to Dynomax Super Turbos.
Wasn't sure initially if i wanted to go the dually route, even went as far as ordering a new crossover pipe because i couldn't find the dual repro.. Now i'm jealous
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a teaser. Just pulled the trigger on this wheel and tire combo, to be picked up at Carlisle. FYI, More Than Tires (who always has a big presence there since they are local to Carlisle) was about $20 apiece cheaper on the wheels than anywhere else. Tires were also less expensive. My only decision now is white letters or blackwalls.

Quick Reply: Added a 67 Delta to the collection