88 vert.top latch

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM

88 vert.top latch

Hello everyone! Havn't been here for awhile to post but read everyday.My 1975 88rag now has new carpet .weatherstriping and top.Don't ask about the $ but it definately left a scar. I had a set of used top latches that came with the car but I never really looked at closely. When the top was installed I had the the Uphl. guy replace the broken d/s latch w/a used one.He didn't mention and I did't notice that the latch was bent upward allowing it to press up against the new top.I am afraid that the latch pressing against the top will ware a premature hole in the top.Can this pot metal/cast junk metal be straightened slowly w/o breaking? A new d/s latch is now made of "GOLD " or other precious metal per the prices on line.
thanks
dyw
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

It's worth a try, just do like you said and pull slowly and steadily and hope for the best. If it is bad and is going to wear through the top something has to be done anyway so you have nothing to lose, just careful not to damage the top. Maybe slip a piece of pipe over it for some leverage with some rags to keep it from scratching? I'm not real familiar with that set up or if that would work. I don't know if heat would make any difference, probably better not to do it on a cold day though.

Allan