59 Holiday Coupe Quarter Window Question

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 04:32 PM

59 Holiday Coupe Quarter Window Question

Has anyone had experience repairing or replacing the felt in the channel that the top of the quarter window fits into when closed? I'm told that some people glue in new pieces of felt (sounds tricky) while others replace with new inner metal channels with felt attached?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (74.2 KB, 18 views)
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:11 PM

They do sell the channel with the fuzz or felt as a unit. I suppose you could also glue the felt in there too. I guess it is your call. I would prefer the repop ones but you need to get the right width. They sell it in lenghts that you cut for size and leave the mounting up to you. If I remember the original factory stuff had tabs that get bent over on the back side.
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:58 PM

Hi John,
My felts were salvageable, so I left the originals in. I was going to get the replacements from Fusick though.

I did change the felts for my Chev truck. I bought the felt, used a good quality glue and had a length of wood the length of the strip and a little under the width of the gap the felt was to go into. I had the felt laying over the gap and pushed the wood into the gap, all the way in pushing the felt in. With the felt it was fairly tight which is what I wanted. I then clamped it in place until glue dried. Trip to suit the edges.
Old June 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Thanks Oldsmaniac and 5998. I would like to replace the felt and channel with a repop. It appears the Unit is built with two strips of SS overlapping at the top with the felt/metal part captured in between the two. All three pieces (the two SS pieces and the felt/metal channel) are spot welded about every three inches. I think I can drill out all the spot welds and get it apart but getting it back together seems challenging. I suppose the screws that hold it to the roof and rails will hold it together. I guess I can even try epoxying. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
image.jpg (24.3 KB, 8 views)
Old June 10th, 2014, 09:35 AM

Another pic. There are two spot welds on this pic. One just below the hole and to the right. Another about three sections up.
Attached Images
image.jpg (32.8 KB, 9 views)
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:10 PM

John,

P.M sent.
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:28 PM

I do not have any photos, thought I had as I usually do when working on the car.

Anyway, The strip with the felt was separated after drilling out the rivets. My felt was o.k so I left it in. When I put the two strips back together instead of pop riveting them back, (as I could see that the rivet would stick out too much and catch the sliding door glass, I used two screws - one top and one bottom. Two only as I thought not much pressure or weight would be applied to the strip. (So far so good).

The screws I used were fairly thick but very short, the shortest I had. They had a counter sink head so they were flat in the channel and buried in the felt. As it turns out the glass frame missed the screw head, but, adjusting the door glass frame did bring the bottom of the runner closer to the glass frame and it did catch. So a little adjusting and it is ok now.
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:46 AM

John, these guys have a lot of stuff. Might want to check them out. http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:16 PM

Thanks mrolds88. I checked with Restoration Specialties as well as OPG and Fusick's. They all said I'm outta luck. The piece I need is the metal inner channel with felt. It is shaped like a "U" but the oddity is that one leg of the "U" is longer than the other. I have not been able to find one like that. At this point I decided to buy the felt tape and glue it in with 3M Black Weatherstrip Adhesive. I won't be getting to this for a couple weeks but will post on what I did and how it worked.
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:00 AM

John,

Try: Rubber the right way

PART 10-031V

Front Door Vent Window Division Seal

Front door vent window division seals. These sit vertically to seal back side of vent window to vent window frame. Top quality, made to original GM specifications. Sold by the pair. MADE IN THE USA.

OR

PART 10-016X
Flocked Division Channel (Rigid) - LOWER

• 1952-60 All models with 2 piece division channel (nearly all models)

| 3 Reviews

Flocked division channel - lower - two 15" strips. 1/2" wide x 1/2" deep, steel channel with flocked lining as original. These seals go on the back side of the front door vent window frame to accept the door glass. These are for all models with 2 piece division channel (nearly all models) - we also offer the upper section, RTRW part #10-012X. This material is also available by the foot, and free samples are available. MADE IN THE USA.

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:59 AM

Thanks John. I got the vent seals and the division channel all ready to go. The part I was inquiring about is where the rear quarter window seals up at the top against the roof trim near the drip rail. The front door window seals with rubber and I have that. The rear quarter seals into a channel lined with felt. It's fairly big because of the size of the rear quarter window frame. I've checked with all the usual suspects and they all know what I want but no one can help other than suggesting I go the glue route which I'm going to do. Thanks for the reply and the pm as well!