1976 Delta 88 Royale - I like !

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:25 PM

1976 Delta 88 Royale - I like !

I'm not very familiar with post '75 Olds' but I love the roof line and the big stainless band separating vinyl from metal. Interested in opinions before I look at it.
Attached Images
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Nice looking car. Those years are rare even though they made lots of them .I had an Uncle who had one . He loved it ,got a lot of service out it. Ken
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:32 AM

I believe there's a window behind the metal bar. (or there was)
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Oldsdruid

That is a Royale Crown Landau. For all practical purposes it was the 1976 Hurst/Olds as Hurst did the roof conversion for Olds, in very similar fashion to how they did the 1975 Cutlass-based Hurst/Olds.

It's one of those "cars I would like to own before I die" but nice ones are not easy to find. These cars suffered from typical 1970s GM rust problems but are mechanically very good cars.

I never liked the color-keyed wheelcovers that were part of the RCL package. The cars look better with wire caps, and a set of Super Stock IV Polycasts will really wake it up. Makes those heavy massive cars look very light on their feet.
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That is a Royale Crown Landau. For all practical purposes it was the 1976 Hurst/Olds as Hurst did the roof conversion for Olds, in very similar fashion to how they did the 1975 Cutlass-based Hurst/Olds.

It's one of those "cars I would like to own before I die" but nice ones are not easy to find. These cars suffered from typical 1970s GM rust problems but are mechanically very good cars.

I never liked the color-keyed wheelcovers that were part of the RCL package. The cars look better with wire caps, and a set of Super Stock IV Polycasts will really wake it up. Makes those heavy massive cars look very light on their feet.
Very interesting and very informative. Thank you, Rocketraider.
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Oldsdruid

You're welcome. If that car is sound underneath and not overpriced I think you would enjoy it, especially if it's a 455 car. RCL doesn't really command a premium over any other comparable 1976 88 which makes them a bargain for people who know what they are. The downside is that if any of that roof outline molding needs replaced, it will be tough to find. It is not GM-issue and untelling where Hurst sourced it. I have the 1976 Dealer Bulletins referencing the Hurst part #s and who to contact at Hurst if parts were needed, but after 37 years and Hurst being out of business...

The blind-quarter styling is elegant, moreso than the standard issue big fixed quarter windows. Though I'll give it to them- Buick-Olds-Pontiac did a far superior job with their full-size Colonnades than Chevy did with theirs. The 74-76 big Chevy's quarter-window styling was borderline heinous. There is several inches difference between the bottom of the door window and the bottom edge of the quarter glass, and it just never looked right. The design of their vinyl roof outline moldings didn't do much for it either- always looked like it was just thrown together with no thought as to how it would ultimately look. Dare I say it? it looked cheap.

Anyone else notice the snowtires on the back? Haven't seen a car with snowtires around here in years. Used to run them on the Custom Cruiser wagon and it always got me where I needed to go. Now I think I have to have a 4WD to go in snow.
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:24 PM

Speaking of quarter window modifications, this was my non-Olds buy on first day of Spring Carlisle. The 88 is understated by comparison !

1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille " El Deora"
Color: Cerise Firemist w/ 27,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
email.jpg (119.0 KB, 67 views)
email3.jpg (101.9 KB, 59 views)
email6.jpg (66.5 KB, 49 views)
email5.jpg (114.0 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by fmbjogger; May 5th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Oldsdruid

That's one I hadn't heard of, but "coachbuilt" companies were doing all kinds of things with Cadillacs in the 70s.

Olds and Buick offered similar treatments for Ninety Eight and Electra coupes at least in 1974 and 75. I cannot remember what they were called, and all the literature is packed away.

Put on your widest lapels and a pair of platform shoes and you're ready to go!
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That's one I hadn't heard of, but "coachbuilt" companies were doing all kinds of things with Cadillacs in the 70s.

Olds and Buick offered similar treatments for Ninety Eight and Electra coupes at least in 1974 and 75. I cannot remember what they were called, and all the literature is packed away.

Put on your widest lapels and a pair of platform shoes and you're ready to go!
Yup, here's a modified '74 Buick Electra I recently looked at but didn't buy. She's nice.
Attached Images
708119870.jpg (136.7 KB, 54 views)
708119881.jpg (110.6 KB, 38 views)
708119922.jpg (126.7 KB, 40 views)
708119891.jpg (142.5 KB, 41 views)
708119880.jpg (140.9 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by fmbjogger; May 6th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by fmbjogger
Speaking of quarter window modifications, this was my non-Olds buy on first day of Spring Carlisle. The 88 is understated by comparison !

1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille " El Deora"
Color: Cerise Firemist w/ 27,000 miles.
She's beautiful!
Old June 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Senior Moment Member

My mother had a Candy Apple Red 76 Royale w/ the roof treatment. White roof, white interior. I remember the sticker or something from Hurst Corp being in the door pillar area. Neat car. Hers had a small block.
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:50 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

hey fmb, can you say superfly? I sure can and love those style cars and had three 75 coupe devilles among other cars. my best one was scarlet red with white top and interior with later brougham wires, man it was sharp, but that el deora is awesome with the vinyl top extending to the door tops and trunk! that color really sets it off and if I remember right some 50s and 60s caddys came with a similar color and just looked elegant. that buick that you did not buy has the right Blaxploitation film vibe as well. sweet!
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:20 PM

All hail the 70's

Thanks, DJ. We sure have similar tastes. I've really gotten into these unusual color/interior/modification 70's GM cars. The 70's represent the most garish/outlandish and totally awesome car colors and interiors. I also have three 1975 Cadillacs that are pretty outrageous. I'd post the individual pics but I had to replace my hard drive and lost my pics. Here's a link to my Flickr page. There's plenty of Oldsmobiles represented, including a 1970 Olds 98 military ambulance I'm considering buying....you'll love the " Superfly" '75 Sedan DeVille pictured .....yeah, the 70's baby !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78593524@N04/
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

wow, super sweet past and present rides man, totally digging it! love the garish excess the most and the superfly sedan is killer, always wanted to do a tribute eldo or deville complete with the duesenberg style exhaust coming out of the fenders! I have to scan and eventually download pics of some of my old rides but here's a few for now. I still have the gp, it's a golden anniversary model and pretty decent, but will eventually come apart to do it as clean as I would like.. ( I work at a collision shop and do my own resto\body\paint work) I did the Riviera myself and started with a $300 car. kept it four years and sold it to a guy in Colorado. the crown vic I bought for a daily driver hit in the nose for $650 and cleaning it up turned into a full paint job and silver metallic vinyl top. yeah, I would say we have the same disease!
Attached Images
sep 2010 081.jpg (85.9 KB, 31 views)
sep 2010 076.jpg (40.2 KB, 31 views)
crown vics last day 009.jpg (49.4 KB, 31 views)
vacation 067.jpg (50.4 KB, 33 views)
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:17 PM

DJ, I'm a Buick guy also and that Buick you sold was killer. FANTASTIC PAINT JOB....that Buick symbol inset is mind-blowing. Those Grand Prix's look sweet and in great shape. I don't think they're appreciated enough...except by guys like us. They could be fully optioned and still retain a very modern and sporty look. You do great work....I'm jealous !
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:25 PM

First off, that 76 Delta is a BOAT!! Not that its a bad thing And like it's been said, they made a lot of them, but they are rare anymore.

I like the bigger cars. They don't usually get the kind of love that the Cutlasses do, but still awesome cars
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

hey fmb I agree about all of these cars being under appreciated, I know most gravitate towards muscle cars and I love them too, but the real ones are kinda pricey, I could have four boats for the same money! my friends think im retarded with my taste for 70s pimpmobiles, but nothing feels better just taking one for a ride. I look at the gp's as luxury muscle cars as they pack a 400 and 455 with every option imaginable while still being somewhat sporty. as far as the oldsmobiles I do have, I couldn't picture a better road trip car than my 76 regency. I had a 72 riv also and people loved or hated it, but it never mattered much to me brother, you just cannot beat these cars on the open road as long as there are no sharp curves!