1974 88 trans flush parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2015, 06:31 AM

1974 88 trans flush parts needed?

I checked my fluid in the trans yesterday. It is at the correct level but is dirty (no so red now) and smells old, not burnt.
Can parts be had for the old girl to do a trans flush, filter, and I assume pan gasket. Does the T-converter have a drain plug? The trans shifts perfectly at this point, just thinking it would like some new juice in her.
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:58 AM

at 70k the car trans fluid prob is orig or maybe just flushed once in it's life. Any suggestions on the type fluid to use, brand? Additives? How many quarts does it hold? Should I go synthetic?
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:43 AM

There are millions of these transmissions out there, and parts and fluid are available at any auto parts store.

Autozone has a filter and gasket kit for $10.99, in stock.

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/t...t-7-5l-4bl-ohv

According to the manual, a drain and refill takes 3 quarts. There will be 10 different brands of AT fluid at the store. Pick a good one compatible with GM transmissions. I've never added anything else but transmission fluid in any fluid change I've ever done.

There are no drain plugs. I just loosen carefully all around, lowering it more at one corner so it drips from that side, and I catch it in a wide, shallow pan. I still make a mess. There's almost no way to avoid it.
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:45 AM

can't drain the torque converter, flush it??? What does the whole system hold, certainly more than 3 quarts?
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:49 AM

The manual says that after a drain and refill is 3 quarts. After a complete overhaul, it's 10 quarts. If I were you, if the transmission is giving no problems as you say, I would just drop the pan, replace the filter, replace the pan with the new gasket, refill, and be on my way.
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yes parts are readily available for your trans. You dont state whether its a TH350 or TH400. Either way parts are readily available. Be sure to purchase high quality correct spec trans fluid gasket and filter. Jegs & Summit offer high qual stuff. NAPA, United, Federated the non big box parts houses deal with the better parts. Try WIX for the filter & gasket. Also consider a drain plug install kit for the original pan or a new pan with the drain plug. Makes service a breeze and much neater. If I was you I would try to flush out as much fluid as possible. Which means more than just the pan content.
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:05 AM
Oldsdruid

If you can find a competent trans or general service shop to do this flush thru the cooler lines, that should clean everything incl torque converter up nicely. You'll still need a fresh filter though. I've never had a flush done on my GM stuff so IDK what point they install clean filter.

I don't think I'd go synthetic with it at this point. Good quality Dexron (what is it now, VI?) should be fine.
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:15 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

You can get 90-95% of the fluid out through the pressure ports. This applies to most analog and early E Auto transmissions. Thread a 1/8" (or what ever size you have generally 1/8) barbed fittin into the port, hook a hose to said fittin and guide hose into a drain pan. Turn on car for about 30 sec until it starts to spit. Hold on to the hose. Of course do this before you drop the pan. This will also drain the pan down making that task easier and neater. But the pressure flush is best.