1969 Delta 88 Royale

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM

1969 Delta 88 Royale

I have a chance to buy a '69 Delta 88 Royale 2dr hardtop coupe with 24,000 original miles. It has the 365HP 455. Always garaged, all original. Only a couple of surface scratches in the paint. Any thoughts on what its worth?
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM

I don't know what it's worth, but I sure as heck wish I had it!
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM

According to the Old Cars Price Guide, a '69 Delta 88 Royale 2-door hardtop in #3 condition ("car show" condition but not showroom condition) has a value of about $7,600. The low mileage on this one could make it worth more.

Sounds like a nice car. Please post photos if you can.
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks, I was thinking it was worth a little more, Nada has it significantly higher (as in double). Any thoughts on the discrepancy? There aren't a lot of these for sale or sold so kinda hard to value I guess I'll post pics and complete option list
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM

FYI, it was my wife's grampa's car, he purchsed it new. He was a race car driver that was paralyzed in an accident, so the car ended up parked. It is now owned by her dad and just sits in his garage...
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by jwross007
Nada has it significantly higher (as in double). Any thoughts on the discrepancy?
NADA is always much higher. It's not clear why as another site gives values similar to the Old Cars Price Guide, if not a little lower. I think use of the NADA guide has led to frustration for many sellers who take those values to heart when they really are quite high, and they have difficulty selling their car as a result.

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/.../69oldele.html

If you click on the "condition guide" link at the bottom of the page, it sounds like your car is between #2 and #3 but closer to #2, which puts its value perhaps a bit below $6,500, at least according to this source.
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks, I saw that site as well. It is curious as to why there is no uplift for the 365 HP engine option as I would assume it is far more desirable that the base. There is also no mention of the 390HP option? I think your estimate of "closer to a 2" will turn out to be correct as it is a So Cal car that has been garaged it's entire life.. I suspect all docs (protecto plate etc) are intact, but I don't know for sure.
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM

It is curious as to why there is no uplift for the 365 HP engine option as I would assume it is far more desirable that the base. There is also no mention of the 390HP option? I suspect all docs (protecto plate etc) are intact, but I don't know for sure.
You have to keep in mind a few points. What determines 90-95% of the car's value is simply what it is. In this case, it's a '69 Delta 88 Royale 2-door. A reasonably desirable car, but not a highly desirable one on an absolute scale of old car collectibility.

Three aspects of an old car determine its value: condition, rarity, and intrinsic desirability/collectibility. Many people assume that if the first two are positive (good condition, rare car), the third one will automatically be true. But it doesn't work that way.

A car has to be one that people want. If it WERE true, then all the '68 Cutlass four-door sedans around today would be more valuable than '68 442s because more 442s were collected and survived to today than were 4-doors. But the four-doors are not more valuable, and that's because people don't want them as much, if at all.

Convertibles are more desirable than coupes. Hardtops are more desirable than post cars. 2-doors are more desirable than 4-doors. Sedans/coupes/convertibles are more desirable than station wagons. Cutlasses and 442s are more desirable than the full-size cars. Etc.

Secondly, you can't get too caught up in what options are on any particular car. In many instances, if the car has the base engine/power option, a higher power option can be obtained by just replacing the 2-barrel carb with a 4-barrel. So don't assume that just because a car has a higher-power engine it will be significantly more valuable. The higher-power engine might make the $6,000 car a $6,200 car, but it's not going to make it an $8,000 car or probably even a $7,000 car.

Ditto for the paperwork. It's nice that you have it, and it's very nice that the car is still in the hands of the family of its original purchaser, because that means its history is well documented. But it still comes down to the car itself. The added paperwork and one-ownerness might make a $6,000 car a $6,100 car, but that's about it. It's not going to make it a $7,000 car.

I'm kind of curious as to why you're concerned that some of these price guides don't value the car as highly as you seem to think it should be. You said you're looking to BUY the car, not sell it. I would think you'd want to pay as little as possible, and thus you'd be HAPPY with any reputable source that doesn't value the car too highly.

You say it's your wife's grandfather's car. So you're looking for a fair price because it's family you're dealing with, and you want to be nice to them. Very understandable. So I'd think you'd want to find several sources of price guidance, average them, and give that amount to your in-laws for the car. In short, you don't want to underpay, but you don't want to overpay, either.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 29th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM

I think your estimate of "closer to a 2" will turn out to be correct
Be careful about this as well. You say that the car has scratches in the paint. If that's the case, it's not showroom condition. Paint is a tough thing. If the car has been sitting in a garage and has had 40 years of people edging their way around it to get to in or out of the garage, get a tool off the shelf, or whatever, it likely has a few scratches in it, maybe even more than a few. Was it covered all that time?

I noticed in your other thread you mentioning that there is a dent in the hood as well. These things don't help!

A few scratches (and a dent) can mean a significant expense and effort to really bring it back to looking showroom new, so the car could be well away from showroom condition, at least as far as amount of money that might have to be spent, regardless of the low mileage and how good it looks when you're standing 20 feet away from it.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 29th, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM

There's a lot of good advice here. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. On the big cars, they are usually listed much higher than they're actually selling for these days. I bought a big car a couple years ago, 2-door, top engine, a few minor paint problems, perfect interior, 72k original miles. You'd think that they were worth $7k to $10k based on what people are asking. But what they're selling for is well under $5k. I got it for $3,500.
Old July 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You say it's your wife's grandfather's car. So you're looking for a fair price because it's family you're dealing with, and you want to be nice to them. Very understandable. So I'd think you'd want to find several sources of price guidance, average them, and give that amount to your in-laws for the car. In short, you don't want to underpay, but you don't want to overpay, either.
Yup, you captured my dilemma to a tee... He wants 6K, which I initially thought was more than fair, but based on your feedback, I'm not so sure (and I don't really want to negotiate as it doesn't seem appropriate). I don't really need another vehicle (my Elky takes up all the extra room in my garage already) but he could use the $$ I'm sure, and it seemed like it might not be a bad "investment" and a fun car to own. If it was Coronet or even a Galaxie it would be worth a lot more!

Thanks again for all the advise!!
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM

$6,000 sounds like a fair price. Be careful, someone else might buy it out from under you!
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:43 PM

$6,000 sounds like a fair price. Be careful, someone else might buy it out from under you!
Cool, thanks again! I'll post some pics.
Old July 29th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Make sure if there is any documents with the car they stay with it a lot can be found on the build sheet. There are folks here that can read those codes on it.
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Good thought, but don't panic the OP into thinking he should have a piece of documentation he can't find.

Build sheets aren't part of the glovebox literature like the protect-o-plate, owner's manual, etc. you get when you buy the car. Build sheets are found when someone dismantles a car to restore it, replace a gas tank, or something like that as, if there is one in the car somewhere at all, it is usually tucked in a very hard to reach place like on top of the gas tank, behind the headliner or behind a door panel, places like that. No repairs of this magnitude are likely to have been done to a car that has only 24,000 miles and barely a scratch on it and has been kept in a garage for most of the last 40 years. I would be very surprised if he has a build sheet.
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM

Good thought, but don't panic the OP into thinking he should have a piece of documentation he can't find.
Yeah, but I'm guessing he has the protecto plate, and if I'm lucky original invoice!
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:40 AM

The protect-o-plate was glovebox stuff, so if he never did much with the glovebox, it ought to still be there. Some people never touch that stuff. Other people keep everything but the kitchen sink in there.

The invoice is another matter. I'm guessing most people didn't keep that in the glovebox. If they kept it at all, it was with whatever paperwork was associated with the car, like loan documents if a loan was taken out, when it was purchased. That sort of things was probably kept in a desk drawer or file cabinet. If your in-laws have lived in the same house all this time, you might very well find it. What would be really cool is if he kept the original window sticker.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM

What would be really cool is if he kept the original window sticker.
Window sticker would be soooo cool....
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM

I seem to recall that back in those days, window stickers were more difficult to remove than they are now, and they would often get destroyed, or at least pretty badly beat up, in the process. Nowadays I think they're just lightly tacked on at the top and bottom or something like that, and they pop off easily. But I remember my father trying to remove them back in the day with a razor blade and not always having the best of success.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Having worked in a dealer in the late 80's-90's ...

There is a trick & some skill to removing a fully glued on window sticker.

I would would wet them with a liquid based glass cleaner.

Using a single razor blade (no holder) starting at the top RH corner ... pull that RH corner back just enough to make a lil' "tab" of sorts that you will be using to hold onto.

Now, while holding that top RH corner like a tab ...

I would slowly move the razor blade at a slight angle from top to bottom while holding the top RH corner & pulling ever so gently towards the left.

Once your blade would get to the bottom of the sticker ...

You pull it away & start back at the top again making another pass top to bottom while continuing to pull gently to the left.

You repeat this top-to-bottom process until the entire sticker is removed.

When done correctly ... the sticker remains intact & in one piece.

Do note ... the window stickers would be very sticky at this point

Once removed, it was very important to lay them face up on a firm surface so they could be left alone to dry.

If you didn't do that ... all your careful work above would be for nothing.
(much like duct or packing tape turns into a big mess when it sticks to itself)

Once they were fully dry ... they could be folded up & stored with the owners manual or other car documents.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM

1969 Delta 88 Royale - PICTURES!

As promised, pictures attached...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds%20engin%20specks.jpg (63.6 KB, 67 views)
olds%20pics_00812.jpg (32.8 KB, 61 views)
olds%20pics_00834.jpg (27.9 KB, 67 views)
olds%20pics_00845.jpg (27.8 KB, 60 views)
olds%20pics_00851.jpg (30.2 KB, 60 views)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM

1969 Delta 88 Royale - PICTURES!

One more...
Attached Images
olds%20pics_00823.jpg (37.5 KB, 59 views)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Sharp looking car.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:09 PM

Probably worth $6k all day...
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Probably worth $6k all day...
X2, that is a beautiful car. What color is it?-possible to get some engine pics posted?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Yah, that's it....uh, where did you say the car was?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
X2, that is a beautiful car. What color is it?-possible to get some engine pics posted?
Not sure of the color a brown/gold, paint is original so some probably knows what was offered in '69 Looks like I need to drive out and take some more pics (my father in-law sent these)! I'll get the engine and cowl tag as well, and see what goodies are in the glove box. The engine spec sheet was with the paper work in the glove.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM

Topaz or aztec gold???
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Very nice. One of the best looking 69's I've seen.
Looks well worth the price to me.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Looks like Topaz Poly to me. Check for a 65 PNT code on the cowl tag.

I see non-original 15" wheel covers. Is the car disc-brake equipped?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Registered Luser

With that color combo, it should be in your driveway by now. Up here in NY, it wouldn't last long.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by copper128
Looks like Topaz Poly to me. Check for a 65 PNT code on the cowl tag.

I see non-original 15" wheel covers. Is the car disc-brake equipped?
Yeah, gramps put on the wheel covers, but my father in-law still has the originals. I believe it is a front disk car. I'll confirm. I'll take a pic of the cowl tag and post when I go pick it up
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Sooooo,,,you bought it?!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
With that color combo, it should be in your driveway by now. Up here in NY, it wouldn't last long.
Won't go in my driveway but rather in my garage next to my Elky! My wife won't be too pleased
Attached Images
ElCamino 019.jpg (91.9 KB, 9 views)
ElCamino 020.jpg (85.4 KB, 9 views)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Sooooo,,,you bought it?!
Well, he is my father in law, so I just told him I would buy it Next on my list is his '59 356C
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Registered Luser

Won't go in my driveway but rather in my garage next to my Elky! My wife won't be too pleased
But of course!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
But of course!
Dude, your vista cruiser is going to be sick! We had one like that when I was a kid, then I turned 16 and drove it into a ditch :-/
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

To remove any sticker from a window I use a steamer, yes the kind you steam clean clothes with......steam is amazing.......I also use this method to remove tint, leaves hardly any residue to scrape off.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Registered Luser

Dude, your vista cruiser is going to be sick! We had one like that when I was a kid, then I turned 16 and drove it into a ditch :-/
Thank you! It's been so hot here, haven't touched it in a few months!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM

Gorgeous car!

Quick Reply: 1969 Delta 88 Royale