1966 Delta/Dynamic/Starfire

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2009, 05:30 AM

1966 Delta/Dynamic/Starfire

This is my favorite body style. I like the red color they had that year also. I have a very solid white 66 Dynamic convertible "stuffed" in the corner of one of my buildings. It's on my list of "things to do." Unfortunally there are so many more important things in front of it. It seems the older I get the less free time I have for myself. I like the way my 71 Delta conv. rides/handles and stops VS my 1967 98's. They ride good but the handling/stopping isn't as good as the 71. I have an extra 71 Deta 4-door with a mint frame and my plan was to box the frame and re-body the Dynamic onto it. (plus I always wanted a 4-speed one) I thought it would make a great road car. Probably won't do it though unless I hit the lottery and retire. Even if u have all the parts to do a car they still become real "money-pits" and your lucky to get $.50 back on a dollar. (Labor is worth nothing) The reason I brought up this thread is I saw a nice blue one for sale and it got me thinking about it. I like the hard-tops of that year also. I see there are some 1966 B-body owners on the site So many things to do, so little time! Later, Ken
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:27 AM
EKi

Mid to late sixties GM B-Body cars are some of the coolest cars ever made.
Luxury and performance in a car that fits six people comfortably and looks cool.
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:21 AM

My Nephew has a 1967 Olds Delta Holiday coupe that he drag races. You wouldn't believe the work in this car. It has the lites in the bumper also, kinda rare bumper, you'll never find a replacement. Here's a pic. Ken http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...14-2007-22.jpg
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM

Starfire

So the Starfire was built on the same platform as the Delta 88? Here's a link to one for sale in Northern California that has the tail pipes coming out through the rear quarter panels. Looks like a nice car for the sale price, but I'm not sure if he changed the engine or just doesn't know how to key out the motor.

http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/1010606846.html

Last edited by 2blu442; January 31st, 2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:28 AM

Hi Ken, first let me say; "Glad to see you posting more lately!" By your old posts I know you're a long time big fan of the 88's & 98's. And I think the board gains quite a bit of knowledge when you're around.

I've got a 66 Jetstar 88 that I love. But you're right about the handling, I think my 70 Chevy 3/4 ton rides nearly as smooth and without the body roll. And I know it brakes much better. The Jetstar is Bronze with Bronze interior. The seats need recovered but the door panels are in great shape. Good thing, I'd have a hard time replacing them! But I should say I like the 65 88's too.

On the time factor thing all I can say is I hear ya Buddy! I kinda' wish some of you guys were closer. A few guys helping on that 66 conv. body on a 71 frame would move that job along. It does sound like a cool project! I've got to drop off a compressor at a co-workers place today. I've been offering to loan it to him for months to get him going on one of his projects and he's finally ready. Us older cars guys sometimes need to encourage each other.

A few buddies and co-workers tease me about the money I spend on my old cars which isn't much. I remind them I'm not making payments on those cars. And I tell them "My kids can sell them when I'm dead" so I'm not worried about what they are worth!

Anyway... keep posting!

Don
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM

Kenny, looks like you have lots of neat projects in mind and most of the parts to complete them wish you were closer and I would offer to help. I am 63 and a one man show as well, sometimes its had just to get started with all of the other things the need doing. With better weather comming soon I will get started again on the Olds projects. Once I get started I do make progress, its just that the starting gets harder.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM

Hello Again, Because work slowed down I am off weekends, nice. For 3 years I was scheduled 7 days a week. (overtime was cheaper than hiring someone.) I was on the computer alot when I broke my ankle 2+ yr's ago. I just came in from plowing a few Neighbors drives.(cleaning them up) I have an old Chevy plow truck that comes in handy. I just bought the perfect house for me in June. I wasn't really looking for a house but I happened to see it and I knew I wanted. I'm going to try to NOT give this one away to a woman like my last one. Beautiful area, all woods, unbelievaibly quiet area. I have 5 acres and I want to buy the matching 5 acres of woods next to me. Hmmmm, 12 acres of woods behind me. I need to build a large building o I can move my cars and "stuff." I still have my buldings but they are 5 miles away. Jetstar 88 are very rare. If u come across a Jetstar parts car, snag the rear-end housing because they are know to wear into the housing around the axle bearings. I've had a couple guys contact me looking for housings. They have a different housing than the other 88 models and the control arms are Jetstar only also. I always have a phobia about needing something so I have a parts car or two of everything I have. Those Starfires are sharp, I had a chance to buy a "rough" 66 Starfire for $1200 but didn't, kinda wish I had. They have a 3:23 posi in them. I was going to take the trim and put it of the Dynamic to make a 1966 "Starfire" convertible. They never made one! Talk to u guys soon, Ken
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM
EKi

My Nephew has a 1967 Olds Delta Holiday coupe that he drag races. You wouldn't believe the work in this car. It has the lites in the bumper also, kinda rare bumper, you'll never find a replacement. Here's a pic. Ken http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...14-2007-22.jpg
That's one mean looking Delta 88. Never really thought of these cars as dragsters, can't even imagine the amount of work involved.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by EKi
Mid to late sixties GM B-Body cars are some of the coolest cars ever made.
Luxury and performance in a car that fits six people comfortably and looks cool.
Here's another rear view for you EKi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JS1.1mod.jpg (56.6 KB, 35 views)
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
EKi

Nice
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Toro68

I know of a red 1965 Starfire convertible for sale in S Maine.
Red on red. My dad did the air condtion work at his shop, Auto/Air Inc, in south Portland, Maine.

Old February 1st, 2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Jetstar 88 are very rare. If u come across a Jetstar parts car, snag the rear-end housing because they are know to wear into the housing around the axle bearings. I've had a couple guys contact me looking for housings. They have a different housing than the other 88 models and the control arms are Jetstar only also.
The readend was a little rough when I got it. When I tore it down both the axle and the housing were bad. I put one from a 65 Delta 88 in it. That required some surgery. Now I'm rolling on two different wheel patterns so I need to convert the front. Braking improved a bunch when I installed the Delta rear. Oh yeah, I used the Jetstar control arms and modified the upper cross member. My pinion angle is off a little. I've built some adjustable control arms for it. Maybe I'll get them in this summer!

Don
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:47 AM
Registered

Hey Ken. If you want more parts I saw this '66 98? 'vert, no title or engine, $355 on Cleveland Craigslist. He says it was loaded, would it of had a Turbo 400?? He also has a 425-375hp engine from a '66 '98 for sale too so I guess it's from the same car.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1011613878.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/1008006530.html
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Those Starfires are sharp, I had a chance to buy a "rough" 66 Starfire for $1200 but didn't, kinda wish I had. They have a 3:23 posi in them.
The Anti-Spin was still an option, and from what I've seen, there were more that came without it. 3.42s were an option too.
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM

My fuel guage reads 1/4 full when it is empty. Any ideas? 1966 olds delta 88.
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:23 AM

jep, clean the gauge and if needed reset the needel

in my 69' 88 the needel fell off took me almost 6 hours to clean the damm thing and set the needel back on.

hint! car on contact, so the gauge gets 12 volt and be carefull

and there is the tank sender unit.

Nice car do,

i like those full size models very much
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:27 AM

i pitty i do not having a canadian build

i have to remind constantly 30miles-50km 50miles-80km etc
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM

disc brake setup

To do a car to car disc brake conversions, what years and model cars can I take the setup from for my 1965 Oldsmobile Delta 88?
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Nothing that I know of. I think some people have used this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Olds-...item564231b321