Standard vs. Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Standard vs. Limited Slip

Hi gang,

Can you please try to explain the difference in feel between a standard rear vs. a limited slip? I'm very used to standard rears in my Ninety Eights but I upgraded my black car to a limited slip and I can definitely feel a difference when cornering. Is it normal to feel what I would describe as a mild "rumble" when making turns? Is it possible that I didn't set the pinion 100% correctly when changing the seal?

I'm pretty new to limited slip rears so feel free to educate me here.

thank you,
John
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Did you include the anti-spin additive when you added the fluid? Get the GM stuff, aftermarket gear lube such as BFL used to include it but don't know about today, or what diff lube you used. Even well worn units will chatter on a tight corner such a fast U-turn without it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...FWlT4godvTkA7w
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Did you include the anti-spin additive when you added the fluid? Get the GM stuff, aftermarket gear lube such as BFL used to include it but don't know about today, or what diff lube you used. Even well worn units will chatter on a tight corner such a fast U-turn without it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...FWlT4godvTkA7w
Very helpful, thank you! I can't remember the brand I used off the top of my head. I'm almost positive it was for limited slip diffs but I will gladly use the Delco additive over another brand.

Can this be added to any weight gear fluid, with or without existing additive in the fluid that's in there? I'm wondering if I would need to drain the rear and start over again.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM

No just pour it in assuming it isn't overfull and would run right back out. DO NOT overfill - Good luck
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hi gang,

Can you please try to explain the difference in feel between a standard rear vs. a limited slip? I'm very used to standard rears in my Ninety Eights but I upgraded my black car to a limited slip and I can definitely feel a difference when cornering. Is it normal to feel what I would describe as a mild "rumble" when making turns? Is it possible that I didn't set the pinion 100% correctly when changing the seal?

I'm pretty new to limited slip rears so feel free to educate me here.

thank you,
John
John, my 1983 Regency Brougham had a limited slip out of the factory. Duh, I didn't realize that till I started feeling that 'rumble/chucking' on corners. Change of diff fluid (80/90) and a posi additive to the diff made it all go away. Once all that is done, really you won't notice any difference in the way the car drives, except it will not get stuck as easily.
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
No just pour it in assuming it isn't overfull and would run right back out. DO NOT overfill - Good luck
Excellent, thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Allan R
John, my 1983 Regency Brougham had a limited slip out of the factory. Duh, I didn't realize that till I started feeling that 'rumble/chucking' on corners. Change of diff fluid (80/90) and a posi additive to the diff made it all go away. Once all that is done, really you won't notice any difference in the way the car drives, except it will not get stuck as easily.
Allan, that's pretty funny but unless you peak your head under the car and look for the tag, how would you know, right? I am definitely ordering some of the additive and topping off the rear with it. I'm happy to say that I've never had any trouble with the rears on my cars so I'm pretty inexperienced in this area. The only work I've had to do is a new pinion seal and fluid change...they are very reliable rears. I can't wait to feel the difference this will make.

Thanks again to both of you.
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:07 PM

posi / limited slip

How old is this limited slip unit? NEW used? Type of unit if new and or used?

HOW did you determine how tight to tighten the pinion nut?
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by monzaz
How old is this limited slip unit? NEW used? Type of unit if new and or used?

HOW did you determine how tight to tighten the pinion nut?
Hi,

The rear is original and from a '72 Olds Ambulance/wagon. It's an Olds rear with the 12 bolt 2:93 limited slip. All I've done to it is a new pinion seal and new fluid and vent (and it was sandblasted and painted years ago as well).

When I pulled the pinion nut off, I made the mistake of not counting the turns BUT I actually have another spare rear with the same ratio and I used the count on that rear to reinstall the nut on this rear....not the most perfect method but I figured it had to be pretty close at least.