Sand blasting, Powder coating rear end?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Sand blasting, Powder coating rear end?

I took the rear end apart to have it sandblasted and powder coated. I am wondering if blasting it is a bad idea with it apart? Getting the sand out is not the problem, I am wondering if the etching of the blasting is going to hurt anything inside. He won't be blasting inside directly but I am sure he will hit it just by doing the outside. If I put it together to keep the sand out I will make a mess taking it apart for the powder coater. There can not be any trace of oil in it or it will make a mess in his oven.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2570.jpg (65.4 KB, 44 views)
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Redi-strip for diffs that's what we used. I'm not a fan of sand blasting diffs to much clean up work.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:26 PM

blast etc

do not blast the inside of the housings. the bearing and saddles must be covered with tape etc. (IF YOU DO) Just better not to. You can use kerosene to wash out the inside. It does not need to be SPOT LESS. as long as oil has been in the housing you will be ok. you have to get rid of the rust (if bad) and metallic sludge (where the tube presses into the housing a small trough that fills with crap). discoloring from the oil is not a problem. it does not need to be hospital clean...lol. Remember your oil is not being pumped through bearing clearances that are babit soft metal like on the crankshaft and cam shaft. It is all splash in the rear and the debris falls to the bottom . A magnet is the rears best friend (AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT GET IN THE WAY OF THE RING GEAR...LOL)

JIM
JD
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:13 PM

I had already cleaned out the metallic sludge. I could not believe how much there was in there. What is that from? I made some caps and bolted between the axle tubes and backing plates. also put the pinion back in with the seal and then the cover back on. It will keep the sand out but I have to take it back apart for the powder coater. He will use his high heat tape to close it all off.

Thanks
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:05 AM

I have them hot-tanked first. It cleans everything out & leaves it like a fresh casting.Nothing for the media to stick to.You can also cover the openings to keep the media out.You want it completely bare before going to the coater.
I did a few housings over the winter,and I am planning on doing more.It's $150.00 if I do one,but if I take a small batch at a time,I can get a better rate,and make it more affordable to each customer.
It costs me $15.00 to have a housing hot-tanked.

The metallic sludge that you found is likely from the clutches,or mostly.You don't find much at all in an open rear,unless it was eating itself.