Riddle me this

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Official Tire Kicker

Riddle me this

I am trying to sell a 8.2 BOP rear end with the code (SC B068 1) stamped on it. When you spin the yoke with the rear end out of the car and setting on jack stands both sides spin the same direction. If you hold one side and turn the yoke it will turn one side and you can hold the other side still. If you turn one axel the other side turns the oposite direction. Trying to figure out if this is a POSI or not. Any help or if you know where I can information on this axel code it would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM

The one way to be sure is to pull the inspection cover off and look at the carrier.

It doesn't sound right to me that you could hold one axle and rotate the yoke and other axle. Unless you have a posi with worn clutches, that might behave that way. I just read through you post again. If you turn one axle and the other turns in the opposite direction I don't think it's a posi. I don't believe they would do that even with worn clutches.

I've got a housing with a code that's not a posi, but it has a posi carrier inside. Someone, somewhere in the past swapped the carrier in the housing. So... all that to say if I were you I'd look inside and remove all doubt as to what you have. My 2 cents worth. John

Last edited by 2blu442; December 20th, 2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: updated comments
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Sounds like an open rearend to me.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM

rear diff

Posi will be fairly tight and hold its direction. If it is that easy to stop the rear tire on one side from spinning the rear is most likely a open...It is the way the spider gears work in a open as they default to the one wheel driving with NO load on the other going in opposite direction.
If they spin the same direction with the pinion being turned it is normal. But the instant you hold one turn the other will spin.

most rears are OPEN. only special order and special models such as 442 (alot were just open as this was a check off option on your order sheet back in the day)or tow package rears get a posi.