how wide is a rearend from a impala 1996 ss

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM

how wide is a rearend from a impala 1996 ss

how wide is a rearend from a impala 1996 ss i want to put it on my cutllas salon...right now i got 22'' wheels and the rubbed on rear i put spacer... the spacer is a half inch that is the reson i want a wieder rear end... what about the front i want bigger disc wheel they fit from the impala ss i know the bolt patter is defernt i unversal bolt pattern on my whells my car is 1987 salon

Last edited by ricardo; March 15th, 2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: tttttttt
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ricardo
how wide is a rearend from a impala 1996 ss i want to put it on my cutllas salon...right now i got 22'' wheels and the rubbed on rear i put spacer... the spacer is a half inch that is the reson i want a wieder rear end... what about the front i want bigger disc wheel they fit from the impala ss i know the bolt patter is defernt i unversal bolt pattern on my whells my car is 1987 salon
The B-body axles are about 60" wide flange-to-flange (there are actually a few different versions, so the measurement can vary). That's something like 4" wider than the G-body axle. Also, the control arm attach points are different. And as you already know, the Impala used a 5 x 5" bolt circle. Three strikes.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM

how wide is the G body rearend
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM

First off there is no such thing as a unverisal bolt pattern. It makes my skin crawl to hear people say that. Choose from wheels that fit the car, don't make the wheels fit the car. The G and B bodies use the 5 x 4.75 (5 x 120.65) bolt pattern.

The impala ss rear is 1/2 wider than the B body rears from the 1980's, plus the bolt pattern is different. In fact if you could get a rear end from a Impala SS, swap the axles out for the correct bolt pattern, it would fit my Delta just fine.

OK, now that that's all straightened out, let's get to the problem at hand. judgeing by you're post, the wheels are rubbing the inside of the wheel well ans you put spacers on to stop that. The spacers are a good move, but it would have been smarter to buy wheels with the correct backspace for you're car. If you did that, you wouldn't have this problem and you could be blingin down the highway until that 7.5 rear end snaps due to the extra weight of those 22's which I'm willing to bet are at least 110 lbs a piece, not counting the tires. A wider rear end will make the wheels rub the outside of the wheel wells. It's an expensive fix for something you should have paid attention to in the first place

If you want to do it right, and still bling, then listen here:

~ You'll go out and get a Ford 9 inch rear with 31 spline axles. This is a heavy duty rear end, very easy to get for the Cutlass too. Typically used in drag racing but you're going to need it for all that weight. You can get these new right from places like Currie and Strange. It's not cheap, but if you want those wheels on there, this is one of the steps to take. Do this and you'll be set in this area and you'll never have to worry about what happened in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znD7-l5Tmo

~ Next, do some reseach and buy new wheels with the correct backspacing for you're car. I'm thinking something that big you're looking at a close to 0mm offset. Another way to look at it is make the wheel center on the bolts. Example being if the wheel is ??x10 you would want a backspace of 5

~ Big Brakes, you mentioned this, probably for more bling factor, but this is prpbably one of the most important things you can do in this case. The stock 21 year old braking system on you're car was designed to stop a 14 or 15 inch wheel weighing in between 40 and 50 pounds for a wheel and tire and full of air. You are adding around 90 more pounds than the system was designed for, and looking from the master cyl point of view it's an extra 360 lbs.

The Cutlass is very easy to get a big brake kit for and I would get it all around along with the master cyl upgrade and you might as well put in new brake lines too.

This is the right way to do it, if you don't want to do it this way sell the car, put the stockers back or, be ready to break stuff and/or have an accident

Last edited by Redog; March 16th, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Just a follow up post on Redog's post.

The 77-85 B-bodies had mostly a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, but the lesser models like the Delta 88 royale, came with a 5 on 4.75

I also believe that 96 impala ss cars had a 5 on 5 pattern.
My brother has a 92 roadmaster with 5 on 5, with a set of wagon alum. rims that are also 5 on 5.
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Just a follow up post on Redog's post.

The 77-85 B-bodies had mostly a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, but the lesser models like the Delta 88 royale, came with a 5 on 4.75

I also believe that 96 impala ss cars had a 5 on 5 pattern.
My brother has a 92 roadmaster with 5 on 5, with a set of wagon alum. rims that are also 5 on 5.
Correct. For the 77-90 B-body cars, the bolt pattern was 5 x 4.75 for the sedans and 5 x 5 for the wagons and HD brakes (that's anything with the 12" front rotors, ie, police, taxi, Olds 98, Caddy Fleetwood, etc). The 91-96 B-body cars all used 5 x 5".