10 bolt 8.5 differential open to limited slip

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM

10 bolt 8.5 differential open to limited slip

Would like to replace the open carrier and 2.73 gears with a limited slip carrier and 3.73 gears for my 1972 cutlass. Is this possible using the original housing?

When I took the housing, new gears, carrier and rebuild kit to a local mechanic (who has had experience rebuilding differentials for the circle track)... He said that he has run into situations that the limited slips would not fit into the old housing.

Information either way would be very helpful.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0854.jpg (49.5 KB, 28 views)
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rickbmac
Would like to replace the open carrier and 2.73 gears with a limited slip carrier and 3.73 gears for my 1972 cutlass. Is this possible using the original housing?

When I took the housing, new gears, carrier and rebuild kit to a local mechanic (who has had experience rebuilding differentials for the circle track)... He said that he has run into situations that the limited slips would not fit into the old housing.

Information either way would be very helpful.

Thanks
Limited slip was a factory option for that housing. The correct carrier will bolt in just fine.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Find a new mechanic. Your '72 has an 8.5" rear. Any 8.5" posi from 72 through at least 87' will work. You will need the right carrier for your gear selection, I believe it has a #8 on it. I have had the best luck getting them out of GM station wagons with a tow package. Jkaz

Last edited by kaz442; July 16th, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
car guy

I just did the exact swap with no issues. I suggest looking up Brian Trick on ROP for the carrier. He had the best price.
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Thank you all!!!!!
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Gearheads.....need your help too, please.....
I just did the exact swap with no issues. I suggest looking up Brian Trick on ROP for the carrier. He had the best price.
What is ROP? New one on me. Maybe my brain's not in gear. I also want to change my gears to 3:23 and put in posi. Did you go with AUBURN or EATON? Can't remember off hand whether it has to be a series 2 or 3 carrier. But, I do remember reading somewhere that GM stock posi carriers weren't as durable??

How's the 66 project car coming along? Haven't seen any pictures of it for the longest time. I know that it's probably a money or time thing. Got anything for those of us who are curious? It was looking really nice.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Gearheads.....need your help too, please.....

What is ROP? New one on me. Maybe my brain's not in gear. I also want to change my gears to 3:23 and put in posi. Did you go with AUBURN or EATON? Can't remember off hand whether it has to be a series 2 or 3 carrier. But, I do remember reading somewhere that GM stock posi carriers weren't as durable??

How's the 66 project car coming along? Haven't seen any pictures of it for the longest time. I know that it's probably a money or time thing. Got anything for those of us who are curious? It was looking really nice.
ROP is another site "realoldspower.com" I went with an Eaton that Brain tuned up a little with stonger springs. Here is his contact info
Brian Trick
thetrickfamily@yahoo.com
814-440-3553

My 66 is going slow the last few weeks for time and money. I have been getting little stuff done but not much picture worthy. I worked on the firewall today I will get some pics up sunday