Can someone decode a number stamped on the oil fill pipe please?

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2013, 06:14 AM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Can someone decode a number stamped on the oil fill pipe please?

I just bought a 72 Olds Cutlass Coupe and I was trying to find out as much as I can on the vehicle. I noticed a seven-digit number (2567905) stamped into the oil fill pipe. I searched online and did not find anything. I do not know much about mechanics, I just love the Classic Cars. However, I will definitely start, I just retired and now I have plenty of time, lol. It is never too late to have fun.

Last edited by pfergy600; September 28th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome to Classic Olds.

That's the engine unit number.
Nobody can decode it, because nobody knows what it means. It probably doesn't mean anything.
Th first digit, though, should be the year the engine was made, so your '72 Olds has a '72 engine.

The other number on the engine is the VIN derivative, located on the left side, below the head, under the brackets.
This one will tell you whether or not the engine is original, as the last six digits are the digits of the vehicle's VIN.

It's located here:

- Eric
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM

The engine oil fill tube number is the unit number of the engine- mostly useful for warranty purposes and tracking issues early in life. It would match the number on your protecto-plate, if you have that. Otherwise good for pegging the model year of the engine [well, of the oil fill tube anyhow].
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Octania
The engine oil fill tube number is the unit number of the engine- mostly useful for warranty purposes and tracking issues early in life. It would match the number on your protecto-plate, if you have that. Otherwise good for pegging the model year of the engine [well, of the oil fill tube anyhow].
Yes, but in 1972 the engine unit number was not on the POP. '68 was the last year that was done. So nothing more than a redundancy of the VIN derivative for the year of the engine, and less reliable as the tube could be replaced.
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Thank you everyone for your help.