71 Cutlass Supreme Headers

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM

71 Cutlass Supreme Headers

Hi guys,

Since I've done so much reading on this forum, I've decided it would be worthwhile to give feedback and possibly add to the resources here.

Let me start by saying that I barely knew anything about my cutlass before taking on this project. I still don't know very much, but I know a lot more about my car now that I've spent hours and hours under it.

After reading about various headers that may fit my cutlass, as well as the cutlass supreme offset "myth," I bought a pair of Flowtech 11150FLT headers and a Flowmaster exhaust kit

I had a nasty time getting the old manifold bolts off, but eventually they came out. As much as I pulled, I could not get the dipstick tube out. After pulling for many hours, it broke off in the block. I found a lag bolt and was able to tap out the broken piece.

On the driver's side, I removed the starter and shifting linkage. Driver's side header then fit right in. The motor mount heat shield no longer fit, so I did not reinstall it. I suppose we'll find out over time if that will be a problem.

On to the passenger side - I had to remove the oil filter and oil filter bracket to get the header in, as well as disconnect the transmission cooling lines and bend them around a bit. I was then able to get the header in, but had an unwelcome surprise - the motor mount hit the header and no longer fit. A local shop down the street was able to grind the corner of the motor mount - then everything fit.

As I had run out of time and don't know how to weld yet, I took the Cutlass to the muffler shop down the street to have them install the exhaust on to the back of the headers.

Another surprise - the driver's side header collector was too high - possibly a manufacturer's defect. The shop cut off the end of the header and re-welded to make it fit. And my oil filter bracket was leaking oil - I should have replaced the gasket (now I know!)

And now it's finished - sounds awesome!! A little bit of performance is noticeable too.

Hope this info helps anyone considering the same upgrade. It sure was a pain in the ***, but worth it!!
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Headers are always an interesting and sometimes tedious project! Glad you got them in!