body mouldings and wheel arch for 71 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM

body mouldings and wheel arch for 71 cutlass

hi folks

i posted briefly about this previously but have hit a snag.

i ground the right rear wheel arch during a sleep deprived episode when the little guy was one month old, now i have the coin to finally get it fixed.

the wheel arch needs paint, also needs the wheel arch trim replaced, but also the small body moulding with the rubber inlay which has been snapped on the rear quarter panel where the paint is damaged (see attached picture). This part measures 1/2 inch wide and 1 foot 1 inch long.

Can someone please tell me where i can order both these parts from? i can find the wheel arch trim but not the second part which has been snapped and would prefer to order both from the same source if possible. Much appreciated. I've tried this on the body/paint thread but can't find the part i need.

Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
right rear wheel arch.jpg (43.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by orthoK; November 25th, 2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: added measurements of part
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:11 AM

hi,

Just a quick thought, have you tried http://www.opgi.com/ ?
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks buddy, the body mouldings I can find there are for the sx, not mine. Are there an other good parts sites you know of? I only know opg and fusicks.
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM
delete

The trim piece on the quarter is not factory. Try hitting the chain auto parts stores and try matching it up. We wheel well molding pop up on EBay every now and then. I'd try to find a good used one rather than mix old & new. OPGI doesn't have a great rep in the Olds community. Fusick's rep is very good. There is also The Parts Place.
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM

That side moulding was still available the last I checked - at body shop supply houses, NOT auto parts stores! Check your local yellow pages!
The proper term for your "arch trim" is wheel opening moulding - you may have better luck finding it under that term.

Last edited by Rickman48; November 28th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by orthoK
Can someone please tell me where i can order both these parts from? i can find the wheel arch trim but not the second part which has been snapped and would prefer to order both from the same source if possible. Much appreciated. I've tried this on the body/paint thread but can't find the part i need.
Russ
As mentioned by droptopron the side moldings are not factory ones. I've seen them before but don't like them. These are the ones that rail gets screwed or riveted to the car, then the vinyl insert goes in? They are an effective barrier for door dings, but IMO they look wrong on your car. BTW, you can get the rail end cap 'squared off' for a nicer look.

re: reveal molding. Have you considered taking it off and straigtening it yourself? There are how to videos about this if you use 'how to repair stainless auto trim' as a search.

The moldings are the same for 70-72. They are available from Fusick, Parts Place, OPG etc but they are sold as sets.
Give one of these guys a PM if you want OEM replacement; they part out lots of these cars: Eric (jensenracing77), Scott (Oldspackrat), John (2blu442) or Joe ( J-(Chicago) )

You could probably also get the proper side moldings from them at the same time?
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Thanks everyone, great info. At the moment not looking at changing the look of the car, so will check the links above.
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:26 AM

Folks, have ordered the wheel opening moulding which i should get any day but am having alot of grief finding a replacement side moulding like the one in the photo. Am going to stick with this for the time being as replacing the look for the factory mouldings would require new paint which i'm not in the market for at the moment. Would be much appreciated if anyone has a link to a body shop or knows where i can get it. Not familiar with the places in the states that would stock this part. Many Thanks

Russ
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by orthoK
Would be much appreciated if anyone has a link to a body shop or knows where i can get it. Not familiar with the places in the states that would stock this part. Many Thanks Russ
Here's one place I found. http://www.customautotrim.com/produc...ings/rivet.htm

Hope it helps. Looks to be the same as what you've got
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM

If the link Allen sent you doesn't have it let me know. I'm pretty sure I've got a complete set of this kind of side trim. It would be the weekend before I have time to send you some photos. John
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Here's one place I found. http://www.customautotrim.com/produc...ings/rivet.htm

Hope it helps. Looks to be the same as what you've got
Originally Posted by 2blu442
If the link Allen sent you doesn't have it let me know. I'm pretty sure I've got a complete set of this kind of side trim. It would be the weekend before I have time to send you some photos. John
Thanks Allen, i think you've got it. Much appreciated- thanks for the offer John.

Russ