Servicing vapor canister?

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Servicing vapor canister?

Well, I have to replace the absolutely nasty hoses to my charcoal canister, and I noticed that the hold-down for it is so rusty that it's mostly crumbled away. However, the unit doesn't seem to want to come loose, and I'd like to check the canister filter if it has one, and make sure the purge valve works properly, and replace that nasty water-holding rusted bracketry. How does this thing unbolt?
Old December 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM

There's a screw on the side that holds the canister tight, then two bolts through the bottom of the bracket to connect it to the core support. This one is missing one of the bracket to core support bolts, you can see the hole across from the bolt that's there. I've never worked on the canisters, so I can't help you with that part of your project. John

P1010283-1.jpg

P1010281-1.jpg

P1010282-1.jpg
Old December 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the tip I just wiggled it some more, and it came out. Now where can I buy a replacement bracket? I don't see one at Fusick, Year One, or Parts Place
Old December 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChefDeadpool
Thanks for the tip I just wiggled it some more, and it came out. Now where can I buy a replacement bracket? I don't see one at Fusick, Year One, or Parts Place
See if John if will sell you that one in the pics or if he has another clean one he wants to sell.
Those holders do tend to self destruct from moisture sitting between it the the canister.
Great pics and explanation by John, the assembly manual should show how it bolts in and the service manual shows how to service it too. If you don't have them register at the really cool Wildaboutcarsonline site and in the downloads section you can look at both of them in PDF form.
They have all kinds of cool stuff.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/index.html
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:21 PM

For years I was just throwing these puppys away. "I don't need no stinkin smog stuff on my car" But now that many of us are trying to make things original these are getting hard to find. This ones not perfect, it does have pitting. But I believe the metal is solid and with a heavy primer before painting black it might look OK. If you'd like, I could pull it off the core support and send you more pictures. John
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
For years I was just throwing these puppys away. "I don't need no stinkin smog stuff on my car" But now that many of us are trying to make things original these are getting hard to find. This ones not perfect, it does have pitting. But I believe the metal is solid and with a heavy primer before painting black it might look OK. If you'd like, I could pull it off the core support and send you more pictures. John
Well, this is a daily driver, but without it I get a bit of a nasty fuel smell from the open vapor line, plus I would like to have the car as stock as possible.

I'm one of those guys who just wants to have his car look good and be as rugged as possible for years of trouble free driving, and that includes passing emission inspections in states that aren't as leanient as Texas in case work takes me elsewhere.

From what I've heard, vapor canister isn't really much of a big deal either, as opposed to the obnoxious problems you can get from things like EGR.