Car Cover?

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Car Cover?

It wont be long before the weather here in Chi town puts my vert to bed. I need a car cover. The car will be in a garage. Any suggestions on where I might find a good cover. I would like one that fits my 72 cutlass convertible. There's like a million different choices and price ranges and it can get confusing. Thanks.
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Randy C.

I use a "Superweave" car cover from California Car Cover Company (www.calcarcover.com) for my '68 4-4-2 convertible, '69 4-4-2 convertible and '70 GTO hardtop. They are nice and reasonably priced from about $250 plus shipping. They say they can be used both indoors and outdoors, but I just keep mine inside during foul weather (and around here, that's from about late October to mid-May). I'm completely satisfied with those covers. Hope this helps.

Randy C.
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Grown Azz Kid

I have been looking at those covers as well for mine to sleep under in the winter. They are more expensive then most but I hear the quality is very high and does not scratch.

Randy. I see you are just south of me. I am in federal way. Will you have one of your cars at the BOP event on the 25th?
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:14 AM

take a look at carcoversdirect. made by covercraft. great customer service. the dustop material is what i have.
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Registered

x2 on the Dustop cover, I've had one on my GTO for years, and believe or not...it stops the dust.
No scratches and the material is heavy enough to protect from the occasional flying and bouncing bolt or nut.
Fine dust particles go right through most covers or the material starts breaking down in a couple of years and it looks like dust all over the car, been there...done that.
I have a Dustop cover for the Vista now too, they've changed the material color from brown to grey since I got the one for the goat.
It fits nice, even has the bump-ups for the Vista windows and roof rack sewn in.
The cover is big, I think they sent the pattern to Arabia and had Omar the Tentmaker do it.
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Cutlass Lover

x3 on the Dustop cover. Highly recommended to me by Bluevista last year. I love it! Nice and soft inside against her paint. It cost around $250 but is worth it. Cheaper than that battery I just got, lol!
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM

I went to the Mecum auction this weekend in St Charles IL and found a car cover from a company called The Canvas Shoppe (www.micarcovers.com) It was just what I was looking for. Very light canvas type material on the outside and soft flannel on the inside. It cost $200 shipped. What I really liked was they make their covers custom to fit specific makes and models of cars. Nice people to deal with and knew a lot about their product.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:14 AM

on carcoversdirect site they are still offering it in Tan.
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM

I have a evolution 3 car cover in a gray color that I have used on vehicles for years. It works good. Keeps out dust and foul weather including blowing snow. I may consider one at The Canvas Shoppe or a Dustop to custom fit the 68.

BTW... I can't emphasize enough how great everyone has been with their advice on this site!

Moses
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM

I can't vouch for the other site but I like calling somewhere and getting a person. At carcoversdirect they answer the phone right away.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM

200 hundred for the basic one or 200 hundred for the better ones? Just asking because I see 179 and 229
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM

I would say it depends on what the objective for the car cover is, indoor best one is dustop. Go with a custom fit. I tried a ready fit first and it is too baggy. Custom is made for your car.
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM

I am leaning toward a Dustop, since car is and will continue to sit in garage. For decades, I always wanted to get the cover with the flannel lining on inside and weatherproof (rain, snow, sap, bird droppings, etc couldn't penetrate material) on outside. I don't know who makes that let alone the exorbitant price that baby carries!

-----------------
Moses
68 Cutlass Supreme
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:30 AM

You will enjoy that cover.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM

The cover I got was $229 but they give a 10% discount which brought the price down to around $200. Free shipping too. Dont know why they dont just say its $200. Guess we all like to hear the word discount.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM

I will check more on Dustop. Has anyone heard of carjacket? www.carbag.com

Thank you
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Moment Member

I once owned a speed shop. We had a lot of car covers to keep the dust off of stuff we weren't working on at the time. I never saw the need to invest in a cover with flannel and such because my cars are always stored indoors. So for me I have 3 or 4 el cheapo dust covers at about 30 bucks a pop. I wash the car when I pull it out in the spring so a little dust doesn't bother me. I guess what I'm getting at is, do you really need to spend that much?
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:29 PM

No I do not need to spend that much on a car cover, let alone have the money for it. I have a gray evolution 3 that I bought years ago and have used on many cars. I used this cover outside and in. When used outside, it covered a car for two straight weeks. Once I pulled cover off I noticed areas of cobwebs and albino colored spiders coming to life here and there. There was also forms of condensation here and there. From that point on I used this cover for indoor use. Before that I had an evolution 2 (tan color I think), which was great! But I sold that with the car, a '63 Impala SS. I had a simple plain cotton cover that I used while car was parked in garage, I liked that one too, but also sold it. I gotta quite selling this stuff and keep it! For now, since money is tight and since '68 stays in garage, the evolution 3 works fine. At some point I'll get a cotton cover although that flannel cover sounds enticing! Thanks for your advice and reminding me of the "simpler life".

Nice '68 by the way! How long have you had it? What is history on it? Any more pics? I'm not writing a book, I just like how it looks! Super camera angle too!
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Mine is an Evolution 3 or 4 that I got from Canadian Tire for about $75 last year.

DSC_4923.jpg

DSC_4924.jpg
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM

wow, NASCAR sure is migrating farther north than I thought.
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM

Way north!

Nice lookin covers!