'71 Cutlass Supreme wheels

Old June 5th, 2010, 02:28 AM

Cool '71 Cutlass Supreme wheels

Hello Guys,

I am new to this forum, but i have a lot of questions . I have a '71 Cutlass Supreme, and i would like to put chrom wheels under it.
I need 15" wheels, with ~235 wide tyres front, and ~265 at the back. Do you have any experience what is the allowed width and "offset" for the rims, and how wide tyres can you fit properly? I have tried one set before (you can see on the picture), but sometimes the tyre was reaching the body (maybe too small offset?), so i removed it.
I am thinking to buy these wheels:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-772-5861/

Thanks a lot
Balage
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by balage
Hello Guys,

I am new to this forum, but i have a lot of questions . I have a '71 Cutlass Supreme, and i would like to put chrom wheels under it.
I need 15" wheels, with ~235 wide tyres front, and ~265 at the back. Do you have any experience what is the allowed width and "offset" for the rims, and how wide tyres can you fit properly? I have tried one set before (you can see on the picture), but sometimes the tyre was reaching the body (maybe too small offset?), so i removed it.
I am thinking to buy these wheels:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-772-5861/

Thanks a lot
Balage
The 235 fronts and 265 backs will fit nicely. You want wheels with near zero offset, so an 8" wide wheel should have about 3.75" to 4" of backspacing. The wheels in the link you posted should fit fine.
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 235 fronts and 265 backs will fit nicely. You want wheels with near zero offset, so an 8" wide wheel should have about 3.75" to 4" of backspacing. The wheels in the link you posted should fit fine.
That is good, thanks. The only thing i don't understand is, why do i need backspacing?
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by balage
That is good, thanks. The only thing i don't understand is, why do i need backspacing?
Backspacing is the term used for the measurement from the inner rim of the wheel to the backside of the wheel mounting surface. ALL wheels have backspacing. If the offset (defined as the distance that the wheel mounting surface is offset from the centerline of the rim) is zero, then the backspacing should be about half of the width of the wheel. In other words, for an 8" wide wheel, with zero offset, backspacing is 4". If the wheel mounting surface was offset 0.25" inboard, then backspacing would be 3.75" These are just two different ways of measuring the same thing.
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Backspacing is the term used for the measurement from the inner rim of the wheel to the backside of the wheel mounting surface. ALL wheels have backspacing. If the offset (defined as the distance that the wheel mounting surface is offset from the centerline of the rim) is zero, then the backspacing should be about half of the width of the wheel. In other words, for an 8" wide wheel, with zero offset, backspacing is 4". If the wheel mounting surface was offset 0.25" inboard, then backspacing would be 3.75" These are just two different ways of measuring the same thing.
I see now, thanks!