Looking for some detailed photos of an "original style" '65 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:19 AM

Looking for some detailed photos of an "original style" '65 Cutlass

Hi -

The short of it is my '65 Cutlass Convertible is going under the knife to replace a badly rusted out frame. While it's apart I'm going to have a new floor pan welded in, rust repaired on the body and a full paint job done. The majority of the car is in "ok" shape, no rips in the seats, motor runs well, new suspension setup, so I'm not really doing a full nut and bolt resto. What I do want to do however is reverse some of the wrongly done details on the car. Little things like how the grey paint is on the front grill, are the indents in the "OLDSMOBILE" letters supposed to be black, etc. Can anyone help me with the specific details I'm looking for (pictures or otherwise)?

1. Front rocket symbol - how is it painted? Red background? Red flame from the rocket?
2. Front grill - I know part of it was painted grey from the factory but not sure what exactly. Also the ridges in the letters, is there paint in there? Same grey or black?
3. Headlight trim - painted the same grey as parts of the grill?
4. Center console and dashboard - the area in question is ribbed (for lack of better word), the high areas look chrome, are the low areas painted grey?
5. Rear valence and trunk - the OLDSMOBILE letters, same question, filled recessed area with paint? And again the rocket logo on the back valence, how is that painted?

I'm not looking for the car to be perfect but some of these design elements tie with each other and I want to be sure to be consistent.

Here's a recent pic of the car in question:

-S
Old October 28th, 2018, 03:33 PM

Very nice car! I am trying to upload two pictures but can't seem to get them to appear in this reply.They are uploaded to my album, but not sure if that helps. One picture is from a 1965 Oldsmobile sales brochure, but it is hard to see the details. Also it's a Canadian brochure, not sure if that makes any difference. The other picture is of my 65, convert. I think the grill is original and unrestored.
These are my observations:
1. red background and flame
2. a medium grey behind the letters on the bar, but know paint in the letters
3.headlight bezels are chrome
4.yes
5.Rocket emblem is same as front, as are the letters.
Hope this helps
Old October 29th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Look at 442bro.com that's a 65 site with all info. needed.
Gerald
Old October 30th, 2018, 10:51 PM

good place to start at is ultrahighcompression.com, good site for 64 65 cutli and 442