Headers

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2018, 09:00 PM

Headers

I plan on putting headers on my 68 Cutlass 350 and reading and hearing different opinions on not only brands but full length compared to mid length. I’m hearing horror story of guys having to cut motor mounts, modify the headers, etc.... I really don’t want to go through all that. Any suggestions on a good header that bolts up without any major modifications???
Old July 8th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Administrator

The only header that makes a marked improvement over manifolds are long tube. Yes, the installation is a bit more challenging but in my opine worth it of going that route. Shorties and aftermarket manifolds look pretty but provide a minimal gain.
Old July 8th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The only header that makes a marked improvement over manifolds are long tube. Yes, the installation is a bit more challenging but in my opine worth it of going that route. Shorties and aftermarket manifolds look pretty but provide a minimal gain.

X2. If you want headers, get real headers. If you don't want to put up with the hassle, stick with manifolds. Personally I run headers on my performance vehicles. Also, pay the money and buy the best ones you can. Most of the horror stories come from people with the cheapest headers.

I've never had to cut anything, and I've always used a full size starter with headers. The only mods have been moving the brake block and sometimes modifying the shifter/backdrive linkage. Both have been spelled out in the header instructions.
Old July 8th, 2018, 07:24 AM

Headers

Thanks guys!!!!!
completely makes sense.
Old July 8th, 2018, 09:21 AM

On both my 70 Supreme 350 and 71 convertible 350 I installed Heddman Headers. They went on without a lot of work (I had to slightly flatten an area of one tube on the drivers side for lower control arm clearance). They have been reliable (no gasket blowouts, etc) since around 1990. I use the full size factory starter as Joe said, but I didn't need to relocate the brake block or do anything with the shifter linkage.

I should point out that these are headers from 1990 and I can't confirm that the current versions are the same as what I have.