'67 Cutty has a twanged hood hinge!

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2018, 08:36 PM

'67 Cutty has a twanged hood hinge!

Hello subject matter experts! okay, shade tree-experts welcome as well,

Seems as spring road testing the ol' OLD's making sure all was tight and right, I was zipping down a road and punched it (part of testing) where to my shock the hood flew up. I knew it was on the safety catch when I took off, hmm so much for that I was the idiot here. Reacting of course I applied the brake and yes, physics says the hood will now open even faster when braking. Doh!

So, I couldn't close the hood properly after the deal and have discovered one of the hinges has a tweak to it. I have looked for a replacement with little luck except generic sets or OPG lists them $140 a set. Looking for any suggestions as the OPG units do not include springs. Are the springs a trick to move over? Can you do it with a vise and clamping pliers? I have spotted the Billet generics which have different spring weights available but I can't see $300 for hinges and plated springs I then need to fabricate to mount. They are groovy though.

I just need one, geeze in the day you could snag one at the "bone yard" for $10 bucks. That was sweet.
Old May 5th, 2018, 08:44 PM

You should re-post in the parts wanted section. There are parts suppliers in your area.
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:04 AM
Administrator

X2 on putting together a parts wanted ad. I bought a pair from Yearone years ago and they worked great. I just transferred the old springs to the new hinges using a jack handle and channel locks. Current price on Yearone is $111.98 for the pair + frt unless you meet heir shipping minimum.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964...-442/xj964lhrh
Old May 6th, 2018, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the tips and answering the spring "how-to" get it moved over without incident. I spotted the cheap seats flavor made by Goodmark. Can't find reviews on Goodmark replacement parts but they included the spring on the assy. for $32.00 (Rock Auto) plus shipping a side. Another - you get what you pay for surprise I'm certain. If Goodmark makes decent parts, they may be the deal but I'll sure post in the "parts wanted section.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; May 6th, 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:12 PM

get a bunch of large washers and while the hinges have the springs extended, pack them with washers between the coils. Then move the hood so the springs come off their mounts on the hinges. You can run heavy wire through the center of the spring/washers so the washers can't come out while doing this.
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:53 PM

Nice! I have issues with pull springs unloading at an amazing rate. Of course never prepared that the bugger will become a projectile! Washers shims and what-nots to stuff 'erm up first. Sweet.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; May 6th, 2018 at 05:55 PM.