Car Chokes Off at Idle

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2017, 09:16 AM

Car Chokes Off at Idle

So my 1972 Cutlass chokes of at idle when I get off the gas regardless if the car is warm or not. I tried turning the idle up slightly but it still continues to choke off when at idle and I’m not giving it has. What things should I check to correct this?
Old October 11th, 2017, 06:26 PM

Just to clarify, when you say choke off, do you mean the engine stalls? Could be a vacuum leak. Turning up the idle won't help if it's a big leak. Are the carb mounting bolts tight? Check for open vacuum lines. Good luck
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Oldsdruid

How long since carb has been torn down, cleaned and overhauled? This rotten-*** gas doesn't help things and if gas in your area is sourced from the Greensboro tank farm it's rotgut.
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:26 PM

I’ve never torn it down but that’s going to be my next step. It has been running fine and now it just started this problem all of a sudden.
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Oldsdruid

NAPA may have the kit and float in stock. They even had a brass float for my buddy's 77 LeSabre Estate Wagon. If not Advance, AutoZone or any of them should be able to get you a carb kit and float next day. Get the numbers off back left side of the carb and use them to order the kit.

You have a 72 shop manual? It will take you thru the whole teardown and reassembly process.

You still with Uncle Sam? Base shop may have cold immersion carb and parts cleaner. Compressed air to clean out all the passages is a must too.

Good luck young'un.
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:42 PM

Make sure when your choke is off, the choke flap is fully open. If not, it will cause stumble and die at idle.
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Is the carb a correct 72 and does it have the original choke assembly? The original has hot air tubes that come out of the intake and into and out of the choke coil. One side connects to the rear of the carb and the vacuum pulls hot air into and through the choke coil. If the tubes are clogged or broken or the seals shot, the choke will not work. A lot of guys junk that choke and use an electric. But if the carb is properly rebuilt and the choke tubes properly serviced, it works just fine. My 72 choke has worked perfectly since I fixed it over 11 years ago. I would buy a rebuild kit from Cliff at www.cliffshighperformance.com. Some parts store kits are junk. Cliffs are quality, impervious to the lousy gas and you can get all the parts you need for you particular issue.

Last edited by brown7373; October 16th, 2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: spell