71 Cutlass SX with no emblems??

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:21 PM

71 Cutlass SX with no emblems??

So I thought I would post this as a separate thread. I apologize in advance if this is not appropriate but I'm stuck on this.

So I seem to be wrestling with the fact that the window sticker indicates that the Y79 performance package was purchased. However there are no SX emblems anywhere on the car. I know that the car was never repainted or in an accident. The car was always meant to be a sleeper.

Is it possible that the factory would have omitted the emblems at the customers request? Not even sure if that could realistically have been done.

Trying to reconcile this small but meaningful difference. Wasn't there also a Cutlass SX emblem on the dash as well? It only says Cutlass Supreme

Thanks for your thoughts
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:49 PM

There were no emblems on the dash, only on the fenders. I've never heard of badge delete fenders though. Perhaps the fenders were very tastefully replaced long,long ago? Look for fender reinforcement brackets, w/z manifolds with true dual exhaust, cutout rear bumper. What paperwork documents the car, reproduction window sticker sheets are available. Does the stamping on the block coincide with the vin?
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:59 PM

Can you get us some pictures under the hood that show where the hood meets the fenders & also some shots of the whole car, that would help us help you.
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Can you get us some pictures under the hood that show where the hood meets the fenders & also some shots of the whole car, that would help us help you.
Will do. Thanks
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:32 PM

Watching this thread. May jump in once more info and pics are posted.
Terry
Old February 5th, 2017, 10:51 AM

She Breathes!!

So today was the day that the 71 saw light for the first time in over 30 years. It was a lot of fun opening the hood, blowing up the tires, and seeing her roll for the first time since I was 6 years old.

Upon closer inspection, it seems that the original owner removed all the badges from the outside of the car. I believe its a cutlass supreme that was then customized through available manufacturer options, to be an SX/442. what do you think?

Im very curious as to what you all think. Here are the pictures. We even threw a battery pack on it and watched her light up in the front, under the hood, and inside the cabin. Very cool!

mounting holes where the front badge would've been mounted
Old February 5th, 2017, 10:57 AM

Windows Sticker and POP

Reposting to this thread the window sticker and Plate

Y79 Performance package included. The original owner paid more for this setup then I think a 442 would've cost....

Old February 5th, 2017, 11:20 AM

That window sticker has way too much patina to be fabricated... I would verify the stamping on the block against the vin number and if they match, I'd call it a factory issued car. Also, was unaware that this car was a convertible, so disregard the fender brackets previously mentioned.
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Sorry, forgot to post the cowl tag. what does all that mean !!!

Old February 5th, 2017, 11:43 AM

St 1971, 3 Oldsmobile 42 Cutlass Supreme 67 Convertible, LANsing assembly plant, 326477th car off the assembly line for 1971. 977 Black bucket seats(I think), 75 Matador red paint, A white top, 03B-B is 2nd week of March 03.
It looks like it has 350 exhaust manifolds, or at least on the driver side. Right near the number 1 spark plug(driver side front of head), there will be a large letter or number. Clean off all the grease/grime & get a picture of it? Hard to tell from the pix but it might have '70 fenders on it. Take a picture of the inside of the fender ridge where the small rubber hood bumpers are. The car might have been repainted early in life?
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:56 AM

St 1971, 3 Oldsmobile 42 Cutlass Supreme 67 Convertible, LANsing assembly plant, 326477th car off the assembly line for 1971. 977 Black bucket seats(I think), 75 Matador red paint, A white top, 03B-B is 2nd week of March 03.
It looks like it has 350 exhaust manifolds, or at least on the driver side. Right near the number 1 spark plug(driver side front of head), there will be a large letter or number. Clean off all the grease/grime & get a picture of it? Hard to tell from the pix but it might have '70 fenders on it. Take a picture of the inside of the fender ridge where the small rubber hood bumpers are. The car might have been repainted early in life?
Thanks for the info. Im pretty sure from another thread that the TR 977 is white trim (I hope so).

I will get a picture of the numbers you mentioned. I was going to get a picture of those but didn't

thanks again!
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:58 AM

Yes I was looking at the black Dash and typed black instead of white for the seat.
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Great color combo and SSIs - sweet car. Window sticker sure looks legit. The front grille emblem would have been "Cutlass Supreme" script whether It was an SX or not. VIN stamp from the block would seal the deal...
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by vette442
Great color combo and SSIs - sweet car. Window sticker sure looks legit. The front grille emblem would have been "Cutlass Supreme" script whether It was an SX or not. VIN stamp from the block would seal the deal...
Thanks

Where on the block would the stamping be? can I get to it from up top?

I have to go back and get a pic of the manifolds so I can get the block pic as well

thanks for all the great information
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:36 PM

in another thread, someone stated that the "'70 fenders" were used until April '71 at Lansing
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by papami
Thanks

Where on the block would the stamping be? can I get to it from up top?

I have to go back and get a pic of the manifolds so I can get the block pic as well

thanks for all the great information
http://www.highoctaneauto.com/newpage66.htm

Scroll down to the diagram at the bottom of my web page - it shows the VIN location.

Terry
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:39 PM

& looks like at least a couple of all chrome 14x7.0" SSIs in the trunk, what's the dates on them & what time frame during 1971 production were they used?
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:58 PM

I was down stairs when your reply came through. I don't think I can see the location you mentioned as it looks like there is an accessory in the way. these are the numbers I could grab off the block and manifold

Old February 5th, 2017, 01:01 PM

Whoever ordered the car knew what they were doing, nice options, even the expensive AM-FM stereo radio. One of 357 built that model year.
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:05 PM

WHEELS, SUPER STOCK IV wouldn't these be SSIs or did something change for '71?
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
WHEELS, SUPER STOCK IV wouldn't these be SSIs or did something change for '71?
I was told by another member that this is a typo??

SSIV were not compatible with A-Frame. Interesting the cost on the window sticker coincides exactly with SSI's from that year

Not sure how rare a window sticker error is but....
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:20 PM

I also read that the the engine block number of 396021F is the block used for the SX in 71

now I just have to make sure (which I'm 99.999%) that the vin matches from the block. Im not worried about that!
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

I was told by another member that this is a typo??

SSIV were not compatible with A-Frame. Interesting the cost on the window sticker coincides exactly with SSI's from that year

Not sure how rare a window sticker error is but....
That would have been me. We had this discussion last week.
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That would have been me. We had this discussion last week.
in person or on-line? link? Is it SSIV on all or a significant number of '71s?
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

in person or on-line? link? Is it SSIV on all or a significant number of '71s?
I don't understand your question. The only SSIV wheel offered by Olds was on the 1971-72 Delta 88s and only came in a 5x5" bolt pattern. Here's the thread from last week. Go to post #23 and note that the only styled wheels offered on the 1971 Supreme (or any A-body that year) were PO5 SSI, N66 SSII, and N67 SSIII. Obviously this car has the SSI wheels and the window sticker has a typo.
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Just to refresh everyone's memory, this is what SSIV wheels look like.

Old February 5th, 2017, 03:04 PM

Did they paint the trunk lock mechanism from the factory. This one looks painted.
Old February 5th, 2017, 04:28 PM

The cowl tag has some red paint and black so maybe it was repainted and cowl tag was sprayed black after. Would explain the SX missing if it was recked repaired and repainted. If the VIN numbers all match and the window sticker is legit just add the SX while restoring and move on as an SX.
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:30 PM

The car has definitely been at least partially repainted once. All the OLDSMOBILE letters are gone from the decklid with holes filled, and the decklid stainless is missing.

To see the VIN on the block, stick your camera behind that accessory bracket with the flash on and take about a dozen pictures from slightly different angles. You'll almost certainly get one picture with legible numbers unless goop and grime needs to removed. A can of brake cleaner will take care of that if needed.

Love your car.

Terry

Last edited by vette442; February 5th, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by vette442
The car has definitely been at least partially repainted once. All the Oldsmobile letters are gone from the decklid. To see the VIN on the block, stick your camera behind that accessory bracket with the flash on and take about a dozen pictures from slightly different angles. You'll almost certainly get one picture with legible numbers unless goop and grime needs to removed. A can of brake cleaner will take care of that if needed.

Terry

terry

i agree the decklid was painted. The original owner only had the car for 3 years before he sold it to my dad. I don't believe the car was wrecked in any way. The working assumption on our end was that the original owner removed all the emblems including the fender and front grill emblems and then had the car painted in those spots

i can say without question that any modifications to the car came in the first 3 years of its life as after that it belonged to us.

my next step is to find the block vin and even trying to see if I can track down the original owner

stay tuned
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
The cowl tag has some red paint and black so maybe it was repainted and cowl tag was sprayed black after. Would explain the SX missing if it was recked repaired and repainted. If the VIN numbers all match and the window sticker is legit just add the SX while restoring and move on as an SX.

i think the black you are seeing is grease and grime. Going to see if I can clean it tomorrow
Old February 5th, 2017, 07:56 PM

Nice car and well optioned. Many of the SX cars were ordered without the FE-2 suspension. Always thought it odd that the SX did not have the handling package standard.

Could the SS-IV on the A-body be the designation for the temporary all chrome (non-trim ring) SS-1 rim?
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:56 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

with 1971 357 rag top sx production number; and wt the docs u have i would go straight to the TH400 trans and verify the vin derivative. OD ___--
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:08 PM
1971 442 conv

I've owned 2 1971 SXs conv. Both had 2:56 R3 anti spin rearends. Great for highway driving. I'm curious what code is stamped on your axle?
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Nice car and well optioned. Many of the SX cars were ordered without the FE-2 suspension. Always thought it odd that the SX did not have the handling package standard.

Could the SS-IV on the A-body be the designation for the temporary all chrome (non-trim ring) SS-1 rim?
I guess this is what I was "beating-around-the-bush" asking about above

what are the dates of these "typos" VS. when did the all chrome 14x7.0"s show up?
Old February 6th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

I guess this is what I was "beating-around-the-bush" asking about above

what are the dates of these "typos" VS. when did the all chrome 14x7.0"s show up?
The all chrome wheels were first used on the 1983 H/O. Again, there was NO SSIV option for the A-body cars ever.
Old February 9th, 2017, 07:18 AM

What a cool car! Love those old NY tags!
Old February 9th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

my next step is to find the block vin...
So...?

Find the VIN derivative on the engine here:

Find the VIN derivative on the transmission here (TH400):

Or here (TH350):

And the transmission code here:

(Thanks to John for the photos).

We're waiting.

- Eric