73-77 Olds guys, how many here?

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2018, 03:29 PM

never did add my 76 to this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1ddf.jpeg (1.52 MB, 21 views)
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for finally posting a picture Jeff !! We have been waiting a while to see it here .

Eric
Old September 11th, 2018, 04:04 PM

i wish i had a better camera for some good pics .i posted a video in my (1976 455 upgrades)thread in the big block section you might enjoy!
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the props Eric and Jeff! It's far from perfection, but it's nice to finally have it back together. My phone camera skills leave a lot to be desired....lol. You ALL have some nice looking Rides!
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ostalbbulli
My Olds Cutlass Saloon: 350 Rocket, 4BBL, Automatic, Cragar Weehls, Anti Spin Axle and much more. The Vinyl Roof was removed because of Rust. First approval in Switzerland:

Robert
Robert, nice looking car. It looks a lot like my first car (1979) except mine was a '74 4dr Salon in the same color green. Mine had a green gut as well with those fat cloth recliners, loved those seats! My ancestry is from Switzerland, last name is Ragatz. They added the T when Martin and Leonard arrived in the US in the 1800's. A trip to Switzerland has been on my bucket list for years. I could spend weeks checking out all the posts on this site, wish I had the time.

Last edited by ragz442; September 11th, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old September 25th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Pat

Talking "1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Colonnade Hardtop Coupe"...

1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Colonnade Hardtop Coupe. Color is Chamois Gold. All of the Paint is Original except for the hood, it is the only thing that has been re-sprayed and it was done off of the car. I got this car back in June of this year from the original family owners estate sale, he worked as a mechanic here in Danville, VA. at our local Swanson Motors Inc. Oldsmobile / Cadillac Dealership for 48 years. The cars Factory Options are: A/C, P/B, P/S, 350 Rocket - 4bbl., TH350, Dual Exhaust, Cruise, AM/FM 8-Track, 4-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel, Full A/T Console with Bucket Seats, Factory GM Floor Mats, Power Driver Side Mirror, Etc. 46,560 Original Actual Miles. I received All of the Original Paperwork for the car and then some including two Swanson Danville Oldsmobile Cadillac License Plate Frames.

Old September 25th, 2018, 07:20 PM

1973 delta 88

Yep Evil Dead fan here . Currently restoring my 73 delta to look as close as possible to the one in Sam Raimi's movies . Right now it has a 350 engine but intending to put a 455 in at some point . Recently had head gasket put in and supposedly cleaned out but less than a hundred miles later got a lifter tick on passenger side . Shop had it for 4 months ! Why do all classic car repair places move so slow ?
Ordered a bumper in july rechromed and called shop they said should be ready in two weeks ... this was late august . Very annoyed how slow classic car world moves , as for the things I am enjoying the things I can do myself and working the make the vehicle better than ever but looking as close to showroom quality as possible . It is a years long process but hoping to get it ready enough for a 3000 mile road trip in a years time .

despite my gripes love the project just not some of the less enthusiastic people who are reluctant to take my money lol . Look forward to chatting with you guys
Old September 26th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

Nice low mileage 73 Pat ! Looks really clean , still has some shine to it being original paint all but the hood. Paper work is nice to have as well.
I think the Tiger Paws would have looked better on the rally rims instead of the wire wheel covers thought.
Nice find !

Eric
Old September 26th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by gcaplan
Yep Evil Dead fan here . Currently restoring my 73 delta to look as close as possible to the one in Sam Raimi's movies . Right now it has a 350 engine but intending to put a 455 in at some point . Recently had head gasket put in and supposedly cleaned out but less than a hundred miles later got a lifter tick on passenger side . Shop had it for 4 months ! Why do all classic car repair places move so slow ?
Ordered a bumper in july rechromed and called shop they said should be ready in two weeks ... this was late august . Very annoyed how slow classic car world moves , as for the things I am enjoying the things I can do myself and working the make the vehicle better than ever but looking as close to showroom quality as possible . It is a years long process but hoping to get it ready enough for a 3000 mile road trip in a years time .

despite my gripes love the project just not some of the less enthusiastic people who are reluctant to take my money lol . Look forward to chatting with you guys
Classic car places are normally very busy.. Rusty bolts take time to get out haha. Same as a bumper re-chrome.Takes time to strip, smooth out the dings, dip , and re-dip.
Are you sure the tick is a lifter and not the exhaust manifold gasket ?
You will be down on compression a bit with the new head gaskets sooo.... that 455 will wake it up big time .
Many guys here with restoration/mechanical exp. If you have any questions or parts needed, I'm sure you will find them all here!
We all like pic's , post a few when you get a chance!

Eric
Old September 26th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Pat

Thanks Eric! The original owners family took off some G78-14 Bias-Ply White Wall Tires and put on these used dry-rotted Uniroyal Tire Paw GTS Raised White Letter Tires. I re-done these 14x7 SSII's after I got the car and put these new Hankook White Walls on them to give the car an original look.

Thanks for starting this 73-77 Oldsmobile Cutlass Thread, I have been trying to register on the 73-77 Olds Cutlass Forum for a while now but have had no luck. Todd / Ragz442 tried to help me but we have had not response as of yet.
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:55 AM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

'73 d88

Although not an A body, it's mine and it's paid for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1210_16-02-14_zps2e285209.jpg (120.1 KB, 11 views)
P1753_15-10-14_zpsa8c1f224.jpg (109.6 KB, 19 views)
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Hookers under Hood

For those in the snow belt area's of the world . Anyone have plans for their 73-77 Olds over the cold winter months ?
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Snowed here several times this month already .going to cover the 76 and but her to bed . Working on a 455 in the garage to put in my 80 this spring . Gotta find stuff to do when winter sets in for 5 months or you go stir crazy
Old November 30th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Hookers under Hood

We are plenty blanketed up here as well. We put our 76 away mid October. Had a really early fall set in here, just too cool and wet to keep the car out after our Thanksgiving weekend.
I still need to move my battery to the trunk with the new Moroso battery cables, mount the Taylor box up beside the spare tire then install the line lock, for spring. I managed to drill the holes and put the rear sway bar in but that's as far as I got in the past month and a half.
The 455 sounds like it will be a ton of fun in your 80'

Eric
Old November 30th, 2018, 10:55 PM

Finally had a time to get my block from machinery.
Hopefully 3 days work anymore, and then its 3-4 months winter vacation ahead, so i have all the time in the world.
Going to build my engine ready, install it along the trans, and long story really short, fire it up next spring after 2 years hibernation.

No real power expectations, everything over 300 is plus, since im not building for max power, rather for fun driver with something behind the pedal..

Last edited by Inline; November 30th, 2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old December 1st, 2018, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by texxas
Every one here has welcomed you in this thread. What's the problem? I don't understand.
And I fully realize that you do not understand, and I understand why you do not understand. But all I will say is that a particular person (and I GUARANTEE everyone on this forum would recognize the person----------------shall be unnamed ) has chosen to to ridicule and criticize my comments. I don't need that.

Last edited by DZAUTO; December 1st, 2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 10:25 AM

Back to topic about towing hitches to our 73-77 A-body.
I finally can say, that Curt #12009 hitch is our best bet. Its close to fit already, some minor fitment issues, which you can find if you read back some posts. I did cut all the parts out of the horizontal bar, junked it, and bought new bar to attach the parts. Then it was just a matter of gluing all together. It even looks like the original part where it started its life.

Old January 28th, 2019, 01:18 PM

Hurst Dual Gate shifter

Ok i need help!!! Putting my 77 Cutlass Salon back together and decided to buy a dual gate shifter from the parts place ( first mistake). Has anyone attempted this? I had o modify the shifter to fit into the car and also modify the center console everything fits pretty good looks stock but I can’t get it to shift. I tried a new cable that didn’t work. Tranny is new out of the crate and it shifts fine. Anyone with some input
Old January 28th, 2019, 02:44 PM

I special ordered my 76 FACTORY 5sp "S" and took delivery in the Spring of 76.
The 5sp was ONLY available with a V6 or the small V8.
Today it has a "built" W30 spec 455 (468), and a Richmond 5sp has replaced the weak factory 5sp (I went through 3 of them before installing the Richmond).

Old January 28th, 2019, 05:15 PM

Chuck, might want to start a new thread for this. You stated can't get it to shift. Could you be more specific and give some additional details? Will it shift at all, to any gear or park?
Old January 28th, 2019, 05:53 PM

Hurst Dual Gate

the trans shifts with no problem when the cable isn’t attached. When I attach the cable it won’t move into any gear with the shifter
Old January 28th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hey Chuck, can you post a pic of the install? How you had to modify the shifter and console? That would help. Also as rickman mentioned start another thread so it gets more attention. Try to add the pics, that will help us out. Was your car a column shift initially ?

Eric
Old January 29th, 2019, 03:24 AM

DZ, your '76 S is sharp, always loved that color on this body style. It's got to be a blast with the built BB and stout 5 spd. Chuck, not sure about the Parts Place dual gate shifter, but the original used a 73-75 specific bracket to fit the console, you need the correct length cable as well.
Old January 29th, 2019, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ragz442
DZ, your '76 S is sharp, always loved that color on this body style. It's got to be a blast with the built BB and stout 5 spd. Chuck, not sure about the Parts Place dual gate shifter, but the original used a 73-75 specific bracket to fit the console, you need the correct length cable as well.
When I built the 455, I wanted to install an OLDS 455 emblem. I never could find one. So I went to my local Chevy parts dept and ordered individual 4s and 5s which were installed on the hoods of 70-74 Corvettes with the 454 engine. It just kind of seemed to be a natural addition.
Although, funny thing, I've had people make comments about my 442. I tell them it is NOT a 442, it is a Cutlass S and then they ask why does it say 442. Then I have them take a closer look at the numbers. Then they get it.
Old January 29th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
When I built the 455, I wanted to install an OLDS 455 emblem. I never could find one. So I went to my local Chevy parts dept and ordered individual 4s and 5s which were installed on the hoods of 70-74 Corvettes with the 454 engine. It just kind of seemed to be a natural addition.
Although, funny thing, I've had people make comments about my 442. I tell them it is NOT a 442, it is a Cutlass S and then they ask why does it say 442. Then I have them take a closer look at the numbers. Then they get it.
I don't know how I missed the pics you added when I posted in this thread yesterday ?? Dam that engine looks hot Tom, I'm liking the 455 addition, that will get just about "everyone's" attention sitting next to you at a light haha. The 5 speed with end any thoughts of playin' around at the next one. You can be sure they will make a hard left or right to ease the embarrassment.
I bet she'll pull some hard getting up through them gears.
Its going to be hard to keep rubber on the back of that beast.
Enjoy it buddy, its looks mint.

Eric

Old January 30th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I don't know how I missed the pics you added when I posted in this thread yesterday ?? Dam that engine looks hot Tom, I'm liking the 455 addition, that will get just about "everyone's" attention sitting next to you at a light haha. The 5 speed with end any thoughts of playin' around at the next one. You can be sure they will make a hard left or right to ease the embarrassment.
I bet she'll pull some hard getting up through them gears.
Its going to be hard to keep rubber on the back of that beast.
Enjoy it buddy, its looks mint.

Eric
MOST (but not everything) is exactly as it was when I ordered it new in 76.

These are a few pictures of the build.

I paint ALLLLLLLLLLL my engines inside and out, before assembly, I install an old cam/lifters to protect the bores. When painted, I use lacquer thinner and a rag to wipe off surfaces and cylinder bores.

The studs in the front of the block are cut to the needed length from stainless steel all-thread for the front cover/water pump. I've done this on other engines in the past. After many years and miles, sometimes the water pump bolts become badly rusted seized in the block. Stainless steel fasteners eliminates this.

It's a long story, but I did replace the headers with W30 manifolds

I also use stainless steel studs/nuts and thick stainless washers on the exhaust manifolds, as well as alternator, air cond brackets and thermostat housing, with anti-seize on the threads. On some of the studs, I use a Dremel Tool with a very thin cut off wheel and cut a slot into the end of the stud, so that I can use a screw driver to install/remove the stud.

This is my home made A-frame with a Harbor Freight special elec hoist. the A-frame is on casters, so I can roll it inside the garage or roll it out the back door (which I prefer in good weather).

The old engine coming out.

The new 468 installed.

Last edited by DZAUTO; January 30th, 2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old January 30th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for posting the pictures Tom,
Nice home made A frame, that's real nice work. I don't recall ever seeing the inside of the block painted. What got you thinking about painting it ?
Looks amazing !
I hope you hang around and continue to keep us updated on the fun your having with it.

Eric
Old January 30th, 2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Thanks for posting the pictures Tom,
Nice home made A frame, that's real nice work. I don't recall ever seeing the inside of the block painted. What got you thinking about painting it ?
Looks amazing !
I hope you hang around and continue to keep us updated on the fun your having with it.

Eric
MANY, MANY, MANY years ago, there was an article in HOTROD magazine about engine building (back in the days when HR did realistic coverage for the average Joe). Part of the article recommended painting an engine inside and outside, and then cleaning off overspray in bearing areas, cylinders, etc. When I built my first serious engine back in the 60s, I painted it inside and out. Been doing it ever since with ZERO issues over many years later. The supposed purpose (is it really true, I don't know) was to seal the pores of the cast surfaces, aide oil drain back and help keep the oil a little cleaner. Through the years, there have been different levels of negative criticism, claiming first one problem and then another, such as paint flaking off, getting sucked into the oil pump, clogging oil passages and damaging bearings, etc, etc. I've removed intake manifolds and heads and cranks on some of my engines and have NEVER seen a problem related to paint inside the engine. So I continue to do so.

MOST of my engines are Chevys, and here are a few examples.

This is a small block 400, I tore down about 20yrs after I had built it.

This is the left head removed (because of a pin hole leak) on another SB400 (in the 70 Chevelle) about 15yrs after it had been built. No paint has come off.

This is under the valve cover (20yrs later) of a SB400 I built for my 56 Corvette back in 98.

I participated here several years ago, and quit because of some unkind replies to my posts. Well, a couple of years ago, one of the members (Old Cutlass/moderator) here REALLY encouraged me to return. So, I did. Well, I'll be damned if one of the regulars here (NO names) didn't chastise me thoroughly for my comments. So I am really gun shy any more of this forum. I participate on some other (Chevy) forums and NEVER receive any criticisms.

Last edited by DZAUTO; January 30th, 2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old January 30th, 2019, 09:51 PM

Well, i assure that youre welcome. Atleast on this topic
Wow, am i sick or what, but first thing i noticed on that 56 Vette is towing hitch Thats cool!

Personally im waiting for my parts to come off from machinery. Then im up to dual-quad tuning nightmares.
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, am i sick or what, but first thing i noticed on that 56 Vette is towing hitch Thats cool!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old January 31st, 2019, 10:43 AM

Way too cool, especially the last picture. Thanks for sharing.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 04:14 PM

Chuck,

Use to be a guy selling repo brackets on eBay for our cars 73-77, can't find it now

68-72 cable will not work it is too short - I have tried

cable length for ours is 33"

i am currently using a longer universal cable worked well for years.

Larry

Last edited by first77; February 3rd, 2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Old March 27th, 2019, 02:20 AM

'74 CS,Original big block

58,000 original miles,currently doing a frame on resto. And enjoying it being a '73-'77 A body category.

Old March 27th, 2019, 04:03 AM

Looks nice! And welcome. Pontiac-style pipe-ends i see. Been wondering many times how would they look.
What technic?
Old March 27th, 2019, 04:07 AM

"What technic?"

What do you mean?
Old March 27th, 2019, 04:45 AM

Engine, trans?
Old March 27th, 2019, 04:51 AM

Big block

455 oldsmobile,and staying that way,400 turbo trans,2:73 one legger,soon to be changed to a 3:42 Eaton posi
Old March 27th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by savage'74
455 oldsmobile,and staying that way,400 turbo trans,2:73 one legger,soon to be changed to a 3:42 Eaton posi
Welcome to the group, Nice 74. Looks to be in really nice condition. Any engine pics to share? The 3:42 gears will really get you off the line much quicker.
Keep us posted with the changes .

Eric
Old March 28th, 2019, 08:12 PM

Pics

Quick Reply: 73-77 Olds guys, how many here?