Water...uuurgh

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Water...uuurgh

Morning- Everytime it rains I end up with a puddle on the drivers side
floor. I replaced the door frame and door weatherstripping but still seeing
water accumulate, not nearly as much. Anybody have any tricks to pin down the waters entry point?? Could the gap b/t my fender and door
be the issue?? Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1776.jpg (19.9 KB, 13 views)
100_1777.jpg (25.5 KB, 14 views)
100_1778.jpg (15.9 KB, 18 views)
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:44 AM

Get inside and have a bud hit it with a garden hose.
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I was looking for a much more difficult solution...I am embarrased I did not think of that....Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Past Administrator

I bet it is coming in from the inner front fender or firewall...
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a trick for checking how well the weather strip seals. Cut strips of newspaper and close the door with the strips between the weatherstrip and the metal door post. If you can easily pull the strip out with the door closed, the weatherstrip is not sealing tightly enough.

I hope this is your problem. Given my experience with pinchweld rust on the A-body cars, I fear that you may have a rust problem at the base of the windshield. You might want to pull the chrome piece at the base of the windshield and check.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM

True confession Time

Don't ask how I know this but, some vender screw up and send two lefts or two rights and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeer if ya put the left on a right it eeeeeeeeeeeeer doesn't work worth a hoot.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by tdubis
I was looking for a much more difficult solution...I am embarrased I did not think of that....Thanks!
That's Ok, If ya wanta get fancy call it a "Water Test" That's what we call it in the Shopping Center business.
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM

I will be administering H20 perimeter leakage check this weekend as well as some trim removal in search of rust...If I can sneak it in over Mothers Day weekend (AKA wifes weekend off)... I am pretty sure its the not weatherstrip, it seals quite tight. I actually thought it may be the incorrect stripping due to the size compared to what I removed. I figure
the old shrunk over the years or just the an aftermarket "one size fits all"
issue. Thanks again for the pointers
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Found it...

I found the water entry point at the base of the winshield...It appears at some point the previous owner hit something on the driverside pushing the fender back and causing a seperation....see pics. I believe it is localized and not a rust problem other than the damaged location. Any input on the best way to proceed. Can I simply patch the leak using PC-7 or JB Weld for a temporary fix?? It looks like there is filler chipping off around the crack, or is that supposed to be steel? Thanks!!
Attached Images
100_1890.JPG (69.1 KB, 40 views)
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:48 AM

This ~might~ need some welding - hopefully someone can advise on that.

If not, or after being welded, this area should be wirebrushed and cleaned well. The bottom windsheild trim should be removed first!
Yes, there was seam sealer there that most likely has come loose on its own (mine did). This will need to be stripped off and replaced, too.

After a good cleaning, use some POR15 PORpatch or PORputty and fill the seams (3M auto body seam sealer is okay, also). Then go over the whole area with POR15 semigloss black, just after the PORpatch or PORputty turns tacky.
This may be a good chance to do the whole cowl if it is needed. I did this to mine a while ago and it looks sweet...

If you need a VERY temporary repair, just use window caulking. It will be easy to remove when the real repair is made.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; May 26th, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tdubis
I found the water entry point at the base of the winshield...It appears at some point the previous owner hit something on the driverside pushing the fender back and causing a seperation....see pics. I believe it is localized and not a rust problem other than the damaged location. Any input on the best way to proceed. Can I simply patch the leak using PC-7 or JB Weld for a temporary fix?? It looks like there is filler chipping off around the crack, or is that supposed to be steel? Thanks!!
Pull the chrome strip at the base of the windshield and I suspect you will find the unfortunately common rust there. Welding is the only real solution. Filler just traps the water and accelerates the rust process, particularly if you don't first sandblast the area to remove all the rust before filling. The putty you see is factory seam sealer.