U Code question

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:31 AM

U Code question

Gentlemen,

A "U" in the VIN of a 1972 Cutlass Holiday Coupe signifies what exactly ? Looking for verification of what I have and maybe learn something new.

Thanks in advance.
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Blackpage
Gentlemen,A "U" in the VIN of a 1972 Cutlass Holiday Coupe signifies what exactly ? Looking for verification of what I have and maybe learn something new.
It indicates that the car has the 250 net hp L75 455 4 barrel with a TH400 transmission. That's all.

Terry
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
It indicates that the car has the 250 net hp L75 455 4 barrel with a TH400 transmission. That's all.

Terry
So if you ordered any Cutlass model in 1972 with a 455 & automatic tranny you would automatically get a U Code ?

If yes, why is it generally considered to be rare ?
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:11 PM

So if you ordered any Cutlass model in 1972 with a 455 & automatic tranny you would automatically get a U Code ?

If yes, why is it generally considered to be rare ?
because the insurance ***** were killing performance cars most Culass came with the 350.
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
because the insurance ***** were killing performance cars most Culass came with the 350.

I see. The package had to be ordered and wasn't readily available on the dealership's lots at the time so it made it rare. Correct ?
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:25 PM

In stock in 1972

I see. The package had to be ordered and wasn't readily available on the dealership's lots at the time so it made it rare. Correct ?
Some dealerships still ordered and had in inventory 455 powered cars but the vast majority of dealer stock was comprised of 350 powered cars.
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:41 PM

I might be wrong but I think if you ordered a 455 & automatic along with the W29 (442 appearance package) it came with a U code engine? I think the '72 W30 cars came with either a V code(auto) or X code(manual).
I have 2 U code cars right now. One is a 4 door Cutlass Supreme hardtop sedan, no post between the door glass. It was loaded up with the 455, th400, posi, AC, P. trunk, & several other nice options.
The other is a Supreme coupe, also with many nice options.
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:51 PM

U code was a 455 but nothing to do with the transmission. I know of a U code 72 supreme 4 speed car and I had a 72 U code automatic Supreme. Scott, All 72 W-30 was X code.
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:05 PM

Below from the highoctaneauto.com. The website of Vette442 above.

What’s a “V” Code?

by Greg Mross (last updated on 12/7/03)

In 1972, Oldsmobile used the 5th digit of the VIN to designate the engine used in the vehicle. In big block Cutlass applications, there were 3 codes, “U” for big block automatics, “V” for big block 4 speeds, and “X” for W-30’s. The following documents what made “V” codes different from other big blocks. Note that much of what is documented here also applies to W-30 4 speeds, but their VIN code does not designate what transmission was used.

Lets start with the obvious. All “V” code cars came with the L-75/M-20 4 speed combination. They also came with a 3.23 rear end (3.42 or 3.73 ratios were available only on W-30’s). Positraction was optional.

The engine was basically the same as those found in W-30 automatics and was rated at 270 HP, 20 HP more than automatics. The camshaft was the same as the W-30 automatics, and the Ga heads featured the larger 2.072 intake valves. There was also an oil deflector attached to the rear main bearing. The PCV valve was mounted to a fitting in the front of the intake manifold, not on the valve cover. Both valve covers (notched in the rear on all 455 Cutlasses) had air breathers that went to the air cleaner, like W-30’s with OAI. The air cleaner also has a larger inlet snorkel. The engine code decal on the oil filler tube is either UD or UE (w/ HD clutch). W-30’s are either UL or UN (w/ HD clutch). The Quadrajet carb had an anti-dieseling solenoid.

The transmission is a Muncie wide ratio M-20 with a fine spline input shaft. Really clean trannys should have a 1 inch high “WD” stenciled on the side. The last 8 digits of the VIN should be stamped on the transmission where the housings split apart. These cars originally had a complete backdrive linkage that went to the frame and then up to the steering column. This forced the transmission to be in reverse before the key could be removed from the ignition. This linkage was frequently removed and replaced with an aftermarket Hurst linkage. There was also a switch on the clutch pedal that would not allow the car to start unless the clutch pedal was depressed. The driveshaft tunnel was cut (apparently with a torch) for the hole for the shifter. The boot retainer was made of metal and was welded to the tunnel. Different carpeting was required with 4 speed cars and the shift lever was different depending on whether the car had a bench seat or buckets.

Other items specific to “V” code cars include a dual snorkel air cleaner (for cars that did not have factory OAI setups). This unit is Part # 6487337 / Code NH. (See the Air Cleaner Page.) They also have radiators without an oil cooler (for the automatic transmission) in one of the tanks, and an additional metal re-enforcement bracket that was attached to the bottom of the core support. The routing for the positive battery cable was also unique and ran along the intake manifold and the valve cover, and used a tube that routed the cable down the back of the cylinder head. The speedometer had no PRNDL printed on it (shared with floor shift automatics), and the steering column had no provision for the shift lever (also shared with floor shift automatics). Finally, it appears these cars were shipped with an engine break-in tag attached to the turn signal lever.

I hope I have covered everything. If not, please let us know. Thanks.

Back to V Code Registry Home Page

I'm still a little confused. You say you know of a U code manual trans. but according to the above info. if it was a U code it was an automatic & V code was a manual?
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:23 PM

No

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
U code was a 455 but nothing to do with the transmission. I know of a U code 72 supreme 4 speed car and I had a 72 U code automatic Supreme. Scott, All 72 W-30 was X code.
No such animal. All Muncie equipped 455 cars were either V or X code cars.
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:44 PM

In 1972 the transmission had a lot to do with the code used. No U codes were 4 speeds. That's what the V code was for, and it had associated upgrades to cam and heads as described on my website. Check the VIN stamps on that U Code 4 speed car - the transmission won't match because somebody built it later.
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:45 PM

I will look at the 72 Supreme 4 speed car again. Till now I did not know about a V code. I must have thought it was a U and not looked close enough. I know it is an original 455 4 speed car.
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I might be wrong
I'm afraid you are. The engine codes in the VIN were placed there because the EPA was requiring automakers to indicate which certified emissions package was installed in a given automobile for future annual emissions testing purposes. This was to allow engine swaps to be caught at testing stations.

Sorry, also not correct, as Terry has pointed out. This info is completely documented in the 1972 CSM (Section 0) and other factory literature. For the 1972 model year, the U code engine was the 250 HP 455 with TH400, period. The V code was the 270 HP 455 with four speed. The X code was the 300 HP W-30 with either trans. The codes are different because the engine equipment was different (cams, carb calibration, PVC routing, etc), so each unique VIN identifier was a unique, EPA-certified engine configuration.
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:59 AM

I will look at the 72 Supreme 4 speed car again. Till now I did not know about a V code. I must have thought it was a U and not looked close enough. I know it is an original 455 4 speed car.
Eric, if it turns out to be a V Code, please send me info and pics for my V Code registry. Thanks!
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:42 AM

I just called him and it is a V code car. He laughed at me for thinking it was a U, He said he thought I knew my Olds better than that, lol. It has sit in a barn in IL since the 80s. The floor pan has about 4 inches of raccoon poop in it. I am surprised how solid it was the last time I seen it. May be summer before I get to look at it again or get info from it.
Old December 30th, 2014, 02:52 PM

I just called him and it is a V code car. He laughed at me for thinking it was a U, He said he thought I knew my Olds better than that, lol. It has sit in a barn in IL since the 80s. The floor pan has about 4 inches of raccoon poop in it. I am surprised how solid it was the last time I seen it. May be summer before I get to look at it again or get info from it.
Eagerly awaiting info and pics, especially if it's a Supreme hardtop. ; )
Old December 30th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by vette442
Eagerly awaiting info and pics, especially if it's a Supreme hardtop. ; )
About a 95% chance that I will be the next owner of this car but could be any time in the next 10 years. He offered it to me this past summer but was over priced. We will someday get together on the price. I will for sure be in the barn that it sits in this summer or sooner. I will get some pictures of it my next trip. It is a Supreme.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:02 PM

What % does a U code add to value of a supreme and holiday coupe? What about V code? Not many have have changed hands on here. Thanks.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rktolds
What % does a U code add to value of a supreme and holiday coupe? What about V code? Not many have have changed hands on here. Thanks.
On the V Code Supreme front, there were only 77 hardtops and 66 convertibles built. They don't turn up very often. I find maybe one or two per year to add to my registry.

I own two of the 77 hardtops now, and I used to own a third one. I also owned one of the 66 convertibles from 2001-2004. I really regret selling that one after I bought my SX convertible.

A 25-30% bump is reasonable for a U code, and a 50% bump for a V Code is also realistic. Perhaps more if it's a really nicely equipped car. I have a decent idea what several have sold for but there's not a lot of market data out there for comparison.

Terry
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:38 PM

Are the same statistics available on U codes ?