Turn Signal Lever 72 Supreme

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Turn Signal Lever 72 Supreme

Has anyone found a replacement source for a turn signal lever that mimics the original. I ordered one from The Parts Place and it doesn't have the same shaft end that fastens to the cam (the screw hole end). The original is beveled and so is the turn signal cam that it fits into. The new one is shorter and has a completely flat edge. In other words its like trying to fit a round ped in a square hole. The original fits nicely down in the beveled cam. The new one does not fit into the cam at all. At first I thought I was sent the wrong one but the handle part matches exactly which I believe was used from 71-75. OPG shows the same one in their catalogue. I tried to put the handle from the new one on the old shaft but they are different sizes and I ended up breaking the original shaft trying to force it on. It looks like the 1967-70 turn signal lever in OPG's catalogue has the same shaft end but I don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Oldsdruid

Welcome to the world of Chinesium reproduction parts. The best recourse you have is to raise hell with the suppliers till they get the thing made correctly. Don't hold your breath.

Olds uses the same turn signal lever from 1971 thru at least 1976 (which is when my parts books cut off). Grp 2.897 p/n 408237 all A,B,C,E except K30 (cruise), Y78 (Salon), N37 (tilt-telescopic) or AR3 (airbags) which are different for obvious reasons.

Some azzwipe has been peddling a 67-70 Tilt-Telescopic w/cruise (the screw-in type) lever at outrageous price on ebay for a while, claiming it can be modified to work on non-T&T applications. Not without destroying it, it can't.

Here's a thought. Can you file or Dremel the edge to fit into the cam actuator? Just enough to where it fits snugly? Then seal it with clear nail polish to keep the chrome from flaking off.

Yup- you expect stuff you've paid hard-earned money for to fit and function correctly, but as you're seeing, that ain't the way the world works anymore.

An aside- saw in the morning paper where the Trade Commission is coming down on the Chinese for dumping tires into the American market and saturating it, to detriment of American tiremaking jobs.

Me, I'm not about to install a set of Chinese-made tires on any vehicle I own. Not even a utility trailer. I don't care if they have a DOT stamp. I don't trust them with my life and property.