Sport Steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:07 AM

Sport Steering wheels

Were these wheels ever made in a color other than black. I know some of the buttons were colored to match the interiors but I'm wondering about the wheel itself. I saw a brown sports wheel for sale so Im wondering if it was colored somehow or possibly a factory color? Thanks.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Which year cars are you asking about? 67 and 69 were available coordinated to all interior colors. 70-77 Cutlass were black rim with hub color-keyed to interior. 68 were simulated woodgrain, and 75-later Omega/Starfire ("stitched-rim" wheel) were matched to interior, as were the 78-later two-spoke sport wheels.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM

I was interested in the 70 - 72 wheels so sounds like they were all black. Other than the stitching on the Starfire wheels, are they the same otherwise....including diameter? I'm looking for one for my 72 that has a saddle interior and thought the brown wheel would look good. Thanks!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Oldsdruid

The Starfire/Omega wheels are smaller diameter than the Cutlass wheel. Only hardcore Olds folks will notice if you use a saddle Starfire wheel though. I had one in my Toronado for a while.
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Smile Sport Steering Wheels

The classic Oldmsobile 4 spoke steering wheel you are describing is option code N34. It belongs to GM group 6.513 part number 9751871. It is listed in the GM parts catalogue as correct for 1970-75. Their catalogue price JUST FOR THE WHEEL was 198.00. That doesn't include the hub, horn contacts or the cap. And by the way, that is the old price. It is not a stocking part now.

This particular part is only available in Black and measures 15 1/2 inch diameter.

As other members have said, you could get the smaller starfire wheel (14 1/2 inch diameter) color coded to your car. The rubber, stitching, and look is slightly different than the full size wheel. Just depends on your wants or needs.

These wheels are very popular add ons for a lot of GM A bodies. Something you should be aware of though, they do limit your view of all gauges except the speedo UNLESS you have a tilt steering column.

You can get these wheels on the web pretty cheap, but you get what you pay for. They are mostly worn out or gouged and feel "sticky". If you're looking for a complete "New" wheel assembly, check out the aftermarket GM licensed guys like Fusicks, Tamraz, Part's Place, Year One etc. They have a complete wheel deal for about 300 bucks complete.

Allan R