And so it continues...

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM

And so it continues...

My '72 cutlass "s" restoration has been on hold for a while now (finacial reasons) and finally decided to take one more small step and have the new headliner installed. Picked the car up last Thursday from the shop where the headliner was installed and realized that I had misplaced the old sail panels (pulled the interior out of the car in 2002 and thought that I kept everything) so I could not remember how to reinstall and the shop that put the headliner in had not worked on this exact make and model before. The headliner looks great! Would like to be able to identify and install the new panels correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0803.jpg (71.7 KB, 41 views)
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Welcome to the site! I will try to provide some photos of someone else doesn't chime in with your answers first. John
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM

thanks, much appreciated. found a thorough interior restore in a different location in this forum but it was on a convertible.
Attached Images
100_0852.jpg (46.8 KB, 35 views)
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Sorry can't help you, but wanted to comment on that paint job. That's a great color it really pops.
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Sail Panel Attachment

Hi Rick
Let me give this a shot, and if anybody else can add to it all the better. The sail panel has multiple points that hold it in place. First, on the back side is a small square plastic piece with what looks like chess pieces, the pawns, and that fits into a similar piece attached to the car sort of like velcro. As I worked with this the piece from the car body came off and there's a picture of it in my hand below.
P1010047-2.jpg

Next, there is extra material covering the sail panel that wraps around the metal bolted to the body that the plastic trim clips onto. It may have spray adhesive on it, I'm not sure. Brain dead at the moment, can't think of what the plastic trim is called! The picture below shows that.
P1010050-2.jpg

Then the plastic trim that runs over the side windows and around the back window sort of clips over this. Check out the photos below.
P1010045-3.jpg
P1010044-2.jpg

Then lastly the panel that is above the side armrest and runs along the side/top of the rear seat back and package tray covers the sail panel along the bottom.

These photos show the reverse order of me gently pulling things apart. Let me know if any of the steps are unclear. John
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM

John,Thank you very much. If I remember correctly I do have a couple of those plastic velcro looking clips in one of the storage cans from the tear down. Will look again tommorow for the original sail panels for the location to be attached to the new panels.
Attached Images
100_0799.jpg (46.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by rickbmac; October 18th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Misplaced clips. Instead of searching at salvage yard I will atempt to utilize heavy velcro or similar unless someone can let me know of a great alternative.
Much appreciated!
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Have replaced column shift with Dual Gate at console. Assembly manual is not very thorough. Changed out columns from a column shift to floor shift. Do I need to purchase an extension to run from under dash harness to my console harness? Also neutral safety and backup switches will no longer be at column. Cannot find anything in manual that describes. Can someone please enlighten me.
Thank You,
Rick
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:25 PM

That might work. But if you have time to surf the internet you might try some of the companies who repop a lot of stuff. Fusick and Year One come to mind as possibilities. Maybe some other members can suggest other vendors. John
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by rickbmac
Have replaced column shift with Dual Gate at console. Assembly manual is not very thorough. Changed out columns from a column shift to floor shift. Do I need to purchase an extension to run from under dash harness to my console harness? Also neutral safety and backup switches will no longer be at column. Cannot find anything in manual that describes. Can someone please enlighten me.
Thank You,
Rick
backup light and neutral safety are still on the column with a floor shift. should be able to use original column shift rod to attach to linkage on side of tranny to operate the steering column lock and switches.
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Hi Rick
Fusick, pg 34 has describes a console harness, and console extension harness. It' been a while since I pulled a wiring harness out, but I think there was a plug behind the dash that wasn't used unless the car had a console.

Yes, the neutral safety switch is attached to the dual gate shifter. John

Whoops! I just saw Shane's post. I thought the neutral safety switch was moved, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited by 2blu442; April 11th, 2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Updated
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM

I will check out Fusick and let you know tomarrow.
Thanks alot,
Rick
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Installed package tray (including jute), then sail panels along with rear and side windlace. Now the plastic windlace covers at the lower left and right of the rear window no longer fit between tray and windlace. I believe that the additional jute raised the package tray. Tried heavy velcro to hold sail panels in place of the clips. Did not work so panels are loose. Are clips sold aftermarket? Is felt
necessary
below package tray?