Right Hand Mirror for '67 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2009, 05:33 AM
...should get a life....

Right Hand Mirror for '67 Cutlass

G'day from Australia. Brand new to this site and eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first Olds coming down under from South Carolina. Its a 67 Cutlass Supreme Convertible (yellow / yellow leather / white top) & hopefully it will be as nice as it looks in the photos.
Guys, what I can't find anywhere is someone selling right hand mirrors for 67s. You can't do without them when you drive a left hand drive car on the left side of the road. Try pulling out from the curb on a busy street.
Anyone who can point me in the right direction of a good one will be my new best friend. Just sold my 69 Road Runner and a mate up in Wisconsin kind of convinced me to try Oldsmobile. He rebuilds Hurst cars and reckons Olds are better all round cars than Mopars. We'll see.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

This is a great site. Try http://www.fusick.com/ I believe they might have what your looking for
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Trying to remember member

Welcome!
Fusick is left hand only. Rights are not reproduced that I know of, and used ones are *very* hard to come by.
I heard (from someone here on CO0 that a left could be used on the right; it wouldn't look quite right, but would fit and function okay. But I don't know this from personal experience.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
Welcome!
Fusick is left hand only. Rights are not reproduced that I know of, and used ones are *very* hard to come by.
I heard (from someone here on CO0 that a left could be used on the right; it wouldn't look quite right, but would fit and function okay. But I don't know this from personal experience.
Due to the way the mirror fits on the door, the contour of the base is slightly different from LH to RH.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO and hoping you can find some kind of mirror that will work that won't look out of place since no OE is available.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Somewhere along the way I got some right hand mirrors. Let me see if I can figure out where, it's been several years.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
...should get a life....

Thanks Folks. Appreciate your replys & endeavours. I tried the Fusick web catalogue and yep..only LH mirrors.
I've been trying to post a picture of the car and add it to my user ID. Not having much luck. Any tips?
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Smile

I can't answer your mirror question, but I am kind of interested in what kind of Hurst cars your Wisconsin friend restores and where he is. Thanks.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM
...should get a life....

The last one he finished off and took to Mecum was a '68 I think. He may have done another one since and I know he has at least one more lined up. He's in La Crosse.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM

I worked on a '67 Cutlass today and I can't say for sure, but it looks like that the left should work on the right hand side. The base looks like it may go either way.
Take your off and check it out.
Gene
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:38 PM
...should get a life....

Thanks for that. Instead of worrying about it now I'll wait until the car arrives in Australia and like you said, take the mirror off and see how it sits on the other side. LH items are easy to get.
Cheers
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Captain of my ship

Though there is no RH mirror for a 67 you may try a 68 RH mirror. It may need a little tinkering to fit on the fender but I am not sure how difficult it would be.Maybe jamesbo can find a RH mirror for you
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM

I saw one RH mirror for my 64 Olds at a flea market. It was mint. The guy wanted $250 for it to which I politely left it there. I hope you can find one cheaper than that!
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Several years ago, I purchased a NOS mirror on e Bay for the ungodly sum of three hundred dollars. I have learned that a lot of vista cruiser wagons were equipped with right side mirrors so if you are unable to acquire a NOS mirror, finding a used one on a vista cruiser might be an option. I happen to have one right now that needs to be rechromed. I would consider selling it, but would want a pretty good amount for it.
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 442garage
Several years ago, I purchased a NOS mirror on e Bay for the ungodly sum of three hundred dollars. I have learned that a lot of vista cruiser wagons were equipped with right side mirrors so if you are unable to acquire a NOS mirror, finding a used one on a vista cruiser might be an option. I happen to have one right now that needs to be rechromed. I would consider selling it, but would want a pretty good amount for it.
That's a good tip 442garage! I wouldn't have thought of checking the Vista Cruisers
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM

RH mirror

Several years ago, I wanted to match the LH remote mirror on my '68 Impala wagon with an identical RH mirror. They (GM) NEVER made that mirror, so I was out of luck. I removed the LH remote mirror and with a lot of study, was able to use the same bracket and head to create a one-of-a-kind RH remote mirror, complete with inside adjustment cable. It is in fact, my old LH remote mirror. The replacement LH remote mirror is readily available to replace the 'stolen' one that migrated to the RH side. Just a thought for you ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mirror1.jpg (48.5 KB, 31 views)
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM
...should get a life....

Lots of good info guys and I thank you. I'm going to wait until I see the car and try the lh mirror on the right side for starters. I have to be practical, ie to drive a left hand drive vehicle on the left side of the road is an interesting experience as I learned with my Road Runner, but without rear vision down the right side is downright dangerous. The reply re the Vista wagon mirror is a good one. Might be an opportunity there. Cheers folks.
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
...should get a life....

There are '67 2 Vista wagons on eBay right now and the mirrors don't appear to be the same as the one on my Cutlass which is the correct one according to Fusick catalogues etc. If I have no luck I would be interested in yours if its the correct mirror...easy enough to get it rechromed. Have you got a picture of it?
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Try this...

http://wyoming.craigslist.org/pts/1331049000.html

http://www.buzzysrods.com/FOR%20SALE...%20Cruiser.htm

First link is to a Vista Cruiser for sale in Wyoming, second link has a number of pictures of it. There is a right side fender mirror shown.
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by 442garage
Just picked up a NOS RH Mirror on eBay (in the box with hardware and fitting instructions) for $202 so problem solved.
Should have the car to put it on next week.
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM

Did your car finally show up from shipping?
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by svnt442
Did your car finally show up from shipping?
Still working its way through customs. Importers just emailed me to say they hope to be unpacking the container on Monday. I should have it next week sometime. Then comes the fun part...getting it road registered. First it has to be weighed, then "blue slipped" (road worthiness check and number recording), then registered at the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA). Depending on which **** serves me at the RTA I may have a stand up fight about whether I need an engineers certificate of compliance even though a 1967 car has nothing to be complied against. Our design rules didn't start until 1969.
I'll be glad when I'm finally cruising down the coast in it.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM

What about having to convert it to RHD? I thought that was a requirement down there.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
...should get a life....

Convert to RHD

Originally Posted by svnt442
What about having to convert it to RHD? I thought that was a requirement down there.
No. Cars over 30 years old can be registered and driven LHD in Australia. No modifications needed...not even a "Left Hand Drive" decal on the bumper.
Cars manufactured after August 1972 do need an engineers certificate of compliance with Australian Design Rules, ie seat belt anchorage and other bits & pieces....but thats about it. Its a buzz driving LHD cars down here, except places like McDonalds Drive Throughs and toll collection points.
Passengers feel a little vulnerable sitting out in the middle of the road without a wheel to hang on to. I keep a spare steering wheel in the back for emergencies like when you get pulled over for a police breath test. Give the passenger a wheel and hope the cops don't notice.Hasn't worked yet....
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Have you picked up the car yet, we're waiting with baited breath!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:57 AM
...should get a life....

yep....it's here.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Have you picked up the car yet, we're waiting with baited breath!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, it arrived on Monday.
I had a few beers on Tuesday night, then a few more, and posted a huge piece on C.O then hit a few wrong keys and the whole lot went into cyberspace. So I'll try again.
The car has been around the world an is filthy so I'll clean it up before posting any pics. I have one of it in a huge plastic bag in the container but too big to post.
What can I tell you?
I've been bullshitted to again. Must be something to do with buying an selling muscle cars and horses. We've bought and sold a few horses over the years and horse people are the biggest bunch of shysters I've ever come across. Besides US Musclecar sellers.
I bought an original 41,000 mile, original paint, "leather" yellow interior, no accident damage, no rust, no oil leaks car with a white convertible top.
I received a multi painted, parchment vinyl painted yellow interior, champagne topped, replaced rh rear quarter panel, repaired front lh front quarter, oil leaking car with a little rust in the "there's no rust in the trunk" trunk.
As soon as I saw the car, before it even rolled off the trailer, I had decided to sell it. And I may still do that, but I've calmed down a bit.
In fact I'm starting to like this car. It's obviously an old restoration..guessing around 20years old.
I've had it on a hoist and the underside is fantastic. Floors are great, new exhaust, no rust anywhere. The one thing that amazes me most of all is that everything except the radio works. Every switch, dial, lever and light.
The dash is in beautiful condition, under the hood isn't bad, got the original jack and spare plus the instructions are still there under the trunk lid. The engine number, from what I can tell, indicates that its a 67 engine. If one of you experts want's to confirm that for me I'd be greatful: # W552063G
And it purrs. This motor runs like new and the trans shifts like silk. The brakes pull up like a disc brake car and it is a joy to drive.
So I bought $300 of car care product today and I'm going to attack it on Saturday then take the bride out cruising on Sunday down to the Southern Highlands for lunch. It'll be 32 degrees (thats celcius guys) so perfect top-down weather.
Don't know whether I'll be keeping it though. By the time it gets a new interior and paint job the car will owe me close to Aus$40,000. With our dollar getting stronger against the greenback I could pick up a nice 442 or world's best Cutlass Supreme for than kind of money. And next time I will be enlisting the help of someone from C.O.
As The Who eloquently put it..."We won't get fooled again !"
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Sorry to hear that you got scammed. Keep it a while maybe it will grow on you after its cleaned up. Next time someone for CO will look at your next purchase for you
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:43 AM

That sucks. I have been scammed like that before as well.. bought a '70 Jeepster Commando out of Idaho and had it shipped to Phoenix on Ebay. What was supposed to be a professionally lifted, rust free running and driving Jeepster turned out to be a sheetmetal floor, rusted out and bondoed, non running, fuel tank leaking, hard top busted pile of junk. Paypal and Ebay did NOTHIING to help me either.. lesson learned! Hopefully you will decide to hang onto it.. still sounds like a nice car! Can't wait to see the photos!
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM

Sad that the whole world is so full of people that want to take whatever you have. Theft by many means.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but we can all learn from your experience. That is one of the great things about a forum. I do recall the "leather interior" being a red flag, as they never came that way, and it would be an extremely expensive addition.
I can, however, confirm that you do have a correct block number, thus probably an original engine.
Good that you pick yourself up and dust yourself off and take an objective look at things before you make any quick decisions.
Personally, I just can't make a (big) purchase like that without a personal inspection by me (or someone I know or trust). But I understand that you are in a different position living over there. But I would suggest you and anyone else not in a position to personally inspect a car to enlist the the help of other through places like this forum or the Oldsmobile Club of America (as examples) to get someone to inspect the car for you.
Not foolproof, but would help prevent outright misrepresentation. Or call it theft, which it really is.
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM
Captain of my ship

Almost never does the car description on these sites actually fit the car when you see it in person. I think it's almost worthwhile to join websites like this one and as many as you can find then when you are too far away to see the car in person you may be able to find someone close to the car who can be an agent for you. Like you said fool me once.....
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Captain of my ship

I think we were thinking the same thing at the same time wmachine
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
I think we were thinking the same thing at the same time wmachine
Great minds.....

Seriously, it just makes sense.
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM
...should get a life....

[quote=wmachine;120150].
I can, however, confirm that you do have a correct block number, thus probably an original engine.
Good that you pick yourself up and dust yourself off and take an objective look at things before you make any quick decisions.
Thanks for the confirmation on the engine number.
I spent 12 hours going over the car, detailing it and checking it right out and it's got me beat. Up under the dash is like new....and usually thats where even a nicely restored car can show its age. Down in the wells where the convertible top sits has that reddish primer which I guess is original and as I mentioned, under the car is like new. The engine is as quiet as any V8 I've heard and it shifts beautifully. And after hours detailing it,......well, it looks fantastic! (from 10 feet anyway).I had the air re-gassed on Friday and it blows nice & cold. Got some power to the Cutless radio cassette but it won't work. Thats OK as I've got the original one to stick in the dash and I'll get a nice hidden sound system installed.
I'll try to get some picks today while its stil clean.
And next time I buy a car in the States I will put out a call for help.
Cheers