RF Clunk When Backing Up

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2014, 10:50 AM

RF Clunk When Backing Up

I replaced springs, bushings, ball joints and added factory power disk to the front end on my 72 Cutlass. When I back up, turn the wheel to the right (back end goes left) and apply the brakes, the right front goes clunk. I checked everything, and found if I twist the right tie rod end it will clunk when it reaches the end of it's travel (Twist bottom of the rod toward the front, top of tie rod toward the back).

Anyone know if it is the tie rod end or the steering knuckle bracket it attaches to that is bad?
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Administrator

If there is no play in the joint the tie rod is not bad. Have you replaced the upper/lower control arm bushings and sway bar links and bushings? What about the centerlink and idler arm is there play in them?
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:58 PM

All bushings, ball joints, bearings and springs were replaced. When the tie rod end is twisted to it's limit, it clunks, not as loud as when the car is backed up, but it sounds like the noise is the same. The tie rod end pops (clunks) at the grease joint at the steering knuckle. I think it must be either the tie rod end or the steering knucle...but which.
Old October 27th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by brown7373
All bushings, ball joints, bearings and springs were replaced. When the tie rod end is twisted to it's limit, it clunks, not as loud as when the car is backed up, but it sounds like the noise is the same. The tie rod end pops (clunks) at the grease joint at the steering knuckle. I think it must be either the tie rod end or the steering knucle...but which.
Jack up the car and have the front wheels off the ground a few inches. Have somebody or you grab the tire and shake it side to side. Look at the tie rod ends that connects to the knuckle or center link to see any movement. Or get a large channel locks (water pump pliers if you want to call that) and squeeze each tie rod end that connects to the center link or knuckle. Or look behind the tie rod boot to see if any signs of rust. Also you can get a strong grip of your hands and shake the tie rod ends up or down, in and out, front to back.
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Tie Rods are relatively cheap, and easy to change out. Suggest you get some new ones.
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:36 PM

I agree replace them. The other thing is check to make sure the bolts in the adjusting sleeves of the tie rods are not hitting on the frame. If in the wrong position they can in a few extreme turns. Had that happen on one once.
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Did you grease all the ball joints and tie rod ends after you put them on? Im about to tell on myself. I did the same to a 71 Monte Carlo I built for my son about 12 years ago. I forgot to grease well..... everything. It would clunk and pop like crazy. A friend asked me if I greased it, the light bulb came on! Greased it up no more clunking and popping. LOL yes I did.
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:17 AM

Everything was greased. If I grab the tie rod end and twist it, at the end of it's travel it makes an audible clunk, and I can feel it pop in my hand. I agree that the ends are cheap, and easy to replace, so I guess I will go that route. I am 99% sure that is the problem, but am not sure if the tie rod end wears first, or the steering knuckle. If the end doesn't fix it, I will replace the knuckle. Thanks for the ideas.
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Did you check the bolts and holes where the front shocks attach? This drove me NUTS for months! had a worn bolt shank.