Revisit - My original question, 72 Cutlass S Sport Coupe

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM

My original post was moved to cars for sale, but my original question was:
What is your opinion / What do you think about value?

I do appreciate your experienced input.

(See Pics & Details in the link of my signature)

Thank You...
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Past Administrator

Very hard to say without actually seeing the car, the interior, under the hood, the undercarriage, and driving it. But, I would investigate it further if I was looking for a Cutlass and saw that locally if it were posted for less than 2.5K. The total mileage can be a detriment but nothing you can do about it.
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Very hard to say without actually seeing the car, the interior, under the hood, the undercarriage, and driving it. But, I would investigate it further if I was looking for a Cutlass and saw that locally if it were posted for less than 2.5K. The total mileage can be a detriment but nothing you can do about it.
X2. Absolutely. But you can do much better with your pics. Pics to sell a car should be much different than ones to display it. Pics should show condition as much as possible. *Lots* of close-ups all. They say "a pic is worth a thousand words", but when selling a car, it more like you need a thousand (good) pics and not so many words!
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Agreed. She looks nice from a distance....Would be curious to see underneath, inside, and up-close...

I'm only a couple hours from you...so keep us up-to-date on more pics...I could probably get some dough together for the right sibling to keep my S company while I'm at work.

Russ
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Thanks all for your input, I do understand the point regarding the pictures / close ups. I mention at the bottom of page to see link on the top bar named "Interior & Close Ups" Here you will find those pic's...

I have had alot of trouble with intermittent access to this Comcast web page, seems to be unavailable frequently. I was loading pictures this AM and access just dropped. I couldn't get back for a couple of hours. Once back in I had to take off to work. (Considering moving the info for more reliable access)

I will be adding many more close ups later today! Check them out.

Thanks Again
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Your opinion matters also!

Ken
I can appreciate your question whole heartedly. Different regions of our country seem to bring great prices for cars, while others seem to lag behind pricewise. I'll get to my point. You undoubtedly have a number in your head that you would be happy with. My advice, throw it out there and you'll get more responses. Good or bad. As the other members have said, snap as many closeups as you possibly can. They will sell the car at it's deserved price. BTW, I'm not much further from you than Russ. At least he has an Olds to drive. He's seen mine and it's not ready for the road yet. This warmer PA weather is givin' me the itch to cruise something other than my work truck. Could scrape some mulla together myself. Sorry Russ.
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM

More pictures added.

See the link "Interior, Misc & Close Ups" at the top of main page...

I have a bunch more, will post later this evening; (Daughters birthday, heading out to dinner)
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by AtzMaBoy
More pictures added.

See the link "Interior, Misc & Close Ups" at the top of main page...

I have a bunch more, will post later this evening; (Daughters birthday, heading out to dinner)
Had a look at your extra pics; exterior, interiror, under hood etc. The car has some nice options: AT, PS, PB, Air, AM/FM, SS11 wheels, tinted glass. But that's about it. The Cutlass S came in 2 models - the G77 Sports Coupe and the G87 Hartop Coupe. You have the G77 Sports coupe with what looks like an f85 interior (??). Anyway, the base price on this car back in 1972 was $3026.60. Add for the options:
L32 2BBL Rocket 350 - 46.00
A02 Soft-Ray tinted windshield - $30.00
C60 Air Conditioner - $397.00
M38 TH350 Transmission - 215.00
N66 SS11 Wheel option (Cast - grey color) $72.00
U69 Radio AM/FM Monaural -$135.00

Total as I see it from these pics is around 3800 bucks. The post coupe was not widely produced as the 2 door hardtop with the same body lines. Is it more rare? Yes. Is it more desired? Don't know. If it was my choice, I'd take the non pillared coupe every time.

What's it worth? Based on your pictures, it's defintely worthy of restoration, but will take a fair bit to git'r done. If I was interested in buying the car, I would probably offer you around $3000.00 - 4000.00. One of the really nice things you have going for you is the original documents including protecto-plate. Chances are the original build or broadcast sheet is still somewhere in the car. Anyway, these are just my opinions. What you get for the car will depend a lot on what someone is really willing to pay.

Last edited by Allan R; May 22nd, 2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: additional info
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Not to take anything away from your car, but there seem to have been an awful lot of ads in the last year for "RARE" sport coupe GM cars. The ads imply that rarity implies more valuable. Keep in mind that Sport Coupes are rare because they were unpopular when new. Holiday coupes outsold Sport Coupes by about 10 to 1 in the Cutlass lines. The Sport Coupe was usually marketed and optioned as the loss leader stripper car, which gave the body style a low rent stigma. Of course, the lighter weight and lower cost also made them popular with drag racers.

Ultimately, a car is only as valuable as a buyer considers it to be. There's a buyer somewhere who thinks Sport Coupes are the best thing ever to come out of GM. Connecting that buyer with that car is the challenge.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the input - Final pics posted today 5-31-09. I'll likely be posting to ebay today. (Pricing noted as a reserve)

Link to the ClassicOldsmobile "Cars For Sale" thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ss-s-sale.html

All pics in link of signature.

Wish me well - KAP
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by AtzMaBoy
Thanks everyone for the input - Final pics posted today 5-31-09. I'll likely be posting to ebay today. (Pricing noted as a reserve)

Link to the ClassicOldsmobile "Cars For Sale" thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ss-s-sale.html

All pics in link of signature.

Wish me well - KAP

Good luck Ken. Hope you get your price. BTW I went to your link. I've seen the detail shots you put up before: that's how I was able to see the options that are on it. The links for the interior etc on the web page you''re using were not working this afternoon. Any way you can just load them in from photobucket? They'll show up everytime.

If I lived closer and had more space, I would make you an offer.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback Allen.

- ALL OFFERS GLADLY ACCEPTED -
If I lived closer and had more space, I would make you an offer.

There are 50-60 pic's on the page you referenced, maybe taking it bit longer to load??? I have had various folks check it out, no other reports of problems.
...that's how I was able to see the options that are on it. The links for the interior etc on the web page you're using were not working this afternoon. Any way you can just load them in from photobucket? They'll show up everytime.
FEEDBACK REQUEST:
Has anyone else had problems seeing all pic's on any of the "three" pages?

Thanks - KAP
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There's a buyer somewhere who thinks Sport Coupes are the best thing ever to come out of GM. Connecting that buyer with that car is the challenge.
I've had two '68 S post coupes - there's something very cool/different about them. My last one was a bucket seat/rallye pack/ HiComp 350 4bbl/ 3 speed manual floor shift car. Should have kept it.

I'll probably have to check out Ken's car later this week since I'm fairly local. I have a set of SSIs that would look great on it in place of those later year snap-on cap SSIIs. ; )

Terry
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Trying to remember member

I know post coupes don't do much for Joe P, but like Terry, I think they're pretty special for a number of reasons. One is that they are more unusual. Yes, that means that they were less popular. But that's one of the reasons I'm into Oldsmobiles. If I wanted popular, I get a Chebby.
But more importantly, when it comes to performance cars, the post cars trump the hardtops for being quicker. The post cars are lighter, so identically equipped to a hardtop, that makes the post car quicker. Simple physics.