Removing 24" rims from '68 Cutlass - any gotchas?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM

Removing 24" rims from '68 Cutlass - any gotchas?

Hi Guys,
I just bumped into a '68 cutlass S hardtop across town….very clean car, 99% original except for the 24" rims.

anybody know what these guys do to the suspension in order to get that clearance? If I buy this thing I'll be removing the rims before it gets anywhere near my house. Is it a simple matter of switching out the springs or…does it get uglier?

Any help or ideas would be great.

Car is interesting- post coupe, no rust except boot of one fender, never wrecked, front and rear bumpers are pristine, interior is near perfect with tattering of back seat (sun area). Head gasket is blown yet that's doable.
Last thing I need right now is another project yet who can say no at a fire sale price.

By the way- no disrespect to guys who like big rims….I'm a purist and need stock.

Last edited by shamusj; January 22nd, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Your going to have to see if they changed the springs, control arms, and brakes. If not it's just a simple wheel and tire swap.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM

According to the owner they simply put 1 ton springs in…..
I did notice after market disk brakes.
The price is sooo good I may just bite the bullet and figure out later. Going to DMV now to make sure the title is clean.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:37 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Usually on A body there is no suspension upgrades to fit 24". Probably just a swap like oldcutlass said.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shamusj
According to the owner they simply put 1 ton springs in…..
I did notice after market disk brakes.
The price is sooo good I may just bite the bullet and figure out later. Going to DMV now to make sure the title is clean.

One ton springs? Measure the brakes as a 24" wheel can swallow a very big caliper and rotor whereas the 15's can't.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM

Another thing to check is where the wheel well moldings are mounted. Sometimes they roll the fender lips to give them more tire clearance. I even saw one guy cut the inside of front fender lip off to give him more turning radius. That was on a 72 vista cruiser with 24's.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:52 PM

If you're mechanically inclined, I wouldn't worry too much about what the PO did. If he got radical, the parts he installed are expen$ive, and you'll be able to reap some bucks and buy cheap OE stuff in exchange.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:56 PM

All good points.

What do 24" chrome rims go for? They've gotta be expensive. Low profile tires….I Should be able sell them and put a dent in purchase price

Stay tuned…trying to purchase this thing and shove into storage without the wife knowing….I can ease her in to it later. Every man has to have a secret cash stash.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:33 PM

Look for rubs up high on the inner-fender sheet metal. I've seen tall, wide tires eat holes in that metal. Those boys likely have been scraping on bumps and turns peeling the tire and inner fender! If no rubs are to be found, you're golden!

I doubt the car was raised? Put up some pics.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:44 PM

Question

Hi Guys,
I just bumped into a '68 cutlass S hardtop across town….very clean car, 99% original except for the 24" rims.

anybody know what these guys do to the suspension in order to get that clearance? If I buy this thing I'll be removing the rims before it gets anywhere near my house. Is it a simple matter of switching out the springs or…does it get uglier?

Any help or ideas would be great.

Car is interesting- post coupe, no rust except boot of one fender, never wrecked, front and rear bumpers are pristine, interior is near perfect with tattering of back seat (sun area). Head gasket is blown yet that's doable.
Last thing I need right now is another project yet who can say no at a fire sale price.

By the way- no disrespect to guys who like big rims….I'm a purist and need stock.

If the previous owner was stupid enough to put 24" rims on it (and why?)......who knows what else has been done???
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:27 PM
Senior Moment Member

We had one at the shop that was completely redone as to the geometry of the suspension. A lot of custom brackets and mounts. All welded. Hope yours isn't like that. What a way to ruin a car.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:43 PM

The wheels just don't do anything for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4938.jpg (67.1 KB, 119 views)
IMG_4941.jpg (55.1 KB, 98 views)
IMG_4943.jpg (59.5 KB, 105 views)
IMG_4945.jpg (54.9 KB, 95 views)
IMG_4948.jpg (73.0 KB, 94 views)
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Me either, whats the plan?
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:53 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I would check wheel bearings. I have heard that a large heavy tire combo like that can eat up bearings in a hurry especially if they are orginal. Don't know if true but easy to check.

Larry
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:01 AM

Car looks really good
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When you get those goofy wheels off it really is going to be a nice looking car.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:21 AM

car doesnt look lifted. might have bigger springs or spring shims. If the rear springs are leaves, thats probably what they swapped out for "one ton" springs.
Car looks nice, and I wouldnt let the rims deter me from buying it if it was cheap. depending on rim/ tire condition, you might be able to get 700-1k for them. here big rims/ tires in good shape, even used, arent cheap if its a popular design.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by cadillac kevin
If the rear springs are leaves, thats probably what they swapped out for "one ton" springs.
It would take a lot of tweaking to get leaf springs on a GM A-body

I wouldn't think twice about buying the car. You can sell all the modified parts and they'll more than pay for bringing it back to a stock stance.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:57 PM

Once again….hats off to you gentlemen.
I took a second, closer look at the car and some jackass had cut both front fenders (front and back of wheel well). Back quarters looked good.
Were still in negotiation yet I'm ok letting it go or…if he takes my lower offer it was meant to be.
Checked with DMV and there was a decent amount of fines piled up for this, that and the other thing.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

All good points.

What do 24" chrome rims go for? They've gotta be expensive. Low profile tires….I Should be able sell them and put a dent in purchase price

Stay tuned…trying to purchase this thing and shove into storage without the wife knowing….I can ease her in to it later. Every man has to have a secret cash stash.
Done this once or twice.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:39 PM

Once again….hats off to you gentlemen.
I took a second, closer look at the car and some jackass had cut both front fenders (front and back of wheel well). Back quarters looked good.
Were still in negotiation yet I'm ok letting it go or…if he takes my lower offer it was meant to be.
Checked with DMV and there was a decent amount of fines piled up for this, that and the other thing.
Re: the fenders, a trashed fender could provide the needed sections for a fairly easy fix. Just sayin'...
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM

car looks clean make sure no crack pipes under seat or guns lol
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
It would take a lot of tweaking to get leaf springs on a GM A-body

I wouldn't think twice about buying the car. You can sell all the modified parts and they'll more than pay for bringing it back to a stock stance.
1963-72 you could get 1 ton chevrolets trucks with coils springs front and rear.

Henry