Rallye - what black to use on Grilles

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Project Junkie

Question Rallye - what black to use on Grilles

I'm doing a quick freshen up on my Rallye and want to know what black to use on the grilles, tail lights, headlight bezels, etc. Is it a flat, semi-flat or gloss black? Any one have a recommendation on what rattle can paint to use? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
side view small.jpg (45.4 KB, 19 views)
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:45 AM

flat black at each point you mentioned. most any parts store will have a good rattle can of paint. i think i had duplicolor when i did mine.
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM

I'm partial to Rust-Oleum Satin 7777 Black. In addition to being acceptable as a correct semi-flat, this stuff comes in a poof-can, and has much better adhesion than, say, Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat Black. The downside is its slow drying time. I usually allow it to dry overnight.
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM

I've been using Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat Black for years and I'm very happy with it. They've recently changed the name and number to 51613 Satin Black and it has a little more of a shine/sheen to it but it's by no means glossy. I use it on just about everything black...frame, under the hood, metals, plastics, trim, etc and it looks excellent and very factory. It holds up very well and applies easy just like the can says. Drying time is also pretty minimal. I haven't done grilles yet but I would definitely use this paint to do so.
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM

I've not had good luck with Rust-Oleum. I painted a convertible top frame and it took a year to dry. After a week I gave up and left it in the attic for a year. It was dry then.
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bkeese
I've not had good luck with Rust-Oleum. I painted a convertible top frame and it took a year to dry. After a week I gave up and left it in the attic for a year. It was dry then.
This is interesting info. Was it fresh Rust'Oleum or something that had been on the shelf for a long time? Was it an aerosol, or out of a can?

Thanks,
Bob
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM

I've had some luck with Rust Oleum but mostly just the primer. I've never gotten quite the same results or satisfaction as with Krylon. Whatever it is in the formula of that paint always yields excellent results for me. Of course a lot of the results come from the prep and painting conditions too!
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Ragtop
I'm partial to Rust-Oleum Satin 7777 Black. In addition to being acceptable as a correct semi-flat, this stuff comes in a poof-can, and has much better adhesion than, say, Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat Black. The downside is its slow drying time. I usually allow it to dry overnight.
i may be wrong but i think to be correct it is flat black and not semi flat.
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM

Ragtop,
It was a rattle can, but I've had it happen several times. A week later it is still tacky. Maybe I put too thick a coat on, or something, all I know is I avoid it now. Krylon works for me and that's all I use, if they have the color.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
I've been using Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat Black for years and I'm very happy with it. They've recently changed the name and number to 51613 Satin Black and it has a little more of a shine/sheen to it...
I love Krylon and have been using it for years.

I do not love the fact that they changed their black gloss levels, though.

The Semi-Gloss Black, Semi-Flat Black, and Ultra-Flat Black, were all darn near perfect for their intended applications.
Now, there is nothing flat enough for a real dead flat, and the semi-gloss just isn't the same for engine parts, etc.

Anyone know where I could find a case or 2 of the old stuff?

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
<snip> The Semi-Gloss Black, Semi-Flat Black, and Ultra-Flat Black, were all darn near perfect for their intended applications.
Now, there is nothing flat enough for a real dead flat, and the semi-gloss just isn't the same for engine parts, etc. <snip>
I agree. I believe that the adhesion is not as good as the old stuff as well. I've had great results with the Rust-Oleum. It's been used extensively on my GTO (pic attached), Best of Show, Haydocy Pontiac All Pontiac Show, 2010 (no brag, just fact. Well, maybe a little brag...).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I love Krylon and have been using it for years.

I do not love the fact that they changed their black gloss levels, though.

The Semi-Gloss Black, Semi-Flat Black, and Ultra-Flat Black, were all darn near perfect for their intended applications.
Now, there is nothing flat enough for a real dead flat, and the semi-gloss just isn't the same for engine parts, etc.

Anyone know where I could find a case or 2 of the old stuff?

- Eric
Hey Eric,

On a whim, I thought I'd check ebay for you and I actually found a listing for some 1613...check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRYLON-PRO-SEMI-...item27b5e1ff57

it's a little pricey for 6 cans but if it's what you really need.....

hope this helps.

John
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Project Junkie

Thanks guys thats very helpful. I've bought all my rattle can paint from Eastwood and it is always top notch and colors are right on.