Procar seat swap

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2012, 06:54 AM

Procar seat swap

Hey guys. I'm thinking of putting some Procar Rally seats in my 67 Cutlass Conv. Has anyone done a seat swap on their rig? I looked at some Chevelles that had those seats in them and they came out great, but I heard the seats ride a little high.
The reason I want to swap is because my diver's seat does not engage the latch when it is reclined. Therefore the left side of the seat is further forward than the right side and it gets uncomfortable after a while. Also, my car has a power drivers seat (that doesnt work) that I would like to convert to a manual seat. Has anyone done that conversion?

Bottom line is I want a more comfortable, modern seat with the styling of the original Thanks in advance.

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Ben

I had a set of these seats that i ran for a few years in a 69 Elcamino, then in a 70 elcamino. They are nice looking seats and a good deal for the money.

But here are the downsides:
1. As you mentioned..their height- using their brackets, even on the lowest position, you are up high. These could be modified lower though if you make your own mounting brackets (save you a couple hundred in not having to buy their brackets too, but more of a pain to fab up of course)

2. The high side bolsters. Man they sure hold you in place when you are driving, but they are a BITCH to get in & out of. You basically have to re-learn how to get in the car, cause you aren't going to slide in over those things.
I'm 5'11" and (at the time i had the seats) about 220lbs, and they were a bit tight. Not bad tight, but still tight. If i were to try to sit in them today (about 250lbs) it might be uncomfortable.

3. They are a lot "smaller" in person than they look. The seat backs are considerable smaller than stock bucket seats. They don't look it in the catalogs but they are.

---
All that being said, i really did like em, and I've contemplated buying another set.

I bought them originally back in 2000 when they were first released, and i think i paid $950 for the seats + mounting brackets+shipping, which was a lot less than i was going to pay to purchase & restore stock bucket seats.

I ran them for 2 years, then decided i wanted stock seats... Pulled em, installed stock seats- sold the car... bought another car- & put them in there.
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Ben

to answer your second question about the power seat thing...
All you need is a stock set of seat tracks.

You can "move" the original power setup by using a power screwdriver with a square drill bit. Take the cover off the power transmission unit at the front of the seat, you'll see two square circles, these are where the drive cables attach. by inserting the drill bit, and running the drill forward or backwards, you can override the motors & move the seat so it can be unbolted from the floor & then move it to be able to access the holes bolting the power track to the bucket.

There are guys who restore the power track setups, you should be able to get decent money for it, even non-running.
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Ben

one more... (you have several things in your posting)

if your seat is leaning back too far on one side, then something is broken, or missing.

There should be these little rubber bumpers that screw to the rear of the bottom, and the upper seatback rests on them when its leaned back.
Are they in place?

67/68 seats have the latch mechanism on the outboard side, which basically supports that side of the seatback. The otherside, if there is no rubber bumper to stop it, will lean back.

Also, the upper seat itself could be broken causing the lean. Not a huge deal to fix, but would require pulling off the covers.

the stock seats are very nice and comfortable if restored properly using the right products (the wrong products will make it feel terrible)