OPG first order impression... Yea!

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM

OPG first order impression... Yea!

I wanted to ditch the original rear view mirror that has been bugging me. It looked like something you'd have in an Adam's Family car. Kind of creepy with yellow spider lines around the edges from the silvering going away.

On a whim, I thought I'd try OPG's offering of what appeared to be the same mirror. It arrived today. I was surprised how close to the original it is even with the same stamped lettering. It fit perfectly and is good quality. Nice first impression of a reproduction supplier.

I had lowered expectations with how pretty much everything made these days is junk. It's truly a surprise to receive a decent part. Now I just need three hundered more and the car will be new!
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Those guys at OPG are awesome. When we are in SoCal I stop in and pick up a few goodies. Everything I've bought has been first rate.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:40 AM
72 Olds CS

I have been happy w OPG as well. They can be spendy w their prices but they do offer good parts and almost always a discount if you sign up for their emails
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:18 PM

My motto is "You get what you pay for". I just got a catalogue from OPG(even it looks expensive) Now that I'm done with my project, except for a few minor details, I wish I had discovered them earlier. Heard nothing but good about them. Maybe I'll get my door lock ***** from them. Chumley
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I bought one of those. It broke after a couple months.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Ben

after 15 years in the GM A-body restoration hobby... I avoid OPG like the plague. Too many issues over the years, both with service, and quality of parts (OPG/Classic industries makes their own version of certain things, and the quality is not always the same or better)

My first choice is the local "small" restoration supply place in my area. Biscay's Classic Chev.

There are a ton of smaller specialty vendors like them all over the country who will give you great service and much more personal experience, than the "big guys", and they sell exactly same stuff (there are not that many MFG's of these parts, with a few exceptions).

I prefer to give my business to the local guy.

2nd line, for the Big Guys, i prefer National parts Depot. Good customer service, good selection.

3rd, for Olds specific, would be Fusicks.

Just sharing my experience. Your mileage may vary.
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Thumbs up

I would give OPGI four stars. I've purchased quite a few items from them for my current restoration and I'm pleased everything received. I've also had good luck with The Parts Place and Fusick. I purchased some items from Year One and it seemed many items were always back ordered so now I go to either OPGI,The Parts Place or Fusick. I tend to comparison shop on price and delivery cost. Delivery from all three have been fast and good customer service.

Just my two cents worth.
Fred
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM

OPG is a last resort for me, got burned by non fitting seat covers, non tinted correct seat covers, very poor service and a radiator with the wrong size lower outlet. Funny how they said I was the only one who ever had a problem and suggested my rear seat was not original and said since I was not the original owner I could not claim the seat to be original... after 40 year of fooling with Oldsmobiles I think I know something...
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM

I've purchased from OPG several times. Relavtively speaking they are close to Vegas and the cheapest shipping only takes a few days. Never had any problems. Their website is great, much better than Fusicks. They are a little pricey, but sometimes they are cheaper, depending on the item.

I would really like to visit their store in person.
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I have had poor fitting or defective parts from OPGI, fusicks & The parts place. It is how they respond to the issues that determine my future business. Everyone knows "The Parts Place" flat out sucks at customer service. Not all parts with OPGI are great but they take care of you if you have an issue. Never heard a bad word about Fusicks on here or anywhere else. Received a defective woodgrain gauge overlay from them. Refunded no questions asked. Parts Place could give a **** about your problems. OPGI has taken care of any part issues I have had. Legendary is top quality for interior parts and they also resolve any issues. After sending me the wrong headliner, they quickly responded by sending me a correct replacement without me sending that wrong one back! I also had a seat cover by Legendary tear on the corner while installing it. They didn't even question my methods. They sent me out a new one just based on the photos I provided. I also agree on the local parts having better service. I have "Gold Eagle Classics" less than a mile from my house. They specialize in Chevelle parts, but as you know many A body parts interchange. Another local vendor here in Oregon that is not talked about much is "Super Cars Unlimited", who also specialize in Oldsmobile. Not a ton of parts like the big boxes, but good for mechanicals. Great guys behind the counter and they take care of any issues.