OPG aftermarket window cranks

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2012, 11:04 PM

OPG aftermarket window cranks

Anyone had any bad experience with these? My original window cranks are solid and a tight fit, but I wanted black ***** instead of clear. I bought the OPG window cranks and they are really loose. Even without the clips, just holding them on the gear the originals dont have any play in the but the aftermarket ones wobble like they are on a teater or something. Do I need to just buy the factor GM ones at 7 times the price?
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:28 AM

Are you sure they are seated fully on the crank pin? They will wobble if not fully pressed on. Just a thought.
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:38 AM

Do you have the springs installed behind the door panels? Often they are missing and might solve your problem. I bought some cranks from an eBay vendor and thought the same thing when I "mock-installed" them. I then installed the springs and the cranks seemed to be OK. InLine Tube has the springs and they are cheap.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Yup, and the large grey washers that go behind the handles. You need everything to get them tight. Also...the clip really only fits on right in one direction. It could be 180 degrees off.
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll fiddle with them some more. I did try them with and without the springs and grey washer but didn't have any luck. The springs are new as I didnt have any spring installed when I got the car.
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Maybe a good set of used ones would be the way to go. Any ones used on other models having black *****?
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Maybe a good set of used ones would be the way to go. Any ones used on other models having black *****?

Good question on what came with black *****. My 70 ElCamino was factory black interior and came with the clear *****. Many years ago I harvested the cranks from a 65 Impala with chrome *****, replaced the original cranks and never looked back.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM

I played with them a bit more today and I'm just not happy with them. I'm probably being too nit-picky but I think I'll just send them back. In my mind a brand new item should fit nice and snug and not wobble more than a 42 year old part. Even if it is a remanufactured part. Thanks for the tips though. Oh, and chrome ***** off a 65 Impala. Bet those look really nice!
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:15 PM

The chrome works for me. I was never impressed with the plastic *****. If you don't care about being show car correct keep a look out for folks parting out a sixties GM or at swap meets. Most folks won't notice your window crank isn't year correct. NPG has repops for 12 bucks.

I got mine free from a car that was headed for the crusher.
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:50 AM

I bought a set from another vendor, same issues. But mine also did not have the internal splines the full depth. They ended up stripping out too.
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:06 AM

This again brings up the nagging question...
If a company is going to repop a part, why can't they be engineered to FIT CORRECTLY?
Or do they even utilize engineers?

Hope you find some good replacements.
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:27 AM

I see this as a problem also. But what I do on a new crank handle is Dremel a new pair of slots closer to the splines. Then insert the clip and pop that on the window regulator. I haven't had a problem with them stripping out like that. You just have to leave enough meat for the clip to not merge with the original slot.

It sucks to Dremel on a new handle but it is a work around.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:26 AM

theres a reason why the GMs are 7 times higher, they work as intended,,the aftermarket ones are not for a picky owner..literlally they are junk knock offs and great to spruce up an interior if youre going to sell the car, but not if you intend on keeping the car...ive never heard of anyone being happy with the knock offs..
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Lance

Window crank handles with black ***** (GM service replacement part) are still avalible thru GM parts departments, IIRC for around $33.00.