New To Olds From California-F85 Cutlass Owner

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM

New To Olds From California-F85 Cutlass Owner

I'm hoping to get my husband to this site to help us with a 1964 F85 Cutlass that we'd recently purchased. A kid had owned it, modified it, and much needs to be put right again. Thanks for what looks like a great site!
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM

Talking Welcome to Classic Olds

This is a great site for information. Lots of years of experience here with a number of guys willing to give you a hand.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

Welcome. Pontiac1?!

We don't take too kindly to you types around these here parts.

(Psssst...quiet...I've got 3 Pontiacs in the drive plus my GTO keeping the Vista Cruiser company in the garage, please don't tell anybody)
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM

Pontiac 1

Yeah, I was holding my breath seeing if anyone would notice that.... We started our car restoring phase with a basket case 1956 Pontiac Star Cheif Catalina. Then the kids came, were always hungry, wanting food, milk, and it was either feed the car or feed the kids. Now the kids are beginning to move away and we thought we'd give it another try. I found this car in the bay area several weeks ago, and it followed me home on a trailer. A kid did some kid stuff to it, but nothing that can't be undone. Someone stuck a V6 225 buick engine in it, but we've got our hands on a '64 330 V8 that will go in this winter. It might be a high compression engine, won't really know until we open it up. Now we are trying to figure out what carb to put on it. A friend of my husband is an old GM mechanic, said the Rochesters were problematic, and recommended perhaps a Carter? Any thoughts in this regard?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by pontiac1
........1956 Pontiac Star Chief Catalina ........
I had a '56 Chieftain Catalina.

........ Rochesters were problematic ........
No more than any other carb.

Contact Danny Sarvis (W30cars), via PM, for advice

Norm
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM

Someone stuck a V6 225 buick engine in it,
Errr...That someone may have been General Motors....The Buick V-6 was an option in 64.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM

GM Motor

Yeah, I know they put them in, but the vin says this one had a V8 originally, which I was happy to see. I'd like to put a/c in this California car, and I'm not sure that little V6 would be up to the task. Thanks for the info, though.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM

If it was originally a V-8 car all the better. The 6 had a smaller dia. fuel line on the opposite side of the car and smaller brakes if I remember right.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM

Welcome to the site! I'm up in Oregon which would still be a road trip but I've got a pretty good collection of spare parts. I know there's at least one other member with a 1964 in your part of the country. John
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM

Spare Parts Oregon

How far up in Oregon? I visit family up in Grants Pass periodically. We found a guy in Red Bluff California who has some spare parts, but we have to wait until Hot August Nights is over with before he'll be around to compare his list of stuff he has and the stuff we need. We've come across our first problem. We have a 330 c.i. engine, perhaps high compression, and we have a stock 2 speed Jetaway 300, and a 3 speed Jetaway 350, I believe. I guess the challege is hooking up the 3 speed. I finally got my husband to peruse the site tonight. Once I get him here and typing, the ball will be rolling forward again!
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM

I'm in Medford which is about 25 miles before Grants Pass along I-5. Are you wanting to return the car to original? If so I believe the 330 and 2 speed would be the correct setup. If you just wanted a nice driver it's not hard to install a 350 with the TH350 or even a 455 with a TH400. It's all what you want to do with the car. John
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. We look forward to hearing more about your car and your efforts to "correct" the kid stuff.
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:19 AM

OK, I guess I need to introduce myself as well. I'm pontiac1's husband (Chuck, Charles, dieselmann, whatever you whant to call me). Just to clarify what car we have, the first four of the VIN is 82 4F, which an on-line decoder shows as a V8 F-85 Cutlass, 1964, built at the Fremont, CA plant. It is a "pillared sport coupe", which is to say it's what used to be a two door sedan before "coupe" stopped meaning "two-seater". Crawling around under it last night I discovered the engine and trans that are in it are from a later car--V6 Buick was an option, but the 350 THM came out much later. The 330 in the back of my truck has the Jetaway/300 hydramatic. Whomever installed the engine/trans combo butchered it like everything else--the detent cable is wrapped around the throttle bellcrank and secured (if I can use the term loosely) with a paper clip. This is the kind of things we have to deal with to get the car up to speed. We're not looking to make it a concourse car, but we would like to make it look close to stock without breaking the bank.

Thanks for any help or advise--dieselmann
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM

If you use the 2 speed Jetaway you wont need the kickdown cable as that trans used vacuum for the downshift.
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Pontiac1, If you need help, give me a call. I know of the car you have and the guy you bought it from. I know the other guy the 330 came from. I also have the A/C parts you need. Not all but the main part and 2blue442 should have the rest.
I'm in Union City
Gene
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
........ that trans used vacuum for the downshift.
It used a vacuum modulator/electric solenoid combination, same as a TH 400.

Norm
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Yes, my memory is clearer now. I think the original type switch for the solenoid in the trans that would be needed is kinda hard to come by?
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Hey Chuck! Welcome to the forum! Greetings to a fellow 1964 Sport Coupe owner! You'll have to post some pictures of your car if you can! My car is pretty much stock so let me know if you need any pictures or advice on what stuff should look like..
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Sport Coupe friend in Canada, hello!

This is Chuck's wife, Lisa. We need to fix up the inside, I believe it has the original door panels, but they're starting to show their age and the huge speaker holes are'nt helping. Every replacement door panel we've come across is for the hard top or convertable, which appears to have a completely different pattern in it. Any clue as to where I can find replacement panels for the 2 door coupe? I'm going to try to upload 2 photos. I'd like to replace the steering wheel as well, but I'm not sure how much, if any, of the pieces will have to be replace or removed from behind the wheel.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM

That's definately the right door panels for the Sport Coupe and it's really too bad the previous owner cut them up!! They are identical to mine other than mine are green. The interior panels and fabric from what I have found is almost 100% unique to the Sport Coupe model. I know Fusick doesn't even carry the Sport Coupe interior at all :-( Interesting placement of those two aftermarket gauges... I don't know of anyone in my area with a Sport Coupe even to help with parts but I will ask around to the few Olds parts guys in this area and see if anyone knows of any..
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Have you tried SMS?
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
They might have your door panels.
DW
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM

SMS Door Panels

No I haven't! Thank you so much!! I'm filling out the form they supply right now to find out if they can help me on this. It doesn't apppear on the partial list of panels they have, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been looking on and off all day. If this pans out, I can't thank you enough! I've been sifting through tons of sights, and I'm not the greatest at searching. Lisa
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM

SMS Interior Panels

Well, I've contacted SMS and they tell me they DO make panels for this model car and are sending samples along with photos of the finished product. I guess I won't know for sure until the samples arrive, but if this pans out, we'll have some new interior stuff on order in no time. Yeay! Those holes are horrible to look at, as well as the mismatched red vinyl pieces. Thank you so much for the link! Lisa
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM

I am in the same boat with the 64(Sport Coupe) door panels,but mine are beginning to look alot better now!

this is the good side!
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM

That door panel is looking pretty good. The driver's side panel that I took a photo of was the good side, I think. The other side had the lower section replaced with a washed out red that doesn't come close to matching the original, but does match the front seats. I really am not sure what the person that was making the changes, had in mind. Perhaps just replacing with what he had. The door panels on these '64's sure look good though. It's just a sharp looking all around car. I can't wait to get mine actually on the road. But my husband wants to make sure the car is safe, and he works on cars and trucks all day long, and I don't want to kill what time he gets, making him work on a car.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM

I'm sorry, I for got to ask, did you do any repair work on your panels? They look pretty sharp! I think some of the damage on mine are past repair and I'll be better off just replacing. If the SMS panels are of the correct style. I'll get back to all if they are.
Old August 7th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Past Administrator

Hey, one of you should keep the "pontiac1" and the other should start a new user identity. That way you don't have to start your thread with 'this is Chuck" or "this is Chuck's wife".....

Man, that is too bad about the changes that were made on your car. Just look at it as an opportunity to make it "your way".
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM

no repairs yet, just cleaning. I stripped the vinyl off the arm rest as it was all cracked up. One small crack in the dash that I am going to try and repair. Not going to worry about the front seats until I find a back seat, then I'll tackle that all at once.
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Exhaust manifolds

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Pontiac1, If you need help, give me a call. I know of the car you have and the guy you bought it from. I know the other guy the 330 came from. I also have the A/C parts you need. Not all but the main part and 2blue442 should have the rest.
I'm in Union City
Gene
You don't happen to know if he has any exhaust manifolds, do you? The 330 doesn't have any. Dan thought he had a set of headers, but couldn't find them when we picked up the car and engine.

Chuck
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Took the car for our first drive of more than 1/10th of a mile. We made it about 4 miles without incident! Not bad for having the wrong engine, loose seatbelts, holes in the dual exhaust system, and an overly loud electric pump someone felt they needed to mount in the trunk. Once everything is put back as it should be, this should be a very comfortable and fun car to drive!
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Exhaust Manifolds

Hello Chuck
I've got a set from a 1965 330, should fit OK but would need to check the Wiki site to see if the casting numbers were the same as 1964. I do have a good running 330 in a 1964 parts car, I don't remember if that's a 1964 engine or not. I'm up in Medford and have other odds and ends from 1964 and 65 Cutlass/442 cars plus lots of parts into the 1970's. You can check out my photobucket site for an overview of my clutter, I mean collection
John
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Exhaust Manifolds

I don't think the exhaust manifolds really changed untill the heat riser valve was added, and even then they would bolt up. I would prefer not having the rattle valve, though. I'll need a link to your photobucket album.

Thanks,
Chuck.
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Oops! I thought I put it on the last message, but didn't.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/2blu442/

There is one sub-directory that has two 1964 Cutlass's in it although there are also photos of those two cars in the main directory. John
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM

Mannnn, I want one !!! Nice cars you guys have posted pics of. You're OK w/ me too Pontiac1, and also don't tell anyone. My first 2 cars were 64 Grand Prix's with 389's and junky Roto Hyrdamatic 375 aka Slim Jim trans. Those were also used in a few Olds models. P N D 2 1 R. Had to be careful trying to race it with R way at the back. Buddies would ask what the R was back there behind 1 and I would tell them RACE. It was more beleivable being at the back of the pattern. Although that thing shifted terrible, I could not wear them out and trust me I tried and tried. Eventually I did convert to T350 and it really put the 389 power to the ground then. No Pontiacs anymore. Just memories now, and please don't make me say what I did with those cars. SICKENING !!! However I do have 2 Pontiac 400's in the backyard. 1 is a 67 all original, never been opened up and the other a 75. I thought of using them in my Chev/GMC trucks, but have decided I want to do Olds. Now getting into the history and learning more about the Olds motors etc, I am getting real itchy to buy me an older Olds body, and I really don't care what it is, but prefer a 2 door whatever it is and prefer it to be mid to late 60's. I am new here too, so my welcome doesn't mean much, but welcome anyway. Keep up with your posts I'll be watching. I am transplanted to OK, originally born and raised in So Cal, although not homesick for that place in the least.
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Since on the subject here of 330, I seen this ad today in my area.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/1323447474.html
It was a $300, now $200. Sure thought about getting just because. He is about a 30 minute drive from me.
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM

photobucket

Lots of pictures. It's going to take a while for me to sort though them all. Thanks.

Chuck.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Oops! I thought I put it on the last message, but didn't.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k257/2blu442/

There is one sub-directory that has two 1964 Cutlass's in it although there are also photos of those two cars in the main directory. John
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM

boy I bet that test drive got you excited about what you to have to look forward to. Spur you on to get'er done