New member and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM

New member and a few questions

Hey guys,

I am new to Cutlasses and have a few questions for you. I have a 70 Cutlass convertible that has a 4 speed, OAI hood, Sport Mirrors and is all from the factory. Sport mirrors are gone, but the other options are still there. Just out of curiousity, how rare is this car with these options? Any other good classic Cutlass websites out there? Thanks.
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Well there is 442.com, oldspower.com, realoldspower.com that come to mind first. NOT that this is a bad place to get info, it just you asked for others...

The options may have been bolt-ons at the DEALER. I am not 100% sure when they stopped doing that but I know in the late 60's some of the H/O or 442 parts were bolted on via customer request. I have heard of "Cruiser" packages or "Sport" packages, but I do not know for sure all the options that they included.

You can get the mirrors (reproductions) at either fusick.com or oldsparts.com

Hope this helps.

John
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think you will find the 4-speed convertible pretty rare. There are a couple sets of sport mirrors on eby at the present time. I don't think the price was too bad yet.
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

John,

Welcome! FYI, You could order "ala carte" options that weren't listed as such well into the 70s. But I don't see anything that screams "dealer" or "off the page" ordering. All those items were indeed on the options sheets.

The 4-speed convertible is definately rare, though.

FWIW, be careful about the info on 442.com. There's lots of errors on there.

C.J.
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:42 AM

Thanks guys. It also has the full gauge package and tic-toc-tac. Thanks for the sites. I haven't seen many 4 speed cars. Seems they were mostly automatics. Also, being new to Olds, where is the VIN stamped on the block. Is it behind #8 or on the front somewhere? Thanks again.
Dave
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~csimpson/Tech/Head_ID.jpg

If it's an A/C car, you'll have to remove the alternator mounting bracket to see it.

C.J.
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:19 AM

1970 OAI 4spd car

Wow! Nice score! If you get into restoration work you can look for a build sheet to see if the items came from the factory. They're hit and miss, but some of the places I've found them are: 1) Under the back seat, up in the springs. 2) Under the carpet under the console. 3) Inside the bucket seat behind the plastic seat back. 4) On top of the gas tank, between the tank and floor of the trunk. Either way, your right that they didn't make a lot of 4 speed Cutlass's and with the options it has that's a very desireable car. There's nothing wrong with asking questions here, but if your going to keep the car or do much work on it I would highly recommend investing in a "Chassis Service Manual" They're very detail shop manuals printed by Oldsmobile when these cars were new, and an edition was printed for every year. They're on ebay all the time and prices seem to range between $25-$85 depending on condition and if it's a private party or business selling it.
Again, congrats on your toy!!!
Old January 7th, 2007, 05:07 AM

I have access to the build sheet. See, this is my buddy's car and he's getting ready to sell it. Before he does, he wants me to work on a few things the car needs. I just detailed the undercarriage and now turning my attention to a few other things. All these options did come from the factory. I wrote him to see what it said on the engine code if it's a L74 with a QB code or not. Would be something if it was. It may be a more rarer of a car than he thinks. I don't know much about Cutlass' except for what I have read limited to magazine articles. I'm a Mustang guy myself, but have owned Chevelles and GTOs as well. Thanks for the help guys. I know the car came with these options from the factory: OAI Hood, 4 speed, Sport conssole, bucket seats, Sport mirrors, Full gauges and tic-toc-tach, AM radio and I'm having him email me a photo of it so I can see all the options it may have come with myself. Thanks again! Here's a link to my site I created: www.cardomain.com/ride/2540477 and that's how she looks now!
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:17 AM

That is a sweet cleanup . I wont be so lucky when I dig in under mine. I need floors....and no amount of paint will hide that.